Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
After years of watching loud lawn services blow debris into roads, onto cars and into my yard, I'm anti gas blower too...
So if they use battery powered blowers to blow debris into roads and on cars and and in your yard its OK? Just as long as they do it quietly? :devilish:

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
They waited until battery technology for high demand use implements to be developed enough to try this...
At this point they basically make everything battery powered and to be totally honest if an electric mini bike is the same price as a gas il take electric any day. No carb to clean, nearly silent and you arnt doing the tour de France on a mini bike so range isnt much of an issue.

I actualy seriously looking at buying an E bike due to the amount of trails you have acess to on a bike. Basically I would use it as a electric motorcycle...then I looked at my fat belly and wallet and decided on a pedal bike. Lol

14,877 Posts
What will the Forestry Service use in place of chainsaws, during a forest fire?

What will Search and Rescue units use when mechanized vehicles and equipment are needed in difficult terrain?

What will the Fire Departments use in place of the K12, Positive Pressure Smoke Ejector, or generator, during a structure fire?

What will field hospitals, or governmental and non governmental field emergency units use for electricity?

What will Farmers and Ranchers use when a horse or truck isn't practical to move people and/or equipment, and require a Gator, dirt bike, snow machine, or ATV?

·
Registered
814 Posts
What will the Forestry Service use in place of chainsaws, during a forest fire?

What will Search and Rescue units use when mechanized vehicles and equipment are needed in difficult terrain?

What will the Fire Departments use in place of the K12, Positive Pressure Smoke Ejector, or generator, during a structure fire?

What will field hospitals, or governmental and non governmental field emergency units use for electricity?

What will Farmers and Ranchers use when a horse or truck isn't practical to move people and/or equipment, and require a Gator, dirt bike, snow machine, or ATV?
C'mon. You know .gov in all permutations will have an exemption.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Convert everything to electricity and electricity supply will be more unstable.

Think Texas when it got really cold. Or CA if it gets really hot. AC, transportation, lawn care, cooking, lights, all competing for the same electrons. Electricity supply, demand, and pricing becomes unstable. Every time.

Add to it trying to convert to wind and solar at the same time. Should be fun.

If you want power in the future, generate it yourself.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I have about 5 acres of grass with many trees to cut around. I wouldn't mange to get it cut before the snow covered it with an electric mower.
Keep in mind, they view you owning 5 acres as part of the problem. The are getting two birds with one stone: getting rid of gas engines AND making your lifestyle just a bit harder. If they can make your lifestyle impossible you may eventually give up and move to an apartment in the city.

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,404 Posts
I have about 5 acres of grass with many trees to cut around. I wouldn't mange to get it cut before the snow covered it with an electric mower.
I have about 3 acres of crested wheat grass (stuff can grow 5' high if you let it) with many trees around. I drive the 46" Cub Cadet to get most of the grass and the EGO string trimmer to get right around the trees. By the time the battery is dead I'm also dead. My gas powered string trimmer is under the shed where it shall remain.

What's wrong with having both? I hate noisy lawn equipment. Droning leaf blowers, string trimmers - and then there's my Cub Cadet with its 22 HP V-twin and 46" twin blade deck. I wear ear protection with that thing. Luckily my neighbors are far enough away that it doesn't bother them. It takes me about two days to mow the whole thing. I could do it all in one if I did nothing else that day.

Cub Cadet now has an electric version.

It costs twice what I paid for my gas version.

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,404 Posts
Keep in mind, they view you owning 5 acres as part of the problem. The are getting two birds with one stone: getting rid of gas engines AND making your lifestyle just a bit harder. If they can make your lifestyle impossible you may eventually give up and move to an apartment in the city.
The end plan is to do away with single family homes and replace them with high density high-rise apartments. The carrot and the stick is federal money to counties. Make sure your county commission hears you. They control zoning.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They banned leaf blowers but every landscaper service in my area still uses them every dam day to accomplish abso****ing-lutely nothing.
A ban on engines is just going to be another “hidden law” that is never enforced but exists to give police even more reasons to detain you whenever they want.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
As a kid of 12-15 I lived on my dirt bike. I rode all over the place. I always had at least $.50 on me because in 1970 that would almost fill the tank up on my Suzuki 90 and get me back home. I would have hated to run out of charge 3 miles from home and have to push some overweight battery powered bike back home.

I posted that i fly RC model planes. When I run low on fuel I land and gas up and take back off. The electric guys can change batteries if they have them and if not then they park their planes and charge for half an hour before they can fly again. And I hate the way the electric planes sound. They sound like a hair dryer flying around.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The end plan is to do away with single family homes and replace them with high density high-rise apartments. The carrot and the stick is federal money to counties. Make sure your county commission hears you. They control zoning.
They don't outright ban it yet but they chip away at affordable ways for an average person to have anything more than an apartment. I think tiny houses, bus conversions and van lifers are in many cases(or most) a push back against the high cost and legal hoops you have to jump through in order to live as you want.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
What's wrong with having both?
There's the rub. They can't have them side by side. They must be gone now to save the planet.

You know what works better, not tossing stuff and ordering new. We'd be better off if things lasted longer.

I'm on my 3rd cordless drill set. The batteries eventually fade and/or the charger stops working. It's cheaper to buy the whole set new and toss them then to buy a new battery and charger.

I use my old plug in hand drill for heavy duty stuff. Or the bench drill. See I can save the planet too.

Just like I use the same lawnmower I bought 22 years ago when I bought my house. Because it's dumb to toss something that exists and does the job in the name of saving the planet. Who here expects to get 20+ years from their battery powered mower? My guess is 5 tops then it hits the landfill and China makes a new one, ships it to the US, and Amazon drives it to your house.

The new rules are to destroy options and drive sales to preferred countries and businesses. Forced obsolescence because planned takes too long.

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
5,235 Posts
... and you can bet the farm, that when said law is enacted, it will have trapdoors, exclusions and exceptions so it does not trespass upon the rights of the sovereign people... what few remain.

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,404 Posts
As a kid of 12-15 I lived on my dirt bike. I rode all over the place. I always had at least $.50 on me because in 1970 that would almost fill the tank up on my Suzuki 90 and get me back home.
Mine was a Honda 90 Scrambler. I was on that thing from the time I got up in the morning until dinner time in the evening. I wore it completely out and upgraded to a Kawasaki 175 enduro after I got out of high school. I've owned many motorcycles since and there most definitely won't be an electric one in my future. However, I have considered an electric bicycle.

Why can't I have both?

I'm on my 3rd cordless drill set. The batteries eventually fade and/or the charger stops working. It's cheaper to buy the whole set new and toss them then to buy a new battery and charger.
Me too. It's a Ryobi 18volt one which I just bought two new batteries for. It's been a great drill. I also have the skill saw and sawzall 18volt tools too. Instead of buying one large and heavy 4 amp hour battery, I bought two 2 amp hour batteries for less money.

Just like I use the same lawnmower I bought 22 years ago when I bought my house. Because it's dumb to toss something that exists and does the job in the name of saving the planet.
Amen.

I also still have and use my MTD walk-behind mower that I bought in '93. It's on its last legs but still starts on the 2nd pull. There is one bearing on the blade clutch that I can replace and get it back to a more reliable condition.

======

I know this thread isn't about cars, but what will TPTB do about the end of life of electric cars and their not-so-easily-removed batteries? You can't just put them in a car crusher or shredder like you can ICE cars.

·
Bug-In Prepper
1,314 Posts
I know this thread isn't about cars, but what will TPTB do about the end of life of electric cars and their not-so-easily-removed batteries? You can't just put them in a car crusher or shredder like you can ICE cars.
The plan is to extract and recycle the batteries and motors.

Lithium, copper and neodymium are expensive and there's enough of them in EVs that reconditioning them for reuse makes good economic sense.

·
Jackpine Savage
4,322 Posts
Me too. It's a Ryobi 18volt one which I just bought two new batteries for. It's been a great drill. I also have the skill saw and sawzall 18volt tools too. Instead of buying one large and heavy 4 amp hour battery, I bought two 2 amp hour batteries for less money
The batteries go on sale around 2 for 1 at fathers day and from black friday till new years. Usually at that time you can get a tool and battery for the cost of the tool. I suggest adding a 90* drill. Really like mine for getting into tight spots.

If you're going to use those saws for much you want bigger batteries. I have the 4AH and am planning on getting a couple 6AH next sale. Mine are used for cutting up old pallets for kindling as well as small house projects. The sawz all gets used by my wife and son for cutting up large limbs that blow down into the yard to kindling as well.

41 - 60 of 123 Posts