Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 6.2%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Notice: .308 is a typo; I mean 380 ACP. Please vote accordingly. My appologies.

Not to rehash something (as there is already a thread that asks you what caliber in title only), I am curious as to what the most used caliber is.

The current thread has only the model of gun used, rather than the actual caliber.

What are your preferences and why (read: what is your primary application)?

Have your opinions changed over time?

Discuss them here!

Edit: Although I'm not getting her until next weekend, I've decide to make my first pistol .40 SW.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Seems odd that you'd have only one rifle cartridge listed in a long list on handgun ammo... What gives?

Allan
WOW! I blame posting in the wee small hours after studying for a history exam and... yeah.. .my... dyslexia?

.308 = 380! Sorry folks! (thanks for pointing it out Allan)

·
Mr. Sailfish
349 Posts
9mm for me. Maybe I'd actually prefer something else if I had everything chambered in another caliber, but for the sake of standardization I went with 9mm. For compact handguns I've found recoil to be slightly more manageable than, say, 45acp. It shoots well, ammo is cheap enough, and I'm sure that despite what people tend to say, no one will particularly enjoy a 9mm round to the chest, ball or otherwise.

·
Squawker
145 Posts
I prefer 45 ACP, though I carry both 45 ACP and 9mm. I recently bought a Glock 30, because when I can't wear a cover garment to cover my XD 45, I've been carrying my Glock 26 in a pocket holster. I wanted to upgrade to 45 for my all carry guns, so I got the G30.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
.38 Special- It's got a decent record for stopping power- especially with good ammo-, low recoil, and all three of my revolvers, plus my brother's Snub nose, can fire it, with no problem.

·
Simple Man
428 Posts
9mm.....its less expensive, effective and best of all its abundant world wide.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
From strictly a post SHTF survival standpoint, I chose the 9mm because:

1) magazine capacity--after all quantity has a quality all its own

2) widespread availability is scavenging is necessary

3) cost effectiveness

4) lighter recoil so that anyone in my family can fire it

5) its overall effectiveness

6) There are several SMGs that it can be used in like the MP5, Marlin camp 9mm and the uzi.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
first time out

Went to the range last week and shot my Taurus Millenium Pro 140 for the first time. In fact, it was the first time I'd ever shot a .40 S&W. Not trying to boast but I was extremely pleased with my first mag...

Attachments

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
I initially chose 9mm because of cost,availability and capacity. I will next be getting either a .45,.40 or.357. Time will tell.

·
Registered
141 Posts
9mm, bullets are bullets and they will kill, if you want something that will penetrate body armor then you need a FiveseveN, when the iraq war is over we will have a lot of surplus 9mm, it's accurate, cheap, available, and if it wasn't able to kill then we wouldn't still be using it.

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
Got my first pistol 2 months ago,XD9 service.
I got 9mm so I could shoot a whole lot cheaper than a .45.
I'm getting to be a good shot with it.
If funds and time permits I'll get a .45 now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts