·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Nope...........

Reactions: epyon26 and Grevlin

·
Fenced In
3,441 Posts
I've come close, and I actually was able to easily justify an AR purchase because I'd already made the investment in mags and ammo at a time (not long ago) when neither was readily available. For a pistol specifically, I already owned a Taurus PT92 and had several mags, so when another one came up for sale locally, I had to talk myself out of buying it even though I like the one I have and wanted another in a different finish.

Does that count?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
I almost purchased a Beretta 92 because I have about 20 used mags lying around, but I came to my senses don't need a beretta brick.

·
Registered
448 Posts
cheap magazines equals malfunctions, no matter what the quality of gun. i hear and read this question often and i dont understand why that would be a consideration. magazines arent consumable items because you buy them once and they last forever. i see them as more of an investment than anything else, especially the high capacity mags.

the cheapest magazines are for 1911's ($10-$12) but apparently they are hit and miss. it is better to pay $35 for a quality, proven mag than go cheap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've always found cheap mags - non factory mags don't work worth beans. I had a mini 14 years ago and the factory mags worked great . I had an AR 15 and it functioned best with quality mags .

there is'nt any good mags that are cheap except as one other said the possible 1911 mag .

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I always consider magazine cost when researching the purchase of a gun. I have a minimum number of mags that I always buy at the same time. If I can't afford the entire setup, then I either wait till I can, or look into something else.

Generally it's not as big of a factor to me with handguns since my minimum number of magazines is fairly low at 6-8, compared to a rifle where my minimum can be 20 or more. But it's still a factor.

That's for "serious" guns. Fun guns, hunting guns, and range toys are exempt. I buy whatever I want.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Mag cost is one consideration but low on the list. It's why I still like my CZ even though mags are more expensive than any other gun I own. In all honesty, the extra cost of a few mags (say $50-$75 total more than a different gun) doesn't outweigh the intended use of the gun. Concealment, weight, durability, accuracy, grip, etc.

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
I did consider buying an FN FAL because mags were like $1 each. Not exactly a pistol though.
Glock mags are about the cheapest decent mags I have seen. Didn't need talked into buying those though.

I do have Glock mags for a Glock I don't own yet (G21), does that count?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I look at buying most guns as buying a system. A glock may only be five hundred, but I like a 3.5 connector, Vickers Mag release and to upgrade the sights. And a total of 10 standard capacity mags. These all add to the price of the system. At $25 per mag glock mags are cheaper than most other pistol mags. When I bought my M&P the mags were $21 or $22 and shipped for free. I bought it instead of a PPQ because at the time PPQ mags were $45. If I found a HK for $350 by pure miracle $50 or $60 mags wouldn't bother me.

At the end of the day you need to consider what you want to spend on "your" system. For some a Glock Gen4 with factory Night Sights that come with 3 mags might be all they think they need beside a holster. Or a better example is a FN FNS because it comes with 3 mags and the best factory sights out there but mags are $45. If you're never going to buy any more mags besides what comes with the gun price of the mags is irrelevant.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.