Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone else overstock commodity/consumable items for use as currency/barter? Whould SHTF or we see TEOTWAWKI plastic money will be worthless, paper moneys only value will be as TP or for starting a fire and I believe even gold would be of limited value as it holds little practical value. Here is a list of items that would be incerdibally valuable as trade items IMO. Would live to hear any other ideas. I'm trying to keep the list to items that do not require a big investment in money or storage space and that are more or less easily man portable/packable.

• Basic medical supplies (Scalpels, gauze, bandages, meds)
  • Grain Alcohol (For medicinal purposes and use as a solvent of course)
  • Ammo
  • Batteries
  • Fishing tackle
  • Knives/Multi Tools
  • Bic Lighters
  • DuctTape
  • Super Glue / JB Weld
  • Pencils & Small notebooks
  • Magnesium
  • Bar soap
  • Shampoo
  • Tobacco & Papers
  • Condoms
  • Drink mix

Any ideas?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Soap is a great barter item... It never goes bad as long as it's kept dry... It's compact... and it's something people wouldn't want to go without for very long... I would say go for the premium bars rather than the cheap nasty stuff.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,162 Posts
You'll get a lot of suggestions in this thread. But there have been a bunch of other barter threads too. I suggest checking them also, and you'll see a lot of well reasoned discussions.

·
getting there
684 Posts
I remember watching a History Channel special about a ficticious family of sheeple that struggles to survive following an epidemic that wipes out most of the earth's population. There's a lot to discuss about that, but on this topic, what's interesting is that it portrayed a new currency standard arrising with Federal Reserve notes in the small towns that redevelop. I guess if you condition people their whole lives that those things are valuable, the desire might not go away.

As for precious metals, don't be so quick to disregard them as barter items. Some people will take them. I know I will if I have a surplus of anything.

Anyway, do a search for barter threads, and you should find lots of great ideas. - And don't forget the TP! and all sorts of bathroom / hygeine items.

·
10,548 Posts
Soap was a good suggestion. Tabacco and Cigarretes are ideal too. People would pay ten times what they normally do to get their Nicotine Fix. Trust me, I've watched it happen in Iraq.:thumb:

·
67,162 Posts
As for precious metals, don't be so quick to disregard them as barter items. Some people will take them. I know I will if I have a surplus of anything.
I plan to accept metals. Thos who don't see their value haven't researched their history very well. I stock barter goods specifically intending to trade them for metals in fact. The less people see the value, the better. They'll trade more of them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You'll get a lot of suggestions in this thread. But there have been a bunch of other barter threads too. I suggest checking them also, and you'll see a lot of well reasoned discussions.
+1 there have got to be 15-20 other threads about bartering. I think there is even a sticky.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Metals will indeed still have value. They can and in all likelyhood still be used as a meduim for trade. I was referring specifically to low cost items with a high practical value. In winter, how would the value of a $0.99 Bic lighter compare to the value of gold to someone who does not know how to start a fire without one.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I plan to accept metals. Thos who don't see their value haven't researched their history very well. I stock barter goods specifically intending to trade them for metals in fact. The less people see the value, the better. They'll trade more of them.
I will take metal now, during and after a crisis. As it is now I would rather be paid in metal. only a fool thinks gold and silver is a waste of time. when the crisis happens watch them come begging for a scrap of silver to buy a loaf of bread and some ammo for there pistol.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Metals will indeed still have value. They can and in all likelyhood still be used as a meduim for trade. I was referring specifically to low cost items with a high practical value. In winter, how would the value of a $0.99 Bic lighter compare to the value of gold to someone who does not know how to start a fire without one.
^+1^

On another note the american dollar has failed several times and guess what the currency was when the dollar failed? do your research people and see what the facts state before opening your mouth

·
getting there
684 Posts
And I'm certainly not endorsing metals only; I'd say practical items such as lighters are "worth" even more in some ways. I recommend diversifying as much as possible, because people will need many things.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Condoms and booze should be on the list. Both items could be extremely valuable for trade if they were not commonly available.

·
67,162 Posts
I will take metal now, during and after a crisis. As it is now I would rather be paid in metal. only a fool thinks gold and silver is a waste of time. when the crisis happens watch them come begging for a scrap of silver to buy a loaf of bread and some ammo for there pistol.
You and me both. I sell at gun shows and I offer a discount to people who pay in metals. A lot of gun people are also metals people, so they feel like they're getting a really good deal paying me $100 worth of metals that only costed them $25 back when they bought them.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
.....Tabacco and Cigarretes are ideal too. People would pay ten times what they normally do to get their Nicotine Fix. Trust me, I've watched it happen in Iraq.:thumb:
Yep,seen it,too. When were out in the field, guys that didn't smoke would bring a pack, and sell them to the nicotine junkies for a dollar a smoke, and that was in 1984 !! Nice little buisness.
I've been planning (keep forgetting) to pick up a case of vodka specifically for barter/selling. I picked vodka because it's so popular, mixes OK with lots of stuff that might still be around (Kool-Aid,juice boxes,etc.) and because I hate vodka, so I wouldn't be sampling the stash. Now, RUM on the other hand........:D:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yep,seen it,too. When were out in the field, guys that didn't smoke would bring a pack, and sell them to the nicotine junkies for a dollar a smoke, and that was in 1984 !! Nice little buisness.
I've been planning (keep forgetting) to pick up a case of vodka specifically for barter/selling. I picked vodka because it's so popular, mixes OK with lots of stuff that might still be around (Kool-Aid,juice boxes,etc.) and because I hate vodka, so I wouldn't be sampling the stash. Now, RUM on the other hand........:D:
Yep prison is a perfect example. Had a friend tell me they would take one smoke break it up and roll 4-5 tiny smokes and sell them for 5-10 each.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts