Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lurking for awhile I finally came up with a question worth asking(in my opinion.) I've read all the threads I could find on Calcium Hypochlorite and decided to try it out. I looked at walmarts pool supply and noticed that the pool shocks highest concentration is 53 percent with the remainder being Other Ingredients.
Is this the proper stuff to use and if so are those Other ingredients safe to drink? Any information on this would be helpful, thank you.

Marineinthewoods

·
Registered
5,601 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The swimming pool/spa store in town sells a bag for $5.00 and will treat 13,000 gal if I remember right. It was cheaper than Walmart. I'm not sure on the %.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My biggest concern is ingesting any harmful chemicals that may have been added such as an algae inhibitor. Thanks for the info.

Marineinthewoods

·
Registered
23 Posts
using colloidal silver has long been used as a water treatment, accounts of using silver coins in the water barrels on settler's wagons attest if the use of silver for water treatment. Also silver is used medically for sever burns to kill the bugs causing infections.

·
Mountain William
736 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sorry for stating the obvious but - YOU CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT WATER. This solution should be the first resource you secure. Buy your family a good filtration system like Berky or Katadyne or any one of a dozen others. Set it up in your kitchen and start using it. Get the family used to it. This should be a really high priority for everyone.

Don't believe me? Ask anyone from Haiti.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,157 Posts
Sorry for stating the obvious but - YOU CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT WATER. This solution should be the first resource you secure. Buy your family a good filtration system like Berky or Katadyne or any one of a dozen others. Set it up in your kitchen and start using it. Get the family used to it. This should be a really high priority for everyone.

Don't believe me? Ask anyone from Haiti.
I heartily agree. Water should be the very first thing people address. Yet it's usually one of the last. And it's often given a low priority at that. I don't know how many posts I've seen where someone has a year's supply of food, and 2 cases of bottled water.

It can also be one of the least expensive of items to prepare for. Though it's usually one of the hardest to figure out. For example, I managed to come up with 1,600 gallons of storage for $100, but it took a lot of detective work and some sheer luck. I have recently moved, so I'm having to reassess my ability to harvest water again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A water filtration system such as a berkey is on the list but in the mean time using calcium hypochlorite along with prefiltering particulates is the way I'm going. I'm a hundred yards from a water reservoir and a plentiful supply of chemical disinfectants seems to be a smart move on my part. Cost wise for the price of a berkey and a couple of years worth of filters I could probably buy a life time supply of calcium hypocholrite.

Marineinthewoods

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
You must be certain it is FOOD grade...other ingredients used to treat pools for algae are poisonous!
http://livingprepared.blogspot.com/2009/12/other-bleach-granular-calcium.html
http://parmafoodstorageblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/pool-shock.html

"Using granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water is a two step process.
1. To make a stock of chlorine solution (do not drink this!) dissolve 1 heaping teaspoon (about one-quarter of an ounce) of high-test (78%) granular calcium hypochlorite for each two gallons (eight liters) of water.
2. To disinfect water add one part of the chlorine solution to 100 parts water to be treated.
3. Let the mixture sit for at least one-half hour before drinking.

Be sure to obtain the dry granular calcium hypochlorite since once it is made into a liquid solution it will begin to degrade and eventually become useless as a disinfecting agent. This also means you should make your treated drinking water in small batches, for example enough for a few weeks at a time at most.

Another plus for using calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water for emergency use is that a little goes a very long way. A 1-pound pag of calcium hypochlorite in granular form typically costs only a few $US dollars and can be obtained in any swimming pool supply section of your hardware store or online. This amount will treat up to 10,000 gallons of drinking water, which is enough for a family of four for some six or seven years at a gallon per day per person!"

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
A water filtration system such as a berkey is on the list but in the mean time using calcium hypochlorite along with prefiltering particulates is the way I'm going. I'm a hundred yards from a water reservoir and a plentiful supply of chemical disinfectants seems to be a smart move on my part. Cost wise for the price of a berkey and a couple of years worth of filters I could probably buy a life time supply of calcium hypochlorite.

Marineinthewoods
4" PVC Pipe approx. 4 foot long. Panty hose filled with activated charcoal filled to diameter of pipe 4 to 6 inches long shoved in first, panty hose filled to diameter of pipe 4 to 6 inches long on top of that, 2 foot of pea gravel on top of that. Drill small holes in cap & glue to one end.

Pour water in the open top. This will filter out the majority, if not all, of bulk junk in the water. You will still have to treat the water with boiling, bleach, or pool sodium chlorite. It is ONLY for filtering bigger junk.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Let me save you some trouble 78% and they ship quick
http://www.hydropool.com/cgi-bin/hydro/22405-12.html
That is far, far more than what you need.

"Another plus for using calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water for emergency use is that a little goes a very long way. A 1-pound pag of calcium hypochlorite in granular form typically costs only a few $US dollars and can be obtained in any swimming pool supply section of your hardware store or online. This amount will treat up to 10,000 gallons of drinking water, which is enough for a family of four for some six or seven years at a gallon per day per person!"

No matter how much you buy, get it in small packages, a pound or less.

Also make sure it is food grade and has no additives for algaes and fungicides.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
After lurking for awhile I finally came up with a question worth asking(in my opinion.) I've read all the threads I could find on Calcium Hypochlorite and decided to try it out. I looked at walmarts pool supply and noticed that the pool shocks highest concentration is 53 percent with the remainder being Other Ingredients.
Is this the proper stuff to use and if so are those Other ingredients safe to drink? Any information on this would be helpful, thank you.

Marineinthewoods
This is always a question worth asking no matter how many times it gets asked.

Just as MikeK and OldSchool stated, water is usually the most overlooked prep but the most important. you will die within 3-5 days without water. an agonizing death too.

I found HTH brand at ACE Hardware - 5lb for $15.99 or 2lb for $9.99. I had previously looked at Lowe's and Home Depot but they had the WRONG type.

I have the 48% with 52% inert ingredients. I would prefer something with a higher concentration of calcium hypochlorite but this will do for now until I come across some other stuff.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've only been able to find the 52% HTH pool shock. It was $3.20. So when making the stock bleach solution, instead of a teaspoon per 2 gallons of water, I'll use a teaspoon for 1 gallon. It's still going to take years to use up the one-pound bag. No offense to the person who put up the link for the 78% HTH, but I can use that 45 bucks for other preps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After some more searching I've found a local place that carries the hth Poolife brand. It's the 78% and runs 3.98 for a 1 lb bag. I had to call an actual pool supply house, lowes and homedepot just don't carry the 'right' stuff apparently. Thank you guys for all the input.

Marineinthewoods

·
67,157 Posts
Care to share this information?
You got it! Like I said, in my case, it was a combination of sheer, dumb luck, and some detective work. But the solution is out there for anyone willing to do a little detective work.

This region has small farms along the Rio Grand River. Growing mostly chilies, onions, tomatoes, cotton, etc. So I spent some time out there networking and getting to know some folks. This is something I HIGHLY recommend, as it located me a bug out location!

But it also led me to discover that farmers are forever getting rid of tanks. Sometimes they were irrigation tanks, or stock watering tanks that are being upgraded or phased out. Usually they are dirt cheap. I saw one for free, just for hauling it off. It was my first water tank. 325 gallons. But I also saw a bunch of others over the years for cheap prices.

Then while I was at a pipe and irrigation supplier, I noticed he had a bunch of used IBC totes in the yard for sale for $20 each. That's those plastic tanks inside the metal cage that they ship liquids in. They hold 275 gallons and are about 4x4 feet square. You have to make sure they held food grade liquids because some are used to ship motor oil or chemicals. These had held food grade oil.

A little detective work turned up their source. A factory just outside town that made sandwiches and prepared foods for the local convenience stores. They would also sell them direct.

Now that I knew what they were called, a little poking around started turning them up all over. In craigslist, in the newspaper classifieds, etc. Also, most cities have materials resellers who specialize in selling used shipping materials and they usually have them too. Most cities have a few food manufacturers too, and they often use them. We have a local nut and snack factory that also uses them and resells them.

You're unlikely to find them at $20 anymore, but even at $75-100, they're still a bargain compared to most other storage solutions that run a ridiculous dollar a gallon or so.

The neat thing about the IBC totes, is that if you find the right size, they can stack double high underneath a typical 8 foot roof. That gives you 550 gallons in a corner of your garage, while only taking up a 4x4 foot footprint. You'll need to measure though, because I have noticed that they sometimes vary a little in dimensions.

So I ended up with 325 gallons for free by hauling it off, and 5, 275 gallon totes for $20 each. That's about 1,600 gallons for $100.

Unless you have a lot of room, I don't suggest the irrigation tanks. They are space hogs. But the IBC totes are perfect for most uses. If you have a 4x8 foot section you can use, you can store 1,100 gallons of water! I didn't even miss the space in my garage.

·
67,157 Posts
After some more searching I've found a local place that carries the hth Poolife brand. It's the 78% and runs 3.98 for a 1 lb bag. I had to call an actual pool supply house, lowes and homedepot just don't carry the 'right' stuff apparently. Thank you guys for all the input.

Marineinthewoods
That's the key to a lot of great prepper finds...detective work. It's just like finding a source of local buckets or anything else. Sometimes it takes some work and a bunch of phone calls.

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
Then while I was at a pipe and irrigation supplier, I noticed he had a bunch of used IBC totes in the yard for sale for $20 each.
So I ended up with 325 gallons for free by hauling it off, and 5, 275 gallon totes for $20 each. That's about 1,600 gallons for $100.
Mike, from another thread where someone tried to say most all IBC totes stored chemicals.

You just have to research & pay attention to descriptions.

Used food grade IBC Totes
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...&cop=&ei=UTF-8

http://www.containerexchanger.com/pr...tion/sale/1294
For Sale: IBC Totes : 275 Gallon IBC Totes - Used once to haul Food Grade Organic syrup -
unopened valves with factory seals intact - all containers in excellent condition
Item Code: S2258
Quantity: 100
Size: L40.000 X D47.000 X H46.000 ( )
Weight: 150 ( Lbs )
Price: $125.00
Additional Information: For sale are these used once 275 Gallon IBC Totes,used once to haul
food grade organic syrup, orignaly marked as USDA Organic and Kosher

http://columbus.columbusalive.com/Mi...-tanks/4897936

275 Gallon Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBC Totes), galvanized steel tubular cage, bolted to a black ABS plastic pallet. 6" screw on cap center top. 2" NPT male connector with cap, controlled by a lever actuated butterfly valve. This means that unlike other totes you will not need a $10.00 adapter to get to a use-able thread. Measurements are 45-1/2" tall x 39-1/2" wide x 47-1/2" deep.
UN Rated and compliant with 3HA1 packing groups II and III. These totes previously contained
USDA Organic and Kosher Certified syrup, there are still a few ounces of water soluble syrup in the bottom
of each tote, it is easily washed out in a few minutes with a garden hose. $90.00ea 2 totes or 8 palleted
barrels can be delivered anywhere along I-25 corridor between Cheyenne, WY and Pueblo, CO for about $50.00!

http://hartford.backpage.com/MiscFor...-grade/2062821
These have been used once and previously had soy milk/yeast mixture in them. I sell them for 150.00

http://www.americanlisted.com/new_ha..._14468879.html
275 Gallon IBC Tote Water Tanks & 55 Gallon Drums
$100 (Longmont) in New Hampshire For Sale
Previously contained USDA Organic Sugar Syruphttp://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/275-Gallon-IBC-Totes.html
Lexington Container Company
140 Dewey Dr.
Nicholasville, KY. 40356
Phone: 859-881-3190
275 gallon food grade poly container
$60 each (sale price)
Weight is approximately 110 pounds
6" screw off cap on top with rubber gasket
2" ball valve that has not been used and is still factory sealed
These totes had a sugar based substance in them

1 - 20 of 34 Posts