Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
RockOut w/ your GlockOut
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I live in California:xeye:

O.K., so my Brother-in law was fortunate enough to get a very nice AK before the N. Hollywood bank robbery, has several mags and is good to go.

My dilemma is I was not so fortunate, but would also like something for defense and hunting in a mag fed 7.62 X 39 Semi Auto, so we can share ammo and buy in bulk.

Guidelines that I know of are:

No pistol grip w/ a removable mag

No more than 10 round mag

If you have a pistol grip, the mag has to be siliconed, pinned or tooled in

Nothing from Panther Arms or any deemed Assault Weapons manufacturer by N.I.J. or the D.O.J.

Right now I'm leaning towards an SKS or Mini30 and would like to stay under the $800 range.

SKS= $300-$400

Mini30= $700-$800

What are other good options or your opinions on these?

All suggestions besides move out of CA. will be greatly appreciated.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
the SKS is a good bet.IMO it will shoot circles around a mini 30.you can go threw companies like Samcoglobal and Interordnance ,and get a california legal version of the Yugo SKS.all they do is remove the grenade launcher and bayonet and its ready to sell.

Reactions: BretByron

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Unfortunately there isn't much available to us here at the moment.
You could get a Saiga but I think the prices have shot through the damn roof.
I also don't know who might even have any right now.
A mini 30 will cost you $700(but you already know that) right now and two months ago you could have bought two Saiga rifles for that.
As for mags being siliconed in.......errrr......no.
It needs to be hard fixed so you cannot under any circumstances remove it without using a tool.

The mini as you may already know doesn't need to be fixed so long as you buy only 10 round magazines.
The Saiga the same unless you convert it then either just don't put the pistol grip on it or buy a bullet button for it.
Be sure if you do score a Saiga and convert it to stay legal as far as 922R goes.
Cali has been turning Saiga conversion owners who are out of compliance with 922r in to the ATF out of spite because they can't prosecute on their own.
And the batmen are more than happy to help Kalifornia out in the regard.

At this point considering availability your best bet might just be the SKS.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Be sure if you do score a Saiga and convert it to stay legal as far as 922R goes.
Cali has been turning Saiga conversion owners who are out of compliance with 922r in to the ATF out of spite because they can't prosecute on their own.
And the batmen are more than happy to help Kalifornia out in the regard.

At this point considering availability your best bet might just be the SKS.
Gotta love them defenders of America's Freedom.

I have come to appreciate the SKS, I prefer the paratrooper and the Russians but they all are really a fine weapon.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Its getting crazy out there with the possible assault weapons ban #2 going into effect. I would say try to get a m1a if you got the cash.... but I dont know how much price gauging is going on on the higher end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
At one time, i had both. I picked up a mini 30 for a good price. and stocked up on ammo. Later, i came across a sks (norinco), also was a good price. I don't have the mini 30 anymore. Sold it. felt like a loose shooting gun. Just wasn't built the same as the sks. Kept the sks. Of course, now i wish i would have held onto it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Big 5 has had SKS rifles for $350-$400. I have posted many times, the many reasons that the SKS is one of the ultimate SHTF carbines in the world.

·
RockOut w/ your GlockOut
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our local Big5 stopped carrying mini14 and SKS's, but I talked to one of my local dealers and he said he can get me an SKS for $315 out the door. He also mentioned getting some AK's, I thought those were completely illegal in CA, still not sure.

I also looked into an M1A but it shoots the .308 or 7.62 X 52 or something like that. I think I will try and get one to turn it into my hunting rifle.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
The M1A in any case is a solid choice.
AK's are NOT illegal here if they have either a bullet button type mag retention(needs a tool, a cartridge tip, to remove the magazine, or has no pistol grip.
Check out calguns.net for more inclusive info.
BTW, what dealer in Nor. Cal. still has AKs? And what did he quite as a price?

Reactions: BretByron

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Six months ago you could get a pistol grip-less AK for about $550. Now, good luck finding one anywhere.
And that was a ball buster price compared to what they sold for in neighboring states.
I hated the gouge.
What was funny was you could get a RPK from Cold War Shooters for $440 but their AKs were $550 like you said.
Henderson Defense in Nevada had them for $330 and would remove the grip for you for an additional 50 bones.

·
"Et si omnes ego non"
246 Posts
If you really want an AK, just get the funky monstergrip and keep the original grip at home...

For mags, what I did was buy separate parts like the magazine, spring and the floor plates. Its actually legal since all mags (exception of the waffle mags) are preban stuff.

·
RockOut w/ your GlockOut
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, I've had two places looking for an SKS for me for over a week. Today I called one and asked him how it was going and he said he was still looking. I asked if he had tried Century Arms and he said he had dealt w/ them before and will give them a call.

To make a long story short, I get the pick of the litter when they come in and it's going to be $250.00 + $25fee:thumb:

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Its actually legal since all mags (exception of the waffle mags) are preban stuff.
Those are legal too if you are using them to repair an old magazine(which is what I know you did with the others you mentioned) and need the new body for parts.
There's a lot of guys on calguns with old mag floorplate retainers and brand new waffle mags.
One old part that is serviceable and you can have a whole new mag.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts