Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,404 Posts
The sawz all gets used by my wife and son for cutting up large limbs that blow down into the yard to kindling as well.
That's what mine is being used for. That and cutting fire wood. I bought this bad boy. I'll go try it out and check back.

====
Update: Not great. Faster than my finer toothed wood blade but more difficult to control and it tends to bind and kick back.

I'll try something else. It did manage to go through a 10" dry log but the 2 amp-hour battery could probably only get two cuts on a log that big.

·
Banned
6,874 Posts
The "greenies" are just getting crazier and more heavy-handed. A bill has been introduced in the California legislature to ban small gas-burning engines. As "sources of greenhouse gasses". All in the name of their "climate-change" religion:

So--all you dads out there who want to get your kids the fun of a mini-bike, you can tell Junior to just forget about it!

These climate-change fanatics must be the most sour and fun-hating people on the planet. Even denying little kids the joy of tootling-around on a minibike.

He can spend his time instead, on using push manual lawn mowers to cut your lawn. And sweep up all those grass clippings entirely by hand.

View attachment 363466

He can spend his time and energy pushing one of these instead:

View attachment 363467

I am so glad i fled that state in 95, never looked back...

they deserve everything that happens to them...

·
Jackpine Savage
4,322 Posts
That's what mine is being used for. That and cutting fire wood. I bought this bad boy. I'll go try it out and check back.

Yes please report back because I'm thinking offhand that mine are 6TPI for nail embedded wood. I'd have to look but I think that the only 3TPI blades that I have are stainless for meat.

BTW not really worth it if you just want to cut up a deer, mine get used for cutting up ham bones into sections to open up the marrow for really good beans or soup, or for making bone broth.

ETA: Ok I just ordered 3 of them even without the review because the wife was reading over my shoulder.

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,404 Posts
I covered a lot of Mojave Desert on a Bultaco 250 Pursang. I wish I had it now.

Pic is not mine.... View attachment 363648
Those bikes won a lot of races and were highly coveted. The fiberglass tanks tended to leak. I had a little Montessa Cota 125 trials bike. I traded a Commodore VIC-20 for it. :p

That pic of the 250 Pursang sure is a beaut. My Husky had similar Akron rims which liked to fill up with sand. A couple extra pounds per wheel of un-sprung weight.:oops:

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,404 Posts

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,404 Posts
One of the biggest reasons why the greens want to ban small gasoline engines such as string trimmers, chain saws and mini-bikes is the 2-stroke engine they use.

Conventional two-strokes are an emissions nightmare because they don’t burn all of the fuel they draw in. They send it out the exhaust. Part of the reason two-strokes are so sloppy with fuel is the odd but necessary situation of the exhaust port being open while the cylinder is being filled with a fresh charge. Misfiring is the other problem, especially under light loads. It happens because two-strokes use the incoming fresh charge to push out the burned charge. Light loads and moderate engine speeds don’t get things moving well enough to prevent the fresh charge from being mixed with unburnable exhaust.

BTW, Yamaha still builds and sells a 2-stoke 250cc motocross motorcycle.

My buddy just bought three of them. One for himself and two for his boys.

If I wasn't so damned old I'd get one for myself.

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
5,235 Posts
The futility of banning small gasoline fueled engines while ignoring the massive consumption of a jet airliner is evident.
FUEL FOR THOUGHT
Boeing 737-800
Maximum Fuel Capacity 6,875 U.S. gal (26,020 L), $11,687.5 for a fill-up.
The plane burns 850 gallons per hour.
Roughly eight hours between refuelings.
The 737-800 seats 162 passengers in a two-class layout or 189 passengers* in a one-class layout.
(36.37 gallons per passenger*, at $1.71/gallon = $62.20)
(6875 gallons equivalent to a car traveling 206,250 miles, at 30 mpg)
LAX has an average of 1,659 flights per day ... according to FAA and LAWA data, more than 605,480 flights per year.
Which is the equivalent of adding approximately 605,480 car lifespans per year... or 6 million automobiles per year @ 20,000 miles/year.... more if the mileage drops.
Just for ONE airport.
. . .
Lowes figured out his (riding) mowers used about 2.5 gallons of gasoline per hour, so one jet plane trip is equivalent to 2,750 man hours of mowing the grass.
One day's average flight tally at LAX consumes the fuel of 4,562,250 man hours of lawncare.
(Imagine adding in SF, and other big cities, to that tally)
And we haven't factored in MILITARY FLIGHTS and their massive consumption of fuel per hour.
. . .
Turfgrass is an important component of many landscapes with an estimated 4 million acres of managed turf in California. Assuming 1/4 acre per lot, there's 16 million lawns that won't be "contributing" to "greenhouse gases" [sarcasm].
Just ignore aviation's contribution.

. . .
POLITICAL MANIPULATION UNDER THE GUISE OF "ANTHROPOGENIC" CLIMATE CHANGE - A HOAX.
Why?
If the "money" believed it was true, Al Gore and BHO wouldn't be buying oceanfront property. Millionaires would be selling off their coastal properties and heading for the "hills."
And if "they" really wanted to cut fuel consumption and waste, it would be far better to switch to ELECTRIC TRACTION RAIL (90% SAVINGS), than mandate electric / battery powered automobiles, which are still the most wasteful form of land transport. (And ignoring the bump in household electric bills from "plugging in Bessie"- and the drain on existing capacity.)
And they'd change the insulation recommendation to reach "superinsulation" levels, rather than subsidize wasteful houses, or give fuel vouchers to the poor.
As long as they're spending "other people's money" who cares?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Be careful jetgraphics. Your ability to use logic and reason could get you in trouble with the "forces that be" that don't like free thinkers. You may end up in a re-education camp one day. Or worse, be banished to California.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I have about 3 acres of crested wheat grass (stuff can grow 5' high if you let it) with many trees around. I drive the 46" Cub Cadet to get most of the grass and the EGO string trimmer to get right around the trees. By the time the battery is dead I'm also dead. My gas powered string trimmer is under the shed where it shall remain.

What's wrong with having both? I hate noisy lawn equipment. Droning leaf blowers, string trimmers - and then there's my Cub Cadet with its 22 HP V-twin and 46" twin blade deck. I wear ear protection with that thing. Luckily my neighbors are far enough away that it doesn't bother them. It takes me about two days to mow the whole thing. I could do it all in one if I did nothing else that day.

Cub Cadet now has an electric version.

It costs twice what I paid for my gas version.
I mow just under 5 acres with my 60" zero turn...takes me just over 2 hours. Your comment is the reason I didn't buy a less expensive garden tractor. I figured it would take a couple of days also if I'd saved the upfront money if I went the garden tractor route. But then, I'm still using the same zero turn I bought new 11 years ago. If I went the garden tractor route, I'd be on the 2nd or 3rd one by now.

·
Paleoconservative
1,334 Posts
Needs a fake tailpipe. Maybe duals, since that's the thing now, even if your car only has a 150hp 4 cyl in it with a single straw size pipe going from the engine to the back bumper. Some goober in the aftermarket will put out a glasspacks noise generator, bet on it. And a jake brake one so the electric semi truck guys don't feel left out.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
They will probably add speakers to make fake engine noises.
I think they have already done this on electric vehicles. SMDH.
I mentioned electric RC model planes in my post above. Some flying fields are now electric only for noise reduction. And some of those electric flyers are now adding a sound device that adds an engine sound to their electric planes. And its linked to the throttle so the sound speeds up as the throttle is opened. How dumb is that?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I covered a lot of Mojave Desert on a Bultaco 250 Pursang. I wish I had it now.

Pic is not mine.... View attachment 363648
Ya gotta stop showing pictures like that. I already want another motorcycle like it is. There is a fellow here somewhere in my neighborhood who rides and old Yamaha DT250 around and it looks show room new. If I can ever flag him down I am going to give it a good looking over.

The best motorcycle I ever owned was a 1982 Honda XL250. It was a 4 stroke four valves per cylinder engine with a 6 speed gear box. It was the only motorcycle I added a one tooth larger sprocket to the front sprocket because I thought it was geared too low. And it still had all the power needed to climb any hill you had the nads to point it up. The top speed was 76mph. Uphill, downhill, in the wind, against the wind, one rider, two riders it just didn't matter. I would love to have that bike back again.

Anyone remember Hodaka motorcycles? Never had one but did ride a couple. What a neat concept they were.

Hodaka.jpg

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,404 Posts
I mow just under 5 acres with my 60" zero turn...takes me just over 2 hours. Your comment is the reason I didn't buy a less expensive garden tractor. I figured it would take a couple of days also if I'd saved the upfront money if I went the garden tractor route. But then, I'm still using the same zero turn I bought new 11 years ago. If I went the garden tractor route, I'd be on the 2nd or 3rd one by now.
My property isn't uniform like a flat pasture. There are a lot of 40' conifers, snow berry bushes and uneven terrain to navigate around. I had to try and increase the deck height so as to not hit hidden objects on the ground. One of my neighbors has a 60" zero turn which works fine for him but one would be too wide to navigate some of the narrow spaces between my trees. Plus I only mow a couple of times a year because if the crested wheat grass is kept low it dries out too fast. We don't get much if any rain in the summer months.

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,762 Posts
The futility of banning small gasoline fueled engines while ignoring the massive consumption of a jet airliner is evident.
FUEL FOR THOUGHT
Boeing 737-800
Maximum Fuel Capacity 6,875 U.S. gal (26,020 L), $11,687.5 for a fill-up.
I get your point, however, I'm 100% sure you know airplanes are not "topped off" for every flight. In fact, it is rare to top off.

Nor is the fuel use as horrible as it may seem. Modern airliners get about 100 to 120 passenger miles per gallon at 70% seat occupancy.

I work at the airport and I can't stand excessive jet exhaust. Of note, the GE Passport engine on the Global 7500 is the ONLY aircraft engine that passes my "sniff test". In other words, the exhaust is very clean smelling and not bothersome in any way.

61 - 80 of 123 Posts