Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a Century C308 a few years ago for a mere $550. I used to own a Portuguese FMP G3 decades ago, a great rifle which I unfortunately sold. Seeing that the C308 was on sale, I purchased one from Classic Firearms.
Zero issues with the rifle, have my rig set up on a "surplus" ACU FLC with seven M4 pouches (each pouch holds one CETME or HK magazine- other 7.62 mags will work too) with velcro closure. I use the M4 bandolier to hold 3 individual CETME or HK mags.
The FLC was a mere $15, the pouches $4 each, and bandoliers $3 each at the local surplus store.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Nice rifles, I have one of older Century rifles. It's incredibly accurate, even with steel case. Unfortunately it doesn't cycle them well and the fluted chamber is a brass wrecker so it doesn't go out to play often.
Interesting with the M4 mag pouches, I'll have to try that this weekend. And I assume you mean the double mag pouches?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Century guns can be hit/miss... supposedly the more recent ones are actually made by PTR... and more reliable. I had a CT made PTR and it was a great rifle. I'd get another. Mine was the 91F. Shot well but no rail so optics installation was more limited. The GI guns that PTR has been selling come w/ a rail and are well regarded. Mine shot steel case well and it was a fun gun... took a woman shooting who thought she was a bad a$$ w/ her ar15... one round w/ the PTR and she wasn't as excited to shoot it lol.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The older Century C308's are much better than today's. The quality control has really gone down the tubes in the last 5 or 10 years, so if you're looking at a newer production, make sure to check it out well. Preferably, try before you buy.

If you've got the cash, a lot of folks just recommend going with the PTR now to avoid the hassle.

·
Registered
12,178 Posts
When did Century have quality control? I looked at a few of their guns about 15-20 years ago. Horrible fit and assembly. One L1A1 had a sheared bolt stop. Some of the AKs then were just horrible.

I am looking at getting a PTR myself.

·
Banned
14,729 Posts
My brief opinion of the design:

I own one. It's a 2nd tier .308 battle rifle. The controls are not ergonomic, and mounting an optic if there's no rail is an added challenge. Open sights are very good. The major advantage is currently inexpensive magazines, and the platform itself is generally 20%-50% less than an FAL, M1A, or AR10 or other competetion. You can get them for $5 each, or in bulk as low as $1-2 each.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Last summer was probably the low for prices w/ ar15's and guns like the PTR. I could have picked up a couple PTR's for $750 w/ a couple mags, non railed versions. The railed ones seem to hold their value better. Price out a clam mount and you'll see why.

M1a's and I have a scout w/ a wooden stock. Dream gun so I'll never sell it but its 1500+. I've never had a FAL but they are similar price wise. If you're worried about cost in that category than PSA PA10 all day long. Get a used gen 2 for like $500 and see how it shoots. Mine was a blem that I bought 2 years ago, it was a very minor nick and I think I paid around $700 as I bought the upper and lower separately. Shoots better than anything mentioned so far. Back to the PTR, its great for what it is... it is an outdated battle rifle.

·
Awesome
17,066 Posts
i had a PTR, its one of many i had to sell and wish i didnt.. the HKs are out of my price range though.. you have to be a real fanboy of the brand to spend HK money on an HK brand, while the PTRs are really good and prices reasonably.. great rifle, great design for a 308

I wish PTR made a version of the HK93

·
Registered
14 Posts
One thing that I found helped a great deal with my roller lock rifles was adding a Spuhr stock. They're expensive, and honestly overpriced, but there's no substituting what they bring to these rifles. Having the stock inline with the bore allows for easier muzzle control and the mounting of optics at AR height. It also allows for a much shorter length of pull.

While these rifles still have their warts, for the most part there's not much of a difference in the general feel of my C93 and one of my ARs. Again the Spuhr stock is the main reason along with the aftermarket rail.

I think the modularity of these rifles bodes well for them in the future. PTR is now shipping their FR model with an M-Lok rail while Magpul is going to release a whole line of furniture at some point. In addition, CMC is currently developing an aftermarket trigger which fixes a weak spot roller lock guns have.

·
Start up the rotors
7,656 Posts
I have a PTR-91, it's a great rifle. Heavy, and some don't like the ergos, but I don't mind them.
I have the surplus wood stock on it, and have added a short rail for an optic, but he irons are top notch and it's accurate.

Like the FN-FAL, it's an old school design and has that old school appeal.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I own one, they are ok, definitely a cheap way to get into a 308 "battle rifle". It's also nice now that they are welding a rail right to the top for optics.

I hate trying to get the bolt put back together and re-installed though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
When did Century have quality control? I looked at a few of their guns about 15-20 years ago. Horrible fit and assembly. One L1A1 had a sheared bolt stop. Some of the AKs then were just horrible.

I am looking at getting a PTR myself.
To be fair I didn't say they were ever great, just downhill from before :thumb:

Which is saying something...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I've owned an HK-91 since the mid 80's. Nice gun. Weighs a ton. Recoil makes rapid fire challenging and ammo isn't cheap

It's been years since I've had it out of the safe.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
Have a PTR 91 , trouble child i picked up cheap, and straightened out,(ways and oversize rollers, all it took) and a HK93 i got back in the 80s for a song....... but. pieces are expensive for the older guns. the 93, I went thru about 5 different clawlock mounts before i finally said screw it and bought a STANAG clawloc mount. went with the bipods from HK as well.
the Bsquare mount in the first pic, split after about 500 rnds. shot the STANAG with the heavy leatherwood on it for 1000rnds, after that, took it back to the CompML aimpoint. still on it today. love a rollerbolt gun....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts