Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twenty five years ago, when I first got out of college and didn't have a pot to pi$$ in nor a window to pour it out of, my uncle gave me a mid 80's manufacture S&W 586 as a wedding present. My collection at that time consisted of a $100 Chinese SKS, a Marlin semiauto 22 rifle, and an 870 12 gauge. It was my first handgun. He has since retired, gotten back into shooting, and I'm gifting it back to him as he's begun collecting various Smiths and the blued pre-locks like that one aren't just laying around anymore. And likely, hopefully no time soon, I'll inherit it back some day. The question is, what to replace it with? It's my only 357 revolver.

I'm only looking at 357 revolvers in this thread. I already own HKs, Glocks, a few Rugers, heck even a High Point (which is IMO a fine tackle box gun that works like it should and won't break the bank should it fall in the lake, but that's a whole different thread that's been done way too many times). I don't really have a need for a 357 revolver per se, but want one in the safe.

My thrifty side says get a Ruger GP100 and move on. They aren't necessarily refined, but they are built like tanks, look pretty good, and are readily available most places. However, if I could find one for 1500 or so, my less practical side thinks one of the new generation Pythons would be nifty.

What sayeth SB? Thrifty or "new shiny thing" cool? Or some choice in between?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt I'll ever carry it. Already pretty set in that department. It'll mainly be a safe queen range piece, but since this is a survival forum, it's always good to have a solid revolver in your ensemble. I thought about going up to 44, but I have a good bit of 357 rounds already (plus brass and dies), so sticking to 357. The 586 I had was a 4 inch barrel. Since I'll likely never carry it, strongly considering whatever I get having a 6" barrel to take full advantage of the 357 ballistics.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It will probably be the GP100. I see several NIB around for between seven and eight hundo. I can't see dropping much more for something that will see minimal use. Most of my range time is on my own range and is move and shoot USPSA/IDPA type shooting, or standing still timed exercises like the Bill Drill or Mozambique. About once or twice a year folks will come over and we'll do a "shoot a bunch of different guns" type range day. Those are fun days and a nice change up from most of my "training" type shooting. Whiles it's cool to bring out guns that make the others ooh and ahh on those range days, in this inflation and the tense times we're in I think the extra money for a Python, or even another pre-lock Smith, etc., is better invested into my other preps (or maybe gold). Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I forgot to update. When shopping around, I came across a new H&K P30L in .40 at a great price, and ended up getting that.
I know that's a completely different direction than I originally intended. I decided on consolidating my centerfire pistol chamberings down to 9 mm, .40, and 10 mm Auto. I reload for all 3, and have multiple pistols in each chambering (two is one, one is none). I have plenty of brass, primers, bullets, and powder. I sold my remaining .357 ammo and decided to concentrate on those three. Keeping it simple....
Lastly, I have a few other HK pistols and figured I couldn't go wrong adding another. I love the P30 so far. My only complaint is the SA reset is kind of long (even compared to my USP triggers). Might need the Grey Guns short reset kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts