Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys have caches of equipment/foods/seeds that you have hidden at a place you would go if SHTF? I was just trying to figure out if its something I should do or not. Things I was thinking of putting in there were any food thats packaged to keep for a couple of years, maps, flints, knives, crank radio, flares or glowsticks, a solar flashlight, and maybe ammunition.

Has anyone done this or thought about it?

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts
Great question... my sons and I have one cache but are working on two more, with plans for another later. We live in a very large state with a lot of possible scenarios for which to plan/prepare. We are currently scouting a location for a rubber dinghy in event of a river crossing in one possible (and not-altogether-unlikely) situation. Locations include forest (plenty of landmarks so not using GPS) and mountain areas nearby.
First cache is just a rifle, ammo, some mres and clothing, firestarters, cash, water purifier(in bottle) and tarp. Wanted to get a start but will improve as time allows. We will be working on the mountain drops next summer but did get a couple possible locations plotted, subject to change when we get to the actual job.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
I've thought about it for not having to carry an inordinate number of firearms on the way to the BOL. It was mentioned in a thread about what the authorities would do if they stopped you while you were bugging out...or for that matter if they decided to take your guns away before TSHTF. I figured it'd be best to keep one or two in my home and stash the rest at the BOL - and not in the house/trailer/etc... there. You would still need to bury it even at a remote retreat.
Other items would be good to cache too of course. The good thing about a cache is that it helps you get out of the house/office/whatever quicker. You don't have to double check to make sure you have everything before you leave because you're planning to pick it up on the way. You do have to make absolutely sure that you're the only one who knows where it is or can find it, along with the cache itself being more or less indestructible. Nature is very patient and can get into anything that's not painstakingly sealed.
Good luck with it, it's a good idea.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Finding and opening your cache, while on the move due to pressure to BE moving, will force you to do one or more of a couple things:

1) Stop and take time to dig it up. Slows your movement. If speed and time are important under that scenario, you might have to abandon it.

2) Go out of your way to retrieve an out of the way stash. Same delay issues as #1, and maybe more so.

3) Load yourslef up as you collect on the run. Better have transport capability, unless you plan to live on the contents from one cache to the next.

4) Defend it....

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
i have them located in areas so when shtf i can leave with just my BOB if you decide to do it i would do it like this

1. put them far apart from each other mine are a days hike from eachother

2. put them where you can dig them out in peace
i make a frame type tent using a tarp and with the bare ground under me i dig with the cover of my tent i recomend covering your tarp with debri or type of natural vegitation so you cant see it in a distance

3.if your not afraid to enter use a cave
but use caution if you got a bad feeling walk away beleive me I NO

4. put them in route to where your heading
i have a location i will be heading to and all my caches are in route once base camp is set up i can go hunting and patrolling useing diffrent routes but ending up at a casche

5. when you guys go hikeing take one or two people in your group with you
when i do this we will use evrything in my gear and we stash what the other people are carrying this way other people in your group no where it is incase something happens on the way there

6. dont put nothing in there you have to have
i have ran into a situation where we wanted to drop off more snow gear in a casche but i saw a bear and her cub from the hilltop i was at a safe distance so we keeped on trucking

one last extra tip buy a roll of I.R blocker from a hydroponic store i will use it to drop over my tent then put another tarp over it I.R blocker will block any thermal vision equipment so if your sleeping and a helicopter flys over they wont see you in your tent sleeping

my buddy had tested some military equipment to see if this stuff worked and it does
we wrapped his upper body in it and all we saw was his legs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well it is something you should definitely do but don't talk about it, this place might have the "wrong eyes and ears" so do it and don't talk about it.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
the cache is set up either on the way to yer BOL if a distance away to ensure ya can git there.
or as an emergency supply ifn yer forced away from yer BOL

any that you set up should be marked on a homemade map w reference points- not just by GPS-batteries die - usually at the most inopportune moments

what to put there? i keep 2 mo dry goods, medical, hygiene, dry socks, a sweater, ammo, if ya gotta dig it up on ta move --- build a travois of have a game sled

1 - 7 of 7 Posts