Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Buy a post-ban AK

Votes: 25 47.2%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many people build a whole AR-15, but would it be best to do the same for an AK-47? Should i but a pre-built AK like an Arsenal M-7 or should I just buy a receiver and start building from there. Also, what AK's are better pre-ban or post-ban? I don't care for resale value, it's just that i always hear talk about pre-ban AK -47's.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I pick up a Saiga 7.62 x 39 and a 308 yesterday. I went back today to get another 308 and the gun dealer told me he tried to order more , but was told they can't get anymore. He told me buying a Saiga rifle is over in our state and maybe the whole US.The window for getting one is closing.The supplier said he don't think they will be importing any more.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pick up a Saiga 7.62 x 39 and a 308 yesterday. I went back today to get another 308 and the gun dealer told me he tried to order more , but was told they can't get anymore. He told me buying a Saiga rifle is over in our state and maybe the whole US.The window for getting one is closing.The supplier said he don't think they will be importing any more.
What about a U.S. made Arsenal?

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Wait until you turn 18. Then flee Kalifornia and buy an un-neutered AK.

Seriously though, I thought it was illegal in California to build/assemble a rifle. I thought they had to be bought assembled? I can't remember where I heard that though, so I could be way off base on this one...

Either way, the days of being able to build an AK for dirt cheap are long gone. The parts kits for sale these days are $400~, so the value isn't nearly what it used to be. Unless you want to assemble it just to say you did it, which there is nothing wrong with... :thumb:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait until you turn 18. Then flee Kalifornia and buy an un-neutered AK.

Seriously though, I thought it was illegal in California to build/assemble a rifle. I thought they had to be bought assembled? I can't remember where I heard that though, so I could be way off base on this one...

Either way, the days of being able to build an AK for dirt cheap are long gone. The parts kits for sale these days are $400~, so the value isn't nearly what it used to be. Unless you want to assemble it just to say you did it, which there is nothing wrong with... :thumb:
I will be moving out of California soon, but if I do build an AK cant I buy everything other than some parts, like the AR where you can't buy the lower receiver until your 18?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I want a milled receiver not stamped. If I do buy an arsenal though I will be putting a good amount of after market parts since this will be my main go-to rifle.ie. smoother trigger group, stock, pictanny and weaver rails(call me a mall ninja, I don't care) :thumb:

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
What is Arsenals top of the line full size AK-47?
Top of the line milled AK in the Arsenal line is the SA M7, IIRC. Is there any particular reason you want to go strictly milled? It's your money, and they ARE nice, but there is no performance difference between stamped and milled, and stamped is lighter. I have an SGL31 and it's a superb weapon, in case you haven't looked at that Arsenal line.

You can buy unfinished stamped AK receiver flats without an FFL, if I remember correctly, but you'll need to bend the flats, and put the rails in the receiver, not to mention do some riveting. Also, it wouldn't be a milled receiver. I don't know of any milled receivers that are available for sale, and if they are they would almost certainly have to go through an FFL, just like an AR receiver.

Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable on AK builds will chime in. I love the AK, but I have not built one. So my experience with AK "builds" is purely theoretical and based on what I have gleaned from various forums. :thumb:

PS: Attached is a pic of my SGL31. It would probably meet some of your criteria, but it's a stamped receiver...

Attachments

Reactions: Forster

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Top of the line milled AK in the Arsenal line is the SA M7, IIRC. Is there any particular reason you want to go strictly milled? It's your money, and they ARE nice, but there is no performance difference between stamped and milled, and stamped is lighter. I have an SGL31 and it's a superb weapon, in case you haven't looked at that Arsenal line.

You can buy unfinished stamped AK receiver flats without an FFL, if I remember correctly, but you'll need to bend the flats, and put the rails in the receiver, not to mention do some riveting. Also, it wouldn't be a milled receiver. I don't know of any milled receivers that are available for sale, and if they are they would almost certainly have to go through an FFL, just like an AR receiver.

Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable on AK builds will chime in. I love the AK, but I have not built one. So my experience with AK "builds" is purely theoretical and based on what I have gleaned from various forums. :thumb:

PS: Attached is a pic of my SGL31. It would probably meet some of your criteria, but it's a stamped receiver...
Your SGL31 is pretty much how i want my AK to look. I only say milled because I was always told hey are better in every way. I guess i'll just have to do some research. Also, is there a problem with it having to go through the FFL?

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Your SGL31 is pretty much how i want my AK to look. I only say milled because I was always told hey are better in every way. I guess i'll just have to do some research. Also, is there a problem with it having to go through the FFL?
Through an FFL you'll have to be 18 years old to purchace the receiver just like buying a complete rifle. You'll also have to complete BATFE Form 4473, so there will be a record of your purchace if the ATF was ever to look at the FFL Dealers records and files.

That scares some of the folks around here. I don't LIKE to buy from an FFL, but I will if I have to to get the gun I want. Otherwise, I prefer to buy used face-to-face... :thumb:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, I did a good amount of research and as of this moment, Iwill get an Arsenal SGL21. I know it's just a professionally converted Saiga. Does anybody have some extra input on this gun?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Alright, I did a good amount of research and as of this moment, Iwill get an Arsenal SGL21. I know it's just a professionally converted Saiga. Does anybody have some extra input on this gun?
I own an SGL20, (basically a 21 without the grenade launcher lug), and it's been fantastic. Tough as nails, pretty damn accurate and eats anything you feed it. I wish I would have bought the other 2 the guy had about 2 years ago because he was selling them NIB for $675. :mad:

+1 on the steel mags also. I got a few brand new surplus ones from Midway USA for $19.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts