Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying silver. Here's my problem. Ok, I can buy it for $20 or so an ounce, then I have to pay another $20 for S&H. How can I get around the S&H?

·
READY&ABLE
1,271 Posts
your best bet is to buy sterling silver off craigslist...stock pile it up , then take it to a refiner to purify it down to (.999)....its cheaper then buyin pure silver....

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
You can't, unless you buy locally. Also, the more you buy at once, the less significant the percentage the shipping costs are. I just bought about fifty pounds locally and had it shipped to a friend just out of state to avoid over $1200 in local sales tax. In a few days he will bring it to me when he comes to visit family. To save that much in tax I was willing to DRIVE several hundred miles if I had to. Figure out how much your shipping will be relative to your nearest dealers and you may be better off just going after it.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
your best bet is to buy sterling silver off craigslist...stock pile it up , then take it to a refiner to purify it down to (.999)....its cheaper then buyin pure silver....
....yeah, cheaper to BUY, but virtually impossible to sell. See some of the posts from our resident metals guru "Scruggs", he elaborates on the subject better than I, but will tell you much the same thing. Your best bet is to buy well-known products from the national mints, like American Eagles, Austrian Philharmonics,Canadian Maples,etc.

To the OP : assuming you're getting silver a tube at a time, this $20 S&H only jacks the price a dollar a coin, or 5%. If you're buying any fewer coins at a time, you probably shouldn't be buying on-line, but would obviously do better hunting down a local dealer.:thumb:

·
READY&ABLE
1,271 Posts
....yeah, cheaper to BUY, but virtually impossible to sell. See some of the posts from our resident metals guru "Scruggs", he elaborates on the subject better than I, but will tell you much the same thing. Your best bet is to buy well-known products from the national mints, like American Eagles, Austrian Philharmonics,Canadian Maples,etc.

To the OP : assuming you're getting silver a tube at a time, this $20 S&H only jacks the price a dollar a coin, or 5%. If you're buying any fewer coins at a time, you probably shouldn't be buying on-line, but would obviously do better hunting down a local dealer.:thumb:
you will make far more money refining sterling into pure then you would buyin pure silver an waiting for the market to jump....smelting sterling is no different then smelting gold or any other metal....once the sterling is molten and liquified, the impurities floats to the top, then you can skim them way...then you can pour the pure silver into bars or coins....

imagine having pounds of sterling stock piled up....Sterling silver is an alloy of silver containing 92.5% by weight of silver and 7.5% by weight of other metals, usually copper.

if you had 10 pounds of sterling melted down to pure silver you would get
7.5 pounds of pure at half the price of buyin it pure.....

http://www.silverperounce.com/ do the math...

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
APMEX (https://www.apmex.com/Homepage/Default.aspx) offers free shipping for orders of over $25,000. Unless you're Warren Buffet I don't know that that helps, but on the other hand, if you've got the money and want to make the plunge all at once...

(I wouldn't be buying silver or gold in this market, though, personally. I think we're in a bubble and sooner or later it's going to pop. And as always with bubbles, the ones who buy in near the top are the ones who lose the most.)

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
I bought some silver off of ebay. Shipping is only like a $1. or included.

Just make sure that the seller is highly rated and sells a lot of them.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Buy it local so there is no trail to you. They want to have our 401 now do you think silver and gold are very far behind. Its a sinking ship and they are looking for liferafts and kicking others off of theres to use the ones we have.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,519 Posts
Looking at buying silver. Here's my problem. Ok, I can buy it for $20 or so an ounce, then I have to pay another $20 for S&H. How can I get around the S&H?
Why would you mail order something that you could buy locally at a coin store, probably for less than the online dealer wants for it in the first place? Most coin dealers (call around and compare, of course) sell for 5% over spot and buy for 5% under. They're hard to beat, pricewise, and it's cash and carry. Most of them have buillion bars and rounds. I got all of my metals at local dealers and saved a bundle over mail ordering.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
Why would you mail order something that you could buy locally at a coin store, probably for less than the online dealer wants for it in the first place? Most coin dealers (call around and compare, of course) sell for 5% over spot and buy for 5% under. They're hard to beat, pricewise, and it's cash and carry. Most of them have buillion bars and rounds. I got all of my metals at local dealers and saved a bundle over mail ordering.
Places around here want a MINIMUM of 10% over what I can buy silver for online, including shipping.

It's like they take spot and tack on 50% or something. :xeye:

·
68,519 Posts
Places around here want a MINIMUM of 10% over what I can buy silver for online, including shipping.

It's like they take spot and tack on 50% or something. :xeye:
Are you buying minted coins with high premiums? I only buy bullion and it seemed like everyone had the same deal. That's one reason I bought krugerrands rather than eagles or mapleleafs. They had the lowest premium. Bullion bars and rounds generally carry no premium and are just as recognizeable when it comes time to barter or sell them.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
if you had 10 pounds of sterling melted down to pure silver you would get
7.5 pounds of pure at half the price of buyin it pure.....

http://www.silverperounce.com/ do the math...
As I already stated....it's easier to BUY it cheaper, but selling it is another matter entirely. Are you saying you are getting something near spot for these no-name globs of silver ? I don't think so.
This forum is more about SHTF scenarios than about wheeling & dealing in the current PM market. If someone is investing in PM's for possible SHTF use,then silver/gold in the most recongizable and verifiable form is obviously the most valuable.
If you're buying sterling at garage sales, and having it melted down and making money on it, then great, but don't tell survivalistboard members that this is the best way to buy silver, because it isn't. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I buy and sell scrap gold and sterling almost on a weekly basis, and it is very easy to sell , but you only will receive 75% to 85% of spot. If you don't know what you are doing you will be ripped off. Here are a few easy steps so you don't get ripped off.
1. Buy an electronic scale, will cost less than $30.
2. Buy a 10 and 20 power magnifier, will cost less than $20.
3. Buy a gold test kit, will cost less than $50.
4. Buy a book on silver and gold markings, not all say sterling or karat mark, will cost about $50.
5. Look at spot market prices and do the math for scrap.
6 The math for sterling is spot X .925 X .8= scrap price per ounce.
7. The math for gold is a little odd, spot/ 24X gold karat of item X .8= scrap price per ounce.
8. Take your pre-weighed and mathed to dealers, some are bad some are very good. You will have to shop around to find a good dealer.
Many dealers will also sell scrap gold and silver if you ask, you will pay full price not scrap price, but this is usually lower than buying bullion.

·
7,683 Posts
Are you buying minted coins with high premiums? I only buy bullion and it seemed like everyone had the same deal. That's one reason I bought krugerrands rather than eagles or mapleleafs. They had the lowest premium. Bullion bars and rounds generally carry no premium and are just as recognizeable when it comes time to barter or sell them.
I've only purchase 1 oz bars myself. I started out looking at a local coin shop, but the prices on everything gold and silver were much higher than the same thing that could be had online by reputable sellers (yes, including eBay :) ).

I would have gladly supported the local business but his prices were too rich for my blood. I didn't see much on display in the cases and I would have asked if he had more (I was looking for a good chunk that day), but he spent literally 20 minutes talking to another customer without even acknowledging me and I had to get back to work.

·
68,519 Posts
I've only purchase 1 oz bars myself. I started out looking at a local coin shop, but the prices on everything gold and silver were much higher than the same thing that could be had online by reputable sellers (yes, including eBay :) ).

I would have gladly supported the local business but his prices were too rich for my blood. I didn't see much on display in the cases and I would have asked if he had more (I was looking for a good chunk that day), but he spent 20 literally minutes talking to another customer without even acknowledging me and I had to get back to work.
My local shops are bad at ignoring you too. Even the gun shops here are that way. It's as if they think you aren't going to buy anything anyway or something. I never understood that.

Odd about the prices though. Usually there's a lot of competition between dealers and it keeps prices down. We have very few coin shops here but they're pretty cheap. We don't have many gun shops either, but they're high as hell! If you can beat your local dealer's prices online, then that's the best way to buy. I never could.

·
7,683 Posts
My local shops are bad at ignoring you too. Even the gun shops here are that way. It's as if they think you aren't going to buy anything anyway or something. I never understood that.

Odd about the prices though. Usually there's a lot of competition between dealers and it keeps prices down. We have very few coin shops here but they're pretty cheap. We don't have many gun shops either, but they're high as hell! If you can beat your local dealer's prices online, then that's the best way to buy. I never could.
I'm fortunate to have been told about a good gun store in my area, and the owner knows his trade. He's good on service, even if he's not overly friendly, and there happens to be a very attractive lady that works there as well. :) Betwen that place and a larger sporting goods store her where there are plenty of sales reps to help, I can't complain. :thumb:

·
Bushcrafter
1,420 Posts
Buy from a local coin dealer and be prepared to haggle as they usually mark the price up by a fair amount. Also make sure you own a magnet as precious metals are not magnetic, If the magnet picks the coin up, it is not .999 silver and is likely mixed with something else. I ran a very powerful neodymium magnet over my silver coins and while it moves them a very small amount (because even .999 silver coins are mixed with other metals) it did not pick them up. Silver also tarnishes black when exposed to compounds which contain sulfur, is another way to tell.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Buy from a local coin dealer and be prepared to haggle as they usually mark the price up by a fair amount. Also make sure you own a magnet as precious metals are not magnetic, If the magnet picks the coin up, it is not .999 silver and is likely mixed with something else. I ran a very powerful neodymium magnet over my silver coins and while it moves them a very small amount (because even .999 silver coins are mixed with other metals) it did not pick them up. Silver also tarnishes black when exposed to compounds which contain sulfur, is another way to tell.
Silver also "rings" when struck. If you flip a .999 silver coin into the air,striking it solidly with your thumb, you will hear it ring noticably.It won't ring if it's counterfiet and has another metal in it.
Silver bars can be hung in a plastic bag and lightly struck with a hammer ( or similar object) to test for the characteristic ring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts