Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Cabela's hunting packs and backpacks in their catalog . Does anybody out there own one ? How do you like it ?

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
I have a Kelty Red Cloud, I don't know if that translates to a Cabelas pack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have one of their Deluxe Whitetail packs and I absolutely love it. It holds plenty for a day in the woods or as a BOB. Water rolls right off and with cord pulls it is nice and quiet.

Tim

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
I bought 2 of there packs, they were labeled as some sort of large hunting pack. After they arrived I looked them over and for the money I spent I was not very happy, but I figured that had engineered the product to last....I was wrong! The sewing upon first inspection was not nearly as good as even the cheap Tactical gear I own, The material though pretty silent was much thinner then the tactical gear as well, it was more like sail cloth or something like that. I said to heck with it, I didn't want to pay return shipping and figured they may hold up.

Well we loaded them and took them out 3 weeks later on a 3 day pack trip through Eastern KY. Well three days is not a long time so our loads were pretty light, I let my wife pack her own bag so hers was heavy and after the first 2 miles my pack was heavy and hers was light but she learned a lesson.

About 3 hours in a main compartment zipper failure when retrieving the collapsible dog dish, it never worked again (Maybe 20 total times using it).

failure 2 the sternum strap on my pack failed, the plastic buckle broke.

failure 3 The straps sewed to the bottom ripped of under the weight of my rain jacket. (Think ,small)

Overall they were grossly un comfortable, they came with hydration bladders, they leaked all over the pack.

I still have one in the back room, it its now just a relic of lessons learned.

Currently I use a Tactical Tailor 3 day pack, I can go a very long time out of that pack when packed right. Its comfortable, strong , and durable.

IMO you should buy quality one time, overall the comfort gained will be worth every penny. Remember that this is your car, your home, your kitchen, your wash room, your everything if you gotta actually use it.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I stick with proven brands, for the most part. For backpacks, I'd go with Kelty, Mountain Hardware, REI or similar.

I really doubt that Cabela's actually manufactures the packs they sell--they probably buy them from sweatshop manufacturers somewhere.

HippieSurvivalist

·
28 Days Later
1,647 Posts
i just got the cabela's master catalog and i'm glad this was brought up, i was considering upgrading my BOB pack but i've yet to find something as nice as my timberland pack, i just wish it had a waist strap to it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was going to buy a couple of packs from them, but after reading this I will look for something better. Thanks for the thread.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As Cabelas has a no questions ask money back guarantee, if you still own them, its your fault. Their Guarantee makes me unafraid to try anything Cabelas.:D

·
SURVIVOR
1,089 Posts
I USE A MOLLE 3 DAY TACTICAL ASSAULT BACKPACK AS YOU CAN SEE IN MY PIC ON THE UP LEFT..I'M UPGRADING IT WITH AN ATTACHABLE BUTTPACK AND SIDE POUCHES. I'VE ONLY HERD GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEM AND IT HAS ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES YOU MIGHT WANT. AS FOR CABELA'S, I THINK THEY'RE OVERPRICED FROM WHAT I SAW WHEN I VISITED THE STORE. CHECKOUT
http://search.stores.ebay.com/eHobb...plierQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ56665468QQsofpZ0

1 - 9 of 9 Posts