Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twenty five years ago, when I first got out of college and didn't have a pot to pi$$ in nor a window to pour it out of, my uncle gave me a mid 80's manufacture S&W 586 as a wedding present. My collection at that time consisted of a $100 Chinese SKS, a Marlin semiauto 22 rifle, and an 870 12 gauge. It was my first handgun. He has since retired, gotten back into shooting, and I'm gifting it back to him as he's begun collecting various Smiths and the blued pre-locks like that one aren't just laying around anymore. And likely, hopefully no time soon, I'll inherit it back some day. The question is, what to replace it with? It's my only 357 revolver.

I'm only looking at 357 revolvers in this thread. I already own HKs, Glocks, a few Rugers, heck even a High Point (which is IMO a fine tackle box gun that works like it should and won't break the bank should it fall in the lake, but that's a whole different thread that's been done way too many times). I don't really have a need for a 357 revolver per se, but want one in the safe.

My thrifty side says get a Ruger GP100 and move on. They aren't necessarily refined, but they are built like tanks, look pretty good, and are readily available most places. However, if I could find one for 1500 or so, my less practical side thinks one of the new generation Pythons would be nifty.

What sayeth SB? Thrifty or "new shiny thing" cool? Or some choice in between?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Just MHO, but I think the Ruger "Six" series (Security Six, Police Service Six, etc.) were the all around best EDC .357s ever made. They can be found used and if an inspection does not show up any problems, I would have total confidence in one. I carried mine as combat aircrew in the Navy and still have it. Ruger never should have taken them out of production.

·
Retired Army
7,185 Posts
My favorite is my S&W 686-6. It has a 3" barrel, so you get some benefit over the little J frames when shooting the .357 loads. It's not too long, so you can carry on a daily basis without much hassle. It's a solidly built stainless L frame, so even with the somewhat shorter barrel, there's enough weight to make shooting it nice with full power loads... and it holds 7 of them.

Light Revolver Air gun Material property Everyday carry

·
Registered
664 Posts
The GP100 is a good solid gun, I have one of those and its smaller cousin the SP101, both are great guns but the SP is a handfull when shooting 357 shells. I also had a S&W like pictured above but traded my buddy for the SP to kinda keep more of a Ruger revolver collection, it was a nice pistol also, it shot like the SP.. My fovorite revolver I own is an old Colt Python that my stepdad left me (about a 1976 mode) still in the box and I dont think its ever been fired. Shes just a safe queen though, I take her out of the safe everyone in a while and oil and shine her, but but those old things are worth a fortune now and I want to keep her mint as possible. Hell I aint even fired the Ruger's in years, most of the shooting I do now a days is with my Glocks.

·
Registered
861 Posts
My favorite is my S&W 686-6. It has a 3" barrel, so you get some benefit over the little J frames when shooting the .357 loads. It's not too long, so you can carry on a daily basis without much hassle. It's a solidly built stainless L frame, so even with the somewhat shorter barrel, there's enough weight to make shooting it nice with full power loads... and it holds 7 of them.

View attachment 399495
I have a Mod 66-1 with the 2.5" barrel. I think you mean holds 6 rounds, not 7.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt I'll ever carry it. Already pretty set in that department. It'll mainly be a safe queen range piece, but since this is a survival forum, it's always good to have a solid revolver in your ensemble. I thought about going up to 44, but I have a good bit of 357 rounds already (plus brass and dies), so sticking to 357. The 586 I had was a 4 inch barrel. Since I'll likely never carry it, strongly considering whatever I get having a 6" barrel to take full advantage of the 357 ballistics.

Reactions: huskersox86

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I doubt I'll ever carry it. Already pretty set in that department. It'll mainly be a safe queen range piece, but since this is a survival forum, it's always good to have a solid revolver in your ensemble. I thought about going up to 44, but I have a good bit of 357 rounds already (plus brass and dies), so sticking to 357. The 586 I had was a 4 inch barrel. Since I'll likely never carry it, strongly considering whatever I get having a 6" barrel to take full advantage of the 357 ballistics.
In that case, I also really like my Smith Model 28. Mine has a 4" barrel. My Dad had one with a 6". Those are great shooting guns. I can just effortlessly hit what I'm aiming at with that gun for some reason.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
There are a 1000 ways to go. I am really like Smiths, but I have a snub EAA blued .357 Mag that works well and will not break the bank. I have a Model 13 Smith that is not as bulky as the N frame guns. I have been looking for a Ruger, but not found one at a price I like. If you are just looking for something to shoot at the range and don't worry about collectability or carry, them about any known brand of revolver would do.

I keep saying I want to shoot one of these

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,826 Posts
I bought one of the early Ruger GP 100 revolvers, and have run my wild and wooly handloads through it for 35 yrs. It is decently accurate and built like a tank.

Four yrs ago I saw a more refined version of the GP 100 in a gun store, and I bought that one too. This new version is called the Match Champion. It has a lighter, profiled barrel, and less chunky feel. Handles more like the old Security Six. The GP 100 Match comes with a shimmed hammer, factory trigger job, and carries and shoots far better IMO.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Get you a Ruger GP100. I’m partial to blued, but they make a stainless, as well. The stainless would be comparable to the S&W 686. The blued version would be comparable to the 586. The 586 and GP100 are both excellent firearms. The 586 was introduced in 1980 or 1981. I want to say 1981. The Ruger GP100 was introduced somewhere around 1985. The GP100 is built like a tank. I think you would be very happy with one. Just my personal opinion. I’m not a Ruger executive and I don’t play one on TV.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Depending on your location, you might be able to find a used Dan Wesson .357 (or the same off branded .357 made by DW, the High Standard Sentinel). I've seen them go for $500 up to around $1,600 ish for the pistol pack with a different length barrel or three.

CZ bought the brand so parts are available.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts