Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Gone Galt
22,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please post if you own a 1911 and it feeds hollow points...reliably.

I have a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and it will feed hollows if there are only 5 or 6 left in the mag. Above that I have to use Pow 'R ball ammo and its annoying.

Please post brand/model and how well it feeds hollow point ammo.

Thanks! :thumb:

· Garbage Collector
11,362 Posts
Please post if you own a 1911 and it feeds hollow points...reliably.

I have a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and it will feed hollows if there are only 5 or 6 left in the mag. Above that I have to use Pow 'R ball ammo and its annoying.

Please post brand/model and how well it feeds hollow point ammo.

Thanks! :thumb:

Get the feed ramp polished it will like them then, the 1911 was desiged for military ball ammo not modern hollow points so it needs to be tuned for them.

I have a 1943 WW2 Remington Rand contract 1911, it didn't like HP ammo at all, so I bought a new barrel and polished the feed ramp and added a stronger recoil spring problem solved.

· The Lord's Servant
2,242 Posts
I have a Kimber Classic Custom and it hasn't ever given me any problems. It eats everything. I bought some Russian .45 ammo at Wally World yesterday and took it to the range today. I wasn't sure how my .45 would do with cheap ammo and it didn't jam up once on me.

· Registered
61 Posts
I feel your pain

I have 12 1911's and only the 9mm RIA won't feed hollow points. I bought it for cheap practice so it doesn't bother me, though I would like to get that resolved at some point. I had both a stainless Mil-spec and, a stainless GI, neither of them had a problem with HP's. My $1200 Kimber did. Either send it to SA or have a gunsmith polish the ramp and tune it for you. My Kimber now runs like a champ. I wouldn't sell the gun just yet. As far as the RIA's go, my Comp Tac runs like a champ. In fact, it likes HP's better than ball or my reloads, go figure. I also have two duo-tone Taurus 1911's that have never bobbled a single round of factory ammo. Great guns.

· Registered
38 Posts
It sounds like the OP's problem is his mags. If it will feed jhp as the last few rounds but not out of a full mag the magazine spring tension is incorrect.

SWC feeding seems to be an OAL problem. My para GI will NOT feed SWC ammo if it is too long or too short and JHP ammo is not reliable if the OAL is inconsistant. Neither works well with GI mags. This pistol has had the feed ramp polished to a mirror finish and is broken in.

My STI works well with all ammo, no matter what I feed it or what mags I use. No gunsmithing done to this one at all and is the most accurate handgun I've ever owned.

· Gone Galt
22,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sounds like the OP's problem is his mags. If it will feed jhp as the last few rounds the spring tension is incorrect.
SWC feeding seems to be an OAL problem. My para GI will NOT feed SWC ammo if it is too long or too short and JHP ammo is not reliable if the OAL is inconsistant. Neither works well with GI mags. This pistol has had the feed ramp polished to a mirror finish and is broken in.
My STI works well with all ammo, no matter what I feed it or what mags I use. No gunsmithing done to this one at all and is the most accurate handgun I've ever owned.
I use Kimber Kim-Pro Tac mags, but it does it with any other brand I've tried

· Registered
38 Posts
Next step would be to have at the feed ramp with a Dremel tool. Mount up a felt bob and coat it with jeweler's rouge and have at it. If the problem continues a new recoil spring MAY help, but I doubt it.
Is the mag "snug" in the magwell? A mag that changes angle slightly as it's emptied could cause this problem as well. It would be very unusual but it's possible. The magwell could be slightly oversize allowing some slop.
Also would be a good idea to make sure the mag catch is fully engaging the slot in the mag.

· coffee enthusiast
218 Posts
I have a Kimber Custom II and shoot Remington Golden Sabre hollow points in it. Kimber is an excellent 45. If any of you are looking for a great .45 hollow point to add to the arsenal, check out the Golden Sabre.

Regards to all ~

· Registered
1,957 Posts
My Springfield Mil-spec handles hollowpoints with no problems. I use Wolff 7 round mags in them and Remington 230 jhp and Hydro-shok 230gr also equally well. The Wolff mags follow the original GI design and specs for maximum reliability and have a extra power spring.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.