Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't checked this out as I haven't had time but hear that CA is stopping or delaying welfare, SSI checks and such as of Feb. 2009.
Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I heard they are issuing IOU's to replace income tax refunds but not the other things you mentioned. What on earth are people supposed to do?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Survive I guess. Why I'm here. Though not near enough to learn all I need to know in the time frame I see. I see desperate people doing things they would never have dreamt they could do both good and bad.
As my mom always said, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
Haven't checked this out as I haven't had time but hear that CA is stopping or delaying welfare, SSI checks and such as of Feb. 2009.
Anyone know anything about this?
If that's true, it's a recipe for a major civil disturbance. Think of all the welfare collectors who will no longer be able to buy food. I don't think The Governator has the balls to do this but who knows...

·
Registered
248 Posts
How can a state stop issuing SSI checks, Social Security is a Fed program. Yes, they are going to issue IOU's instead of tax refunds, and not issue any welfare checks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is just a proposal on the table. It may have to happen as our state maynot beable to meet it's obligations for february. Heres what we know of the proposed actions:

State will issue IOU's for State income tax returns through April 30th.

They will also not be paying any state issued assitance- handouts are not only issued by the Feds.

They will attempt to issue IOU's, however, they have been ruled to violate the state constitution(issued 1992). The matter is headed to court. They are commnicating to see how many banks will agree to participate.

All state workers paid out of the general fund will have to take 2 days off per month off-unpaid. Most state offices will be closed 2 days per month.

Arnold is also pushing to have the legislature go without pay and per diem until the budget is set- I think this is a good idea.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
I heard they are issuing IOU's to replace income tax refunds but not the other things you mentioned. What on earth are people supposed to do?
Work, improvise, trade, survive. Sorry to be harsh, but the government never should have been in the business of paying our bills to begin with.

To a degree, that's how we got into this mess. People realized that in a democracy it was possible to "vote themselves money from the public treasury". The intricate social welfare system that we have known for the past few decades has grown increasingly poisonous to our economic system. No need to produce, the government will take care of you anyway. (Sound a bit like the USSR? Yeah, that worked out well.) No need to make a viable product, the government will subsidize. Unskilled labor pool? We got one. Its called the welfare class. But instead of contributing to the economy, they decided to take a break, sit on the couch, collect welfare, and make room for some illegal immigrants (who have incidentally been convicted of over one million sex crimes against our mothers, sisters, and daughters over the past ten years). They will pick up the slack. What the heck, illegals only cost $300 billion annually in social welfare programs.

Sorry, but its about time our over-reaching government was reminded of some basic economic principles. Yes, there are other factors to consider, but at some level most of the causes leading to this economic turmoil are at least indirectly linked to a lack of financial independence, viability, and responsibility by the average American. There are just too many safety nets to necessitate responsible behavior.

The "food stamp government" was a great ride for some, but the chickens have finally come home to roost.

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

"Survival360.net"

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info Mrjosh. I imagine that CA isn't the only state looking at measures like this. I know that NC governor is asking for a fed bail-out and if that falls thru, I'm sure there'll be lots of cuts across the board here also.
I also agree that it's a recipe for lots of civil unrest and probable rioting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've only heard about the tax refund IOUs, and a possibility of state workers checks not being cut.

I'm not too fond of them keeping my refund, but it should only be about a month's cable bill so I'm not about to riot in the street.

·
Illic Ero Eventus
245 Posts
LA Times

There is a new article on the LA Times website stating that the controller John Chiang, will suspend tax refunds, student grants and other social programs beginning Feb 1st, 2009. Looks like it's true. The article is dated Jan 17, 2009. I can't paste the link at the moment - sorry.

·
Gunsmith
203 Posts
Well when your state is smart enough to limit its tax income severely by making most gun dealers not want to set up shop there you must be smart enough to pull this kind of crap as well.

I wonder how much of there budget deficit is due to there asinine gun laws. To even ship a gun to CA you now need some kind of a damn permit in advance or some bs, I don't know for sure because theirs so many retarded laws down there I don't ship there period so didn't read the rest of it or do the paperwork for it when I got it. I will not sell a gun to anyone who lives in CA.

This is just another reason why if you live there you should think about moving back to America.

·
Little Big Man
92 Posts
C'mon 300+billion for state aid is in the stimulus plan that will be pushed through this week I'm sure, probably done tomorrow so Barry can tout it in his speech.

That will give cali enough money to stiff people with tax IOU's and cut welfare checks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts