Survivalist Forum banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Jackpine Savage
4,322 Posts
Plus I only mow a couple of times a year because if the crested wheat grass is kept low it dries out too fast. We don't get much if any rain in the summer months.
A lot of years I don't mow from July 4th till mid August. My reasoning is who gives a **** my grass may be long but at least it's green rather than the short cropped brown **** most people have.

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,404 Posts
A lot of years I don't mow from July 4th till mid August. My reasoning is who gives a ** my grass may be long but at least it's green rather than the short cropped brown ** most people have.
I have to mow in the fall after the grass dries out (not irrigated, little rain) so that it doesn't catch fire and burn the mountain down. Most of the people up here do the same if they have the same type of foliage on their lots.
I have a very small patch of sod grass that I water throughout the summer. That's where the 25 year-old MTD walk-behind comes into play.

Must be nice, I'm usually mowing twice a week from March through October .
When I built here after 45 years with no attention to the property I thought I would be blessed with little or no yard work. I was wrong. Just a different kind of yard work.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My neighbor friend had one. Remember the "Combat Wombat"?
Oh yes. The neat thing about Hodaka was you could upgrade any motorcycle to the newest model simply by buying the newest parts. They felt so light and nimble when you rode them. And getting the front wheel off the ground at any speed was just a twist of the throttle and a yank on the bars and you were on the back wheel. Try that with your overweight battery powered scooter.

I was also known to carry a small bottle with a quart of gas in it just in case I ran out way off on one of my adventures. A quart would would get you to a gas station somewhere. Run out of volts on your electric ride and I guess you learn the joys of a long push back.

·
MyPrepperLife
4,264 Posts
The "greenies" are just getting crazier and more heavy-handed. A bill has been introduced in the California legislature to ban small gas-burning engines. As "sources of greenhouse gasses". All in the name of their "climate-change" religion:

So--all you dads out there who want to get your kids the fun of a mini-bike, you can tell Junior to just forget about it!

These climate-change fanatics must be the most sour and fun-hating people on the planet. Even denying little kids the joy of tootling-around on a minibike.

He can spend his time instead, on using push manual lawn mowers to cut your lawn. And sweep up all those grass clippings entirely by hand.

View attachment 363466

He can spend his time and energy pushing one of these instead:

View attachment 363467
That's insane. California Democrats are idiots. As somebody in this thread has said (I can't remember who), as time goes by, many more people will make the move to battery-powered tools and gadgets anyway.

I've noticed that when I buy something, lots of times there is special product verbiage for California: "This item cannot be shipped to California" or "Refer to emissions warning for State of California," or something.

I'm glad I live on the other side of the country.

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,652 Posts
I’m too old now to be going home after a weekend of hard, desert riding with my body parts bandaged and taped on.
This is my desert rider now. I understand California wants them to be “smog compliant” if they are to be licensed in Ca.
088B2620-61F8-448E-BDDA-EE33733C29C2.jpeg

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
My property isn't uniform like a flat pasture. There are a lot of 40' conifers, snow berry bushes and uneven terrain to navigate around. I had to try and increase the deck height so as to not hit hidden objects on the ground. One of my neighbors has a 60" zero turn which works fine for him but one would be too wide to navigate some of the narrow spaces between my trees. Plus I only mow a couple of times a year because if the crested wheat grass is kept low it dries out too fast. We don't get much if any rain in the summer months.
We have a lot of trees also and I mow around our inground pool area. I have a heavily wooded area in addition to the 5 acres that I mow using the highest "transport" deck setting. I removed the rubber discharge chute to get into tighter areas but that isn't a problem since no neighbors live near to us. I mow weekly in the summer and have just over 500 hours on my mower and it still runs and cuts well. Ariens (Gravely) switched from a Kawasaki V-twin engine (mine) to a Kohler to save money before they finally discontinued the model. My guess is it was too close in build quality to a full commercial mower.
Mine is like this but with a Kawasaki engine: Ariens 991087 MaxZoom60 60-Inch 25HP Zero Turn Lawn Mower (mowersdirect.com)

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Oh yes. The neat thing about Hodaka was you could upgrade any motorcycle to the newest model simply by buying the newest parts. They felt so light and nimble when you rode them. And getting the front wheel off the ground at any speed was just a twist of the throttle and a yank on the bars and you were on the back wheel. Try that with your overweight battery powered scooter.

I was also known to carry a small bottle with a quart of gas in it just in case I ran out way off on one of my adventures. A quart would would get you to a gas station somewhere. Run out of volts on your electric ride and I guess you learn the joys of a long push back.
Man I wanted a Hodaka when I was youngster. I never had the money growing up.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
What will the Forestry Service use in place of chainsaws, during a forest fire?

What will Search and Rescue units use when mechanized vehicles and equipment are needed in difficult terrain?

What will the Fire Departments use in place of the K12, Positive Pressure Smoke Ejector, or generator, during a structure fire?
I have sold a bunch of Dewalt 9" Rotary saw kits with diamond rescue blade (9") - Great for opening tin roofs, cars, grain bins. 12lb up the ladder or overhead vs 35lb of a K12. NO contest. $850. Dewalt 60v chainsaw with conversion FD bar and carbide chain. ALWAY starts and away you go (your chainsaw chaps/turnout gear aren't going to slow down a battery saw if you get the stupids).

If you're on a FD buy a "Blowhard" PPV Fan - GREAT piece of kit have sold a BUNCH Bit expensive at $3500 but LOTS of repeat/multiple buyers. Once the neighbors see in use most buy one/two. The gas PPV fan is a dinosaur/totally obsolete boat anchor.

Supervac now makes a similar battery powered PPV fan in either Dewalt Flexvolt or Milwaukee M20 battery versions (90% of the Blowhard but more flexible use of the batteries).

GENERATOR? what decade are you living in? Haven't sold an engine with a generator in 10yrs. LED emergency and scenelights and the engines all have 270Amp+ alternators. For portable get Streamlight Scenelight II and HL (two other great pieces).

Still using the old gas powered "Jaws"? Sell the local junkyard. Battery powered extrication equipment rules. Amkus with Dewalt Flexvolt leading the pack.

Quality lithium powercells have remade much of the Fire service in the last few years. damn chicom batteries. THERE is where Obiden "infrastructure" boondoggle would have potential. And use made LEDs.

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
5,235 Posts
I get your point, however, I'm 100% sure you know airplanes are not "topped off" for every flight. In fact, it is rare to top off.

Nor is the fuel use as horrible as it may seem. Modern airliners get about 100 to 120 passenger miles per gallon at 70% seat occupancy.

I work at the airport and I can't stand excessive jet exhaust. Of note, the GE Passport engine on the Global 7500 is the ONLY aircraft engine that passes my "sniff test". In other words, the exhaust is very clean smelling and not bothersome in any way.
"Aircraft efficiency differs, as do the conditions on different routes—a domestic airliner can get anywhere from 45.5 to 77.6 miles per gallon per passenger, with an industry average of about 51 miles per gallon of fuel per passenger. "

·
Registered
55 Posts
The "greenies" are just getting crazier and more heavy-handed. A bill has been introduced in the California legislature to ban small gas-burning engines. As "sources of greenhouse gasses". All in the name of their "climate-change" religion:

So--all you dads out there who want to get your kids the fun of a mini-bike, you can tell Junior to just forget about it!

These climate-change fanatics must be the most sour and fun-hating people on the planet. Even denying little kids the joy of tootling-around on a minibike.

He can spend his time instead, on using push manual lawn mowers to cut your lawn. And sweep up all those grass clippings entirely by hand.

View attachment 363466

He can spend his time and energy pushing one of these instead:

View attachment 363467

another reason why i hate it here

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I have sold a bunch of Dewalt 9" Rotary saw kits with diamond rescue blade (9") - Great for opening tin roofs, cars, grain bins. 12lb up the ladder or overhead vs 35lb of a K12. NO contest. $850. Dewalt 60v chainsaw with conversion FD bar and carbide chain. ALWAY starts and away you go (your chainsaw chaps/turnout gear aren't going to slow down a battery saw if you get the stupids).

If you're on a FD buy a "Blowhard" PPV Fan - GREAT piece of kit have sold a BUNCH Bit expensive at $3500 but LOTS of repeat/multiple buyers. Once the neighbors see in use most buy one/two. The gas PPV fan is a dinosaur/totally obsolete boat anchor.

Supervac now makes a similar battery powered PPV fan in either Dewalt Flexvolt or Milwaukee M20 battery versions (90% of the Blowhard but more flexible use of the batteries).

GENERATOR? what decade are you living in? Haven't sold an engine with a generator in 10yrs. LED emergency and scenelights and the engines all have 270Amp+ alternators. For portable get Streamlight Scenelight II and HL (two other great pieces).

Still using the old gas powered "Jaws"? Sell the local junkyard. Battery powered extrication equipment rules. Amkus with Dewalt Flexvolt leading the pack.

Quality lithium powercells have remade much of the Fire service in the last few years. damn chicom batteries. THERE is where Obiden "infrastructure" boondoggle would have potential. And use made LEDs.
Curious as to how you recharge the batteries in this equipment in the field? This would be a situation where the equipment can't make it back to normal utility power for recharging.

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
5,235 Posts
Curious as to how you recharge the batteries in this equipment in the field? This would be a situation where the equipment can't make it back to normal utility power for recharging.
Call AAA - they'll send someone with a L-O-N-G extension cord. [humor flag off]

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
We staked goats in the yard and around buildings. They ate everything until we ate them.

I had to mow once or twice a month in spring and once every month in summer depending on rain. If if dried we used the 6 foot mower on the tractor. Otherwise a brush hog type.

The thing is, why ban? Why not let it take its course. Many people can get by with batteries. Many people can't. I use led or more efficient lights in my house now. But I only bought them as replacements in areas they work the best. For a long time they didn't like cold or short cycling. So I put them where the lights stayed on the most inside. I unscrewed the existing bulbs and used those outside as replacements.

To the government hammer, everything looks like a nail to pound on. Or bend if it doesn't go in like they want.

That's the main issue. Spend a little while trimming around the house and electricity is fine. Spent a day out on the farm cutting wood, it probably falls short. Why not own both? Well because the government says you can't. It's not about technology or innovation. It's about being able to choose the best tool for the job at hand.

Soon they'll tell you not to mow by banning grass. No wood burning, no traveling outside your designated area. Etc etc. It's what governments always do. Grow until they collapse under their own weight.

·
Jackpine Savage
4,322 Posts
That's what mine is being used for. That and cutting fire wood. I bought this bad boy. I'll go try it out and check back.

====
Update: Not great. Faster than my finer toothed wood blade but more difficult to control and it tends to bind and kick back.

I'll try something else. It did manage to go through a 10" dry log but the 2 amp-hour battery could probably only get two cuts on a log that big.
Yes please report back because I'm thinking offhand that mine are 6TPI for nail embedded wood. I'd have to look but I think that the only 3TPI blades that I have are stainless for meat.

BTW not really worth it if you just want to cut up a deer, mine get used for cutting up ham bones into sections to open up the marrow for really good beans or soup, or for making bone broth.

ETA: Ok I just ordered 3 of them even without the review because the wife was reading over my shoulder.
Mine came in yesterday and I agree with your update. Cutting 5"-6" seasoned maple was an excercise in futility. Quickly went back to the 9" 6tpi nail embedded wood blades.

I'm wondering if the 18V saw just doesn't have the power for those bigger blades.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Keep in mind, they view you owning 5 acres as part of the problem. The are getting two birds with one stone: getting rid of gas engines AND making your lifestyle just a bit harder. If they can make your lifestyle impossible you may eventually give up and move to an apartment in the city.

HHmmmm , that will happen along about the time the Rangers and the Redwings play for the Stanley Cup in Hell with BeezleBub and Mary Magdalene as referees.

·
The Power of the Glave
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
The thing is, why ban? Why not let it take its course. Many people can get by with batteries. Many people can't.

To the government hammer, everything looks like a nail to pound on. Or bend if it doesn't go in like they want.
That's the problem I've noticed with the liberal Left. They aren't content with simply letting people make their own choices. Based on each individual's determination from the facts. Instead, they are always wanting "to pass a law" to COMPEL compliance.

Laws should only be passed when there is a clear need for them. I've noted how many "progressives" simply can't stand the idea of people making their own choices. They have a fixation on getting some "big brother" to beat people into getting the world around them, to comply with their vision of what things should be like.

If some people think gasoline powered small engines are bad, than ok---let them go out and convert everything they have to "green" power. That's their choice to make.

But don't FORCE it on others.

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
And getting the front wheel off the ground at any speed was just a twist of the throttle and a yank on the bars and you were on the back wheel. Try that with your overweight battery powered scooter.
Do it with a battery powered MOTORCYCLE like your Hodaka was, and you'll be on your back fast unless you are careful. They do make more torque than any gas powered thing out there, and they were all set to change supercross and stadium moto cross, until fans said they wanted the roar. Because the e-bikes were faster, in both acceleration and top end.

That said...I'm on your side, the range and inability to "fill and go" would be a serious issue for me.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts