Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Economist
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a way to buy lamp oil in bulk? I would like to fill a 55 gallon drum with lamp oil, and don't want to pay 13 per gallon by buying quarts at wal mart.

Has anybody tried to contact the manufacturer and order wholesale, or does hazmat shipping kill the deal.

I have a few dozen dietz lanterns (some for barter) and the manufacturer lists Kerosene for outdoor use only. Despite assurances from some on this board, I am thinking I should listen to the manufacturer.

Has anybody tried buying Klean Heat from Home Depot? (synthetic kerosene) I Wonder how much that costs?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Manufacturers say things to protect themselves in case some "dumba**" is using their product. Primary usage of kerosene from the late 1850's, when cheaper methods of distillation were discovered, was for lighting. Indoor lighting.

Lamp oil is just further refined kerosene. Not sure how it would be safer. Just burns cleaner. Back to your original question, I don't believe they sell it in larger-than-one gallon quantities.

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
I think Dietz is saying do not use the lantern indoors, no matter if you are using kerosene or lamp oil. Even Though the lantern is supposed to go out if it is knocked over they do not want the lawsuit if you have a fire.

This lamp oil verses kerosene has been talked about for years. My opinion is that either burn as well as the other in wick lamps and lanterns. I think lamp oil stores longer than kerosene in the lamp. In a sealed container kerosene stores as well as lamp oil.

My other observation is that the plastic containers that lamp oil comes in get brittle over time. When dropped they shatter making a mess. I keep a five gallon kerosene can labeled lamp oil. when I buy lamp oil I pore it out of the original container into the five gallon can.

·
Ná satail orm
993 Posts
My other observation is that the plastic containers that lamp oil comes in get brittle over time. When dropped they shatter making a mess. I keep a five gallon kerosene can labeled lamp oil. when I buy lamp oil I pore it out of the original container into the five gallon can.
:thumb:

I haven't had one of the lamp oil containers break, yet, but I've had plenty of "ice melt" containers of similar material shatter after a year or so. I bought one of the yellow 5 Gal. diesel fuel containers to store mine in. It's almost full so it's time to buy another.

·
Economist
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, this is the first that I have heard of quantities greater than quart size. This would be useful info if you can find out where they get it from.

·
Registered
68 Posts
somewhat related, when is the best time to buy "clearance" lamp oil? for example, i just bought 2.5 gallons of kerosene at Walmart for $7 since it was the end of the winter season.

what is considered the end of the season to buy clearance lamp oil? maybe sept? i figure they expect most people to buy during the summer seasons for patio burning.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
the 'white' kero is what you want. the dietz lanterns are relatively safe indoors it's the glass globe lamps that scare me and I have 3 of them I use a good deal.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
You can occasionally find lamp oil (paraffin oil) on clearance at Tractor Supply pretty cheap. Usually in the springtime. Wal-Mart has it sometimes too. There are places to buy it fairly cheaply online but the shipping costs a fortune.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Heating oil usualy refers to #2 fuel/diesel I would not want to burn that inside my house
But yes it will burn in a wick type lamp

I have a 3 gallon can I bought at a restaurant supply - they also have little 1 cup size sealed one piece lamps at A fair price / you know the little lamps that go on the table when you go out to eat somewear nice, also sternos by the case

·
Crazy
5,576 Posts
I have some old oil I lit a while back and it smoked like hell. I dont know if it was because it was old or maybe it absorbed water or something. I would store to much cuase it may go bad.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
The guys that sell the overpriced "lamp" kero get it in bulk, probably 55 gallons, from a wholesaler. You can too, no, I don't know where specifically now cause the last time I bought bulk petro products was in 1998. Ask at a real garage, not Kragen etc. Regular kerosene has always been fine for me, you can buy it in a 55 gallon drum for about $4 a gallon...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts