Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Frozen Patriot
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a site that sells Quick Clot, Says buyer must have 40hr first aid certificate to purchase by regulation. Is this normal and is there an actual regulation that is required to purchase....

DS

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have found it on Ebay

I have found it on Ebay, and several other catalogs carry it. They are now manufacturing a lower-tempature version for Emergency Services. Although I would recommend basic knowledge of it's application and necessity, it can be had without a class.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick Klot

Unless you are trained in the proper use of Quick Klot DO NOT BUY ANY

Used improperly it can cause severe burns, it is for major trauma injuries only (read LIFE OR DEATH).

Save your money or better yet take an EMT course instead.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
They have a lower temp now on the market of 105 degree to reduce burns, I don't believe it's for the civilian market as of now.
I've found this at Cabelas which is a tamer version and as others have said if you use this stuff you should have some training, This can do more harm then good: QuickClot Sport® is the professional grade answer to an incident that causes excessive bleeding. Similar to the QuickClot used by the US military, EMS, police and fire departments everywhere, http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...hasJS=true&_requestid=38809&_requestid=120990

·
Registered
272 Posts
Seriously don't go near that ****. It will screw you up badly. I've seen the aftermath of "attempted use" by someone trained to use it. It's basically a) serious burns or b) die, so a) is better! It's a very bad quick fix and can lead to serious infection quicker than other ways. Serious infection is hard to treat without a pharmacy following you!

Wash the wound, pack it with gauze, bandage and treat for shock and get help. Failing that, saline, painkillers (morphene auto-injectors are available if you know where to look) and suture it yourself. Far more useful skills involved as well.

Suturing yourself is actually fun (once the pain killers kick in). I have had to do it twice now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suturing <-- check out the suture techniques at the bottom of the page.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,557 Posts
I got the QuikClot Advanced Clotting Sponge from Cabela's, nobody asked me if I had a license or if I had taken classes. I highly recommend you have at least a couple on hand for life threatening emergency use. I have friends who came back from Iraq and told me the stuff is worth it's weight in gold.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You don't need a 40 hour course to learn how to use it. Like some of the other posters have said, learn to use it before you buy it. If you used it in an emergency you may do more harm than good. Our ERT Team Leaders carry it in their first aid kits. We had a trauma doctor from Detroit Recieveing Hospital come to training and show us the proper way to administer it.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
"Survivalist since Birth"
551 Posts
Get wound stat (its has been proven the top performer in both military and civi. tests, but, as such its impossible to find if you are not military or ems) or celox.

Neither produce the endothermic reaction that causes the burns commonly associated with QC.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Hospitals hate quick clot because it cause problems down the road... if applyied incorectly you can have big problems.. i dont carry it as I have frist aid training but i dont know how to use it but I have heard storys from doctors were they had complications because quick clot had been applyed incoretly and they had to remove more tissuse then they normaly would of had to do ...

Theres draw backs and advantages to all medical ways.. depends what happens if say your coping wood and hit you leg with an axe i would bandge it up and thats it but for really really deep wounds i would stick them up after cleaning them and hope for the best thats only if i couldnt get tothe hospital even if it bleeds internally it will slow it a bit you can still die yes but it buys you time to get better trained help

·
Registered
7 Posts
The ONLY time you should really be using quick clot is on wounds where the bleeding absolutely CANNOT be stopped in a timely fashion by any other means. Pretty much only a severe femoral artery wound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
don't bother with quick klot. get an H-Bandage instead. they are clinically proven for serious arterial bleeding, and are in practice in the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters today. and unlike other bandages, they can be removed and replaced without a medic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
QC should only be used for arterial bleeds that cannot be stopped. It also is not to be just poured into or onto a wound. When I have used it I had my hand in the wound to mid-palm applying direct pressure to the artery. After 5 minutes of direct pressure we quickly pulled all dressing material out and scooped out any blood. Then we made a "wound bowl" with the skin. Basically we grab the edges of the would with our fingers and lift up and out forming a bowl in which to pour the QC. As soon as the QC is INSIDE the wound bowl we put more dressing material on directly in and on the would and apply direct pressure for another 5 minutes minimum. It will get very hot, but the bleed will most likely be controlled.

Never, ever just pour it on a wound or the skin. When used properly, it works well.

·
Survivalist
53 Posts
Sorry for second guessing Quick Clot but i've found something that works just as good for half the price maybe more than half. Don't laugh now since i'm a bit of a herbalist.

Comfrey I've used this and you can pick up the powder at any herbal store for about 1.00 an Ounce. I've got about 16 Ounces stored. I used this when i put a metal rod into my shoulder about 2 inches in tour it up blood everywhere...while i was waiting for my wife to get home to run me to the hospital she a Nurse BTW.. about 30 mins went by and i couldn't stop the blood flow so i went to my herbal cupboard and pulled out the bag of this stuff laid down on the ground and dumped it into the wound within 2 minutes it had stopped bleeding. and the wound had all but sealed up with the help of the comfrey. I'm not saying this is a miracle cure for anything however when we went to the hospital I told the doc what i did he didn't even bother to really clean the wound just gave me a tetanus shot and bandaged me up and sent me on my way ....I was pi$$ed i got a bill for 350 dollars a week later ..and had a recent tetanus shot 2 year prior so i should have been good.

Comfrey is from the Latin word conferta, meaning "to grow together"; Symphytum has the same meaning in Greek. Comfrey is so named because it is used as a herbal remedy to knit bones, mend lacerations, and heal wounds. Typically applied to the skin, comfrey can be a valuable healing tool.

Comfrey has been found to cause cells to divide at an increased rate, thus healing bones and wounds more quickly. Comfrey may be used topically -- as a salve or poultice -- on cuts, bruises, abrasions, and burns. Comfrey should never be taken internally. Most health regulatory agencies in the Western world have banned the internal use of comfrey due to the pyrrolizidine alkaloids found in this plant, which are known to harm the livers of animals fed diets consisting largely of comfrey leaves. Other pyrrolizidine alkaloid-containing weeds have caused epidemics of poisoning in Third World countries when they contaminated grain supplies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts