Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I am looking to expand my gun collection further and could use friendly advise. I already own a 7.62x39 ak style rifle. Currently i am looking at getting another Rifle either for a backup or for my wife to use in case of SHTF. would it be smarter in your opinion to double down and get another 7.62 or pick up a rifle in 5.56 or 223. I have shot both but I do find it difficult to find a range that allows magnetic ammunition. I'm not looking to start another caliber/ak vs ar war. Just want to know what you all think.

Take it easy out there

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
It's for the wife, let the wife decide... An AR15 might be a better fit for some women, as it's recoil is lesser, and the weapons platform can be lighter. I like heavier rifles, but the wife might think completely otherwise. I may think that the kick from a .300 WM is not too bad, and the wife might think that the 7.62x39 is too much.. And then and again, your wife might like a matching AK.. Who knows? Ask !

·
Registered
33 Posts
AR's are nice but look into the Kel Tec SU-16C, they are pretty unique in their folding stock and make excellent car or truck guns.

·
Bugged out already
3,931 Posts
I agree that it's best to get your wife involved in the decision. That said, I got my wife an AR15 with a 16 inch barrel and collapsible stock. They are light a and suited for a smaller person. I put an aftermarket muzzle device on it that does a good job of better taming the recoil.

My wife never did well with the iron sights, but with a red dot or an ACOG she is good enough to be an asset. I started her on a 22 rifle and then the AR.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
AR's are nice but look into the Kel Tec SU-16C, they are pretty unique in their folding stock and make excellent car or truck guns.
For the costs, uh, no... Not nearly as durable; not as easy to get parts for IF you need them; not really suitable for as heavy of use.. For LIGHT use, maybe.

·
Deplorable
4,356 Posts
Stay with what you already have ... x39 currently runs ~ $250/case of 1,000 while .223/5.56 is ~ $100-150 more for the same 1,000 rounds. Two AKs is better than one, and better than one AK and one AR. Mags are interchangeable, field stripping is identical, and both persons can train with a uniform rifle platform. Nothing new to learn or buy.

·
Registered
952 Posts
AR with lightweight barrel, tube FF handguard and adjustable gas block is a great pick for women/kids. Or in my case, guys that dont like humping alot of weight around.

You can go further and end up with a 4lb AR that recoils like a .22LR, but that requires alot more planning and cost.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Hey all. I am looking to expand my gun collection further and could use friendly advise. I already own a 7.62x39 ak style rifle. Currently i am looking at getting another Rifle either for a backup or for my wife to use in case of SHTF. would it be smarter in your opinion to double down and get another 7.62 or pick up a rifle in 5.56 or 223. I have shot both but I do find it difficult to find a range that allows magnetic ammunition. I'm not looking to start another caliber/ak vs ar war. Just want to know what you all think.

Take it easy out there
Has your wife fired a 7.62x39 round?

No outside ranges where you live?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I agree that the rifle should be useful for your wife.

As an individual, you can only run one at a time and if she hates your platform, she will not practice. Two barrels going boom works better than spare parts assembled in the gun safe.

But I also completely agree that one should have an interchangeable backup for primary weapons.

I personally, would get the rifle that my wife enjoyed. Then, purchase two more complementary back ups of whatever flavor you chose. (And spare parts on top of that)

1 = none

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the input. to answer your question Kalashnikov, there are outdoor ranges but for the most part they are private or run by the DNR and have no steel ammo rule. there is one that is an unmanned range but its a hike to get there so we don't go as often as I would like. as for my wife, she has no issue with firing the rifle. she finds the shorter wood stock found on a lot of models to be more comfortable.

·
Texan
1,756 Posts
I was going to suggest an AK-74 if your wife had issues with the rifle over an AR, but if shes fine with it get a second 47 and stack it deep. Keep lookin for a range AKs are becoming more popular there has to be somewhere you can go shooting.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
follow up question: does anyone know a brand of non steel x39 ammo that is worth the money? all i can find is really expensive stuff.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Golden Tiger is the best of the cheap russian 'animal' ammo. Its a FMJBT and it regularly patterns a few inches higher and tighter for me in all my AKs. It is steel cased. Great for storing cases away.

I agree with sticking with the platform and caliber you already own. I would say the same thing if you had an AR or AK.
I disagree with this when starting out. Having an AK and an AR give you options, and lets everyone try both thoroughly. Right now, ARs are the cheapest they will ever be. Buy one now and you will at least break even in a year if you find you hate them.

·
Fenced In
3,257 Posts
How about an AR in 7.62x39? While you wouldn't have interchangeable parts between it and your current gun, you would have a common caliber. Some folks on the forum have said that a properly-built "AR47" should have an upgraded bolt over what most include, so that may be something to consider, but in any case, the AR platform opens a lot of doors as far as add-on/spare parts are concerned.

You could also look at the Ruger Mini-30.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts