Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
then again...if youre at the wrong end of one of them there 16-inchers i dont think it actually has to physically contact you to turn you into human yoghurt.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
A hit with a .25ACP is better than a miss with a .44 Magnum. That being said, I would prefer have both a respectable caliber and good placement.
Not so!!!

You might wind up pi$$ing him off with the .25 and wearing it for rectal decoration for the rest of your life!!

And you can always count on scorching his eyebrows and blowing out his eardrumbs with the .44.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not so!!!

You might wind up pi$$ing him off with the .25 and wearing it for rectal decoration for the rest of your life!!

And you can always count on scorching his eyebrows and blowing out his eardrumbs with the .44.
I have to respectfully disagree with your post. In my 20 year LE career (mainly small town) I've seen more "big bad" Billy Bob's whining about being shot than I have people who've shot someone with a small caliber handgun having it taken away from them.

I have also seen a few repeat felony offenders who've vowed that they'd never go back to prison wet themselves and cry like babies when looking down the barrels of several firearms between 9mm to 12 gauge and seeing some little pulsating red lights dancing on their center of mass. Any sane, rational person doesn't want to be shot.

That being said, I don't carry anything smaller than a .380 as a back-up gun and nothing smaller than a 9mm as a primary off duty carry gun. Most of the time I'm carrying my Glock 23 .40 caliber off duty. There have been (and are) some hard core felons in these United States who have engaged multiple officers (and no doubt will continue to do so) and don't stop until their central nervous system is severed or their body ceases to function due to blood loss.
To answer the OP's original question, it's both.

If they all gave up, nobody would ever have to shoot another person that threatened their life (and limbs). If they'd only stand still in a perfect pose like the little qualification targets do we'd have it made. For a two letter word IF sure packs a punch doesn't it.

I'll close on this point, a near miss is infinitely better than waiting until you have your front sight in focus (because you won't even see it, you'll be locked in on the threat) before squeezing the trigger. The sooner you can put lead towards the threat the better as it makes the chances of them being able to fire at you accurately be greatly reduced.

·
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
6,767 Posts
Not so!!!

so you would let someone shoot you with their 25 acp? Bullsh it.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
as history has shown throughout recorded warfare, as time has progressed, it has taken an increasing number of shots per enemy killed... we have also generally gone from large bore to smaller... in normal combat I would take larger caliber over shot placement (i would also prefer greater volume of fire as well, but that is for another thread). in zombie engagements i would take shot placement over caliber.

i have seen what m855 does in iraq coming out of an m4, and i was not even remotely impressed.

shot placement arguments also dont hold alot of water in theater unless you are a designated marksmen (or if you are setting an ambush). if you are reacting to contact (which is generally what seems to happen), cover and returning fire are your priorities... in the vast majority of instances this leaves little time to concentrate on fundamentals when shooting, moving and communicating. if at all possible get air on station and let them do some of the work.... i prefer a .50 mounted on a OH-58 personally :thumb:

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
as history has shown throughout recorded warfare, as time has progressed, it has taken an increasing number of shots per enemy killed...

Not for us snipers. It still remains 1.4 rounds for snipers when compared to the thousands and thousands of rounds that the machinegunners have to use. Shot placement.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've never understood why our military are restricted to FMJ ball ammo (except for snipers using the BTHP Match, but they aren't designed to expand) in the GWOT. They should be using expanding ammunition (like the Federal 55gn bonded tactical JSP which will take butter from a duck with an M4). It's idiotic for our troops to be hamstrung like they are (don't even get me started on the ROE) as if the Islamic Jihadist are deserving of civilized rules of war as defined by the Geneva Convention.

·
Registered
13 Posts
having been in and survived combat, I am here to tell you the 55 -69 grain 5.56 nato is not "slam em down when hit " manstopper, it beats heck out of throwing rocks!!!
The smaller the caliber(kinetic energy) delivered by the projectile the more CRITICAL shot placement becomes. Proper bullet design is a must!! Bullet technology has given us many choices, pick the proper bullet. Ball or FMJ ammo is not a proper bullet design outside a combat zone regulated by the "rules of land warfare"(and those rules are HOOOEEEEY); that being said hitting someone in the leg with a "super magnum" may not negate the threat, whereas a center chest hit with a 9mm or 38 special just might. Shoot the largest caliber you can comfortably handle consistently, and get training and practice practice practice.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts