Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They want to spend some $50 million to prevent a self-correcting problem. I think the money could be far better spent.

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The California panel that oversees the Golden Gate Bridge voted on Friday to install netting to catch would-be suicides throwing themselves off the famous span.

The 4,200-foot-long (1,280-meter-long) suspension bridge, which crosses the entrance to San Francisco Bay, is a tourist magnet that also draws people trying to end their lives.

There were 39 confirmed suicides from the bridge in 2007, with seven unconfirmed cases, and 19 confirmed so far this year, bridge officials said.

The netting would be set 20 feet below the sidewalk and extend out 20 feet from the bridge. Officials estimate the barrier will cost $40 million to $50 million.

A suicide barrier beneath the link between San Francisco and Marin County has been debated since the 1970s, said Mary Currie, a spokesperson for the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District.

Building the barrier will take several years, and the project needs additional environmental study, she said.

(Reporting by Gabriel Madway; Editing by Xavier Briand)

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diving platforms and body ID tags would be cheaper.:D:
Absolutely.... spending $50 million to catch three dozen jumpers is pathetic nonsense... diving platforms is exactly what is called for. Suicide is a self-correcting problem. Don't spend public money on it.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
The majority of the jumpers are probably decent people who can't find their way out of that sh#thole.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I can see it now.
Install the idiot net.
Idiots jump 20 feet.
Climbs to the edge of the idiot net, jumps the other 180 feet and die anyway....state wants 50 million to build a second lower idiot net.............

Reactions: rncmomx2

·
Registered
33 Posts
So my question is, the net is 20 feet below the span and goes out 20 feet from the edge, so after I jump and fall into this net what’s to stop me from going to the edge of the net and taking a just as lethal jump that’s 20 feet shorter? In the end if you’re going to take your life, you’re going to find a way.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
All the net is is a way for the city to make more revenue off the prescription drugs there gonna give these idiots after they strap them in a straight jacket and put them in the white padded room for ever

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
So you enclose the walkways. If that doesn't work you entirely ban foot traffic on the bridge. Suicides are always going to happen. But I would oppose the suicide barrier simply because it gives liberals an effective final solution for a quick end to their miserable existence. Hey, it's the Peoples' Republic of Kalifornia. You put up a barricade and Nancy Pelosi won't be able to chunky dunk in the Pacific the hard way. Besides, with all those plastic surgeries, she'll probably float for years any way.

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
If they do install the netting,I'll take a jump,might as well get my money's worth.

·
Banned
653 Posts
The majority of the jumpers are probably decent people who can't find their way out of that sh#thole.
Greyhound, $59 one way fares....Of course when you're taxed like that, you can't afford $59!!!

The jumpers will just jump to the net, then off the net....

I got a better idea, let illegals put the net up, use sub standard parts from China, then test it by throwing Pelosi off the bridge!!!

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
I bet theyre doing that to arrest the person for attempting suicide and improperly parking an auto and a host of other charges to try to increase revenue. yeah thet'd bring back my will to live

Reactions: test and Silveressa

·
Registered
356 Posts
Greyhound, $59 one way fares....Of course when you're taxed like that, you can't afford $59!!!

The jumpers will just jump to the net, then off the net....

I got a better idea, let illegals put the net up, use sub standard parts from China, then test it by throwing Pelosi off the bridge!!!
Don't forget Gayvin Newsome.

·
Registered
126 Posts
lol i remember seein this on the new, don't know if any of you been on the golden gate bridge before but, there are alotta people who jump off that thing, gavin newsom has a thing on spending money of stuff that really doesn't need it

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Gavin is a real peach he is.
That's why SF is about $350 million in the hole this year.
Wonder how that sanctuary sh¡tty thing is working out anywhere other than Gavins orifice?
The scary part is he wants to be Governor so badly I hear he sneaks in and licks the seat cushion when the Jerkinator isn't there.
He and Antonio Vaigra-raigosa. Might as well make a joint position out of it and just quick sink the whole Hesperus.

Reactions: test
1 - 20 of 32 Posts