Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
California residents don't learn and expect the State to help after a big Quake, the OES sounds a little miffed about the lack of preparedness. I would expect to start seeing those public service messages again on Quake prep, I foresee looting in Calif future.

"Cities, counties and Gov. Jerry Brown’s Office of Emergency Services say a big quake will overwhelm police and fire crews and require citizens to take care of themselves for a week, maybe longer."

"Still, if the past is any guide, the vivid images from Mexico City may not be enough to persuade Californians to sock away food, water, flashlights and extra cash. Surveys have shown that less than half of Californians have done enough to make their homes safer in advance of a big earthquake."

"That is a big problem for us,” said Kelly Huston, deputy director of the California Office of Emergency Services. “It means ... we will spend a lot of unnecessary time helping people who could have otherwise helped themselves, but decided they didn’t want to or didn’t have time.”

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...esidents-to-prepare-for-the-big-one/23218167/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think we are seeing human nature in its essence here. People have this tendency to always think that it won't happen to them, or that it simply isn't worth preparing for. I live on the west coast, and I'm shocked at the number of people who don't even have a basic stock of water or a first aid kit in their homes.

·
Semper Fi
8,932 Posts
WOW The Dems are getting in their excuses for what will be an epic failure before the event even occurs.

They spend huge amounts on keeping their Dem voting welfare slaves happy and hardly anything on infrastructure replacement/strengthening. Just look at the debacle of the Oroville Dam.

It also shows how stupid the OES is, there is no way to make (an affordable) house quake proof against a "big" earthquake. Unless they want to tear down every house and replace it with poured concrete bunkers.

·
Registered
18,518 Posts
I don't get it. This isnt just Kali, most states have their own area-common disasters. Hurricanes/tornadoes/wild fires/earthquakes/flooding/etc.
I understand how a massively devastating event could cause damage to things which could/do effect the rest of the nation. If a massive earthquake took out several major interstates it would greatly reduce interstate commerce. If a hurricane destroyed oil production in the gulf, it would effect everyone.
But what I'm seeing, someone correct me if I'm wrong, are gobs of individuals who choose to reside somewhere yet do little to no preparation for local known events. And when mother nature makes her visit, it EXPECTED that the entire nation render assistance and fund the recovery.
Now, I'm not stone hearted but I have little sympathy for those who have not made reasonable efforts to protect themselves or planned for the "after" when an event happens.
If you live in Kali and know quakes happen you have a few choices. Move. Plan and prepare. Or die knowing you should have done one of the first two. You should NOT EXPECT that the nation will all pass the hat and come riding in with legions of people willing to do FOR you. Same goes for anyone, anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,790 Posts
I lived in Southern California for 32 yrs. I worked as an engineer there. I studied geology there.

Too many people. Too great a distance. The transportation routes are too fragile. Big damn desert, not enough water.
If they get the long expected 'Big Quake', there will be little the rest of the country can do to help, until we rebuild the roads and rails.
I see very few options for the average person, and the only one that I'd bet my life on is leaving.

Leave before it happens, or.
Live and work on the east side of the fault and be prepared to evacuate to an undamaged part of the US, or.
Live and work on the west side, and be prepared to cross the fault zone after, and evacuate to an undamaged part of the US, or.
Store enough supplies to last about six months and learn to keep your big mouth shut.

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,445 Posts
Here in Yuma, Arizona, our Sheriff and fire departments began warning us about 5 years ago, about the hazards Southern California could bring here if SHTF. We were cautioned that in a natural disaster or just plain ol' SHTF, California residents will try to flee and they will get as far as one tank of gas will take them....which will be Arizona border towns. With no food, money, shelter, etc., we're told they could get ugly upon arrival.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,924 Posts
I bet they will, Paul. They will all be looking for the teat.

I have family in CA. I have done what I could for them but they don't take preparedness seriously. I spent about $50 each making up very basic kits for them. Now they think they are "set".

They don't understand, food, water, medication, transportation. My sister is in sales. I did talk her into carrying sneakers in her trunk because she wears heels when working. If she has to hike out (likely) she will need good footwear. She did agree to do that.

I doubt they are carrying an assortment of cash bills to pay for various items, because we all know the electronic payment methods are the first to go. It will be cash only.

But I've done what I can. I sent the most-at-risk individual a WaterBob. Hopefully they have time to fill it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I live in California and have done so all my life. Let me tell you how I have prepped for the Big One. I sold all my property anywhere near a long fault line. Now, if a 9.0 hits, my big problem will be dealing with earthquake refugees.

So, where would you prefer the Big One's epicenter to be:

1. San Francisco
2. Los Angeles
3. Sacramento

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,924 Posts
Well, I have family near SF and Sacramento.

So I would have to "vote" for LA. I don't know anyone there.

Reactions: Fertig

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
California quakes are more localized and much smaller than those from subduction faults, though the cascadian fault extends into a bit of northern California. So no 9 earthquakes and no tsunami. The pnw is where the really big quake will be and it will affect hundreds of miles, from into Canada and south.
The San Andreas will be big but not like the movie. Also people are packed in that area so many will be affected even though the geography affected is relatively small.
When construction meets earthquake codes it doesn't mean no damage. It means life protection even if structure may become uninhabitable.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
In times of crisis, like Hurricanes and Earthquakes, we see both the good and the ugly. When a large quake does hit CA we will see people pull together and help victims but we will also see looters and people trying to take advantage of the situation.

I was just watching a documentary on the LA riots and the Korean business owners defending their stores because police wouldn't/couldn't help. I mainly prepare for a big quake because it is most likely and anything I have for that can be used during any other SHTF situation.

Food = check
Water = Check
Med supplies =check
Means to protect it all = double check

·
All over Europe
3,360 Posts
I live in California and have done so all my life. Let me tell you how I have prepped for the Big One. I sold all my property anywhere near a long fault line. Now, if a 9.0 hits, my big problem will be dealing with earthquake refugees.

So, where would you prefer the Big One's epicenter to be:

1. San Francisco
2. Los Angeles
3. Sacramento
Karachi, Pakistan
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Pyongyang, North Korea and/or
Beijing, China

Any or all of the above. Leave anywhere in America alone. Dumb bunnies they may be, but they're still family.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Notrthridge was pretty peaceful, looting wise. They had a big police presence though.
Don't forget fire danger. My brothers house in Granada hills was fine but nearby houses burnt to the ground from natural gas fires. You need to know where your gas turn off is and even your neighbors, should talk to them, don't want to Get shot.

·
Semper Fi
8,932 Posts
Notrthridge was pretty peaceful, looting wise. They had a big police presence though.
Don't forget fire danger. My brothers house in Granada hills was fine but nearby houses burnt to the ground from natural gas fires. You need to know where your gas turn off is and even your neighbors, should talk to them, don't want to Get shot.
Fire has always been the bigger danger from an earthquake. Heaven help LA if the big one hits during a Santa Anna Wind. Fires will burn until they get to the ocean.

A note about quake worries...I lived here for 10 years as a kid, multiple quakes and no damage. Came back as a Marine and have been here for over 30 years, multiple quakes and no damage. I will take those odds over yearly tornadoes, hurricanes, floods in other supposedly safer locations ANY day.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,924 Posts
Steve, I was in Loma Prieta.

I have been in two epic floods and a couple of hurricanes, in Houston. I'll take Houston. At least I have some inkling it is coming.

One minute I was reading a romance novel, the next minute all the furniture in the house is out to kill me. [shudder] No thanks.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
I don't get it. This isnt just Kali, most states have their own area-common disasters. Hurricanes/tornadoes/wild fires/earthquakes/flooding/etc.
I understand how a massively devastating event could cause damage to things which could/do effect the rest of the nation. If a massive earthquake took out several major interstates it would greatly reduce interstate commerce. If a hurricane destroyed oil production in the gulf, it would effect everyone.
But what I'm seeing, someone correct me if I'm wrong, are gobs of individuals who choose to reside somewhere yet do little to no preparation for local known events. And when mother nature makes her visit, it EXPECTED that the entire nation render assistance and fund the recovery.
Now, I'm not stone hearted but I have little sympathy for those who have not made reasonable efforts to protect themselves or planned for the "after" when an event happens.
If you live in Kali and know quakes happen you have a few choices. Move. Plan and prepare. Or die knowing you should have done one of the first two. You should NOT EXPECT that the nation will all pass the hat and come riding in with legions of people willing to do FOR you. Same goes for anyone, anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two points:

1) Normalcy Bias isn't just a Pop Culture label, it's an actual thing. Our distant monkey ancestors usually didn't react until danger was actually present and threatening, and then speed and agility enabled them to survive. That response is evolutionarily hard wired into us. The dangers are different, now, and waiting until the last moment and then running probably won't save you; still, not preparing for danger but just hoping to survive it is the default mode. It takes foresight, training, and/or bitter experience causing behavioral changes to alter that. And most people don't have those.

2) The US government has fostered this attitude. These days, something happens, Uncle Sam is expected to rush in and make everything all right with money, men, and supplies. It's what the public expects and even demands. Imagine what would have happened if Trump had said no Federal help for Texas and Florida, FEMA would just advise, it was up to the states, localities, and charities to help; he'd have been impeached, tarred, feathered, and run out of DC on a rail. Overnight.

None of this is going to change...

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
In times of crisis, like Hurricanes and Earthquakes, we see both the good and the ugly. When a large quake does hit CA we will see people pull together and help victims but we will also see looters and people trying to take advantage of the situation.

I was just watching a documentary on the LA riots and the Korean business owners defending their stores because police wouldn't/couldn't help. I mainly prepare for a big quake because it is most likely and anything I have for that can be used during any other SHTF situation.

Food = check

Water = Check

Med supplies =check

Means to protect it all = double check

Agree with you.

Just a word of caution that after the disaster, law breakers may be charged. So opportunistic vigilantism should be kept in check and laws followed when engaging in social activities.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts