Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a mind to buy something that chambers a 7.62x39 (like a SKS) for some time, now I wish I had done it before the election.

I was talking with a friend who has a large collection of firearms and he suggested I avoid buying an SKS where it involves a dealer due to the paper trail that is generated. He said I should look for a private seller where it is cash over the table, nice to meet you, see ya later!

Does he have a valid point or is it a bit of paranoia? How many of you would walk into a dealer and go through everything to buy a SKS? I'm new to the state I'm in (CT; very liberal state with many gun laws), so I'm still figuring out what hoops I have to jump through.

Thanks!

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Too much paranoia, now I do not know about the hassles of CN.s gun paperwork though. Check out gunbroker before you buy. They still have some reasonably priced rifles. I hear that the prices are starting to get in the gouge range in some places.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i always figured it was worth a little more ,even though most of the time it was cheaper to buy from a private seller because there is no paper....but i live in illinois and we are called in to the state cops for approval instead of the feds.....the SOBs keep records forever.....as far as SKSs go there are thousands out there....shouldnt be a problem to find a private seller......

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I went to a gun show this past weekend as was a little disappointed with what I found. It was mostly collectible firearms, knives and ARs. The only SKS's at the show were at 1 booth. One was Chinese and not in the best shape ($375) and the other was a Russian in very nice shape ($575). I noticed the guy filling out paperwork for others who were buying, so it looks like he may have been a dealer. I'm thinking something more like $200-250 anyway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good luck getting an SKS for that price these days. The price on SKS and AK's has gone through the roof. Just find the best one you can afford and go for it. Ammo is going to start to dry up soon so buy plenty of that too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SKS

I bought an SKS in Texas during the summer for $350 with a composite stock and 30 rnd clip. That was a good price at that time. Finding one now for less than $400 will be almost impossible from a dealer or a knowledgeable owner.

I also attended a show this last weekend outside of Baton Rouge, LA and the prices were more like $450 and up. The ammo situation was worse. It was going out the door in cases in every caliber. A lot of people are stocking up and getting ready.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Buy it from a private person without a paper trail... People who think this is simply paranoia have never seen what happened after Katrina when they rounded up guns from registered gun owners with paper trails.... Guns have already been rounded up in our country, yet people still consider it "conspiracy theory" tinfoil hat stuff.. It's not. The government would like nothing more than to take ALL of our guns away. They just have to be more sneaky about it and more patient because most gun owners really value this right. Unfortunately, they whittle away that right little by little right under our noses in the guise of public safety.. First assault rifles were banned, and even those that people thought should be "grandfathered".. So if you buy an SKS through a dealer, and suddenly another "assault" rifle ban comes down the pike (which it will soon), and they decided to add SKS' to the list, as they did with AK's, then guess what? You'll have a paper trail leading them right to your door to check up on you. And sure, you could have sold it, since no paper trail is required after the initial purchase.. but you will still end up having your house searched, if not after a "ban", after another form of emergency, like what happened after Katrina..

And if you DO get an SKS, you won't be sorry.. Mine was the best $170 I have ever spent. And yes, it was unfortunately through a dealer before I knew better.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
buy wherever you can find one now. Gun show in Dallas last weekend people were buying them for twice what they were worth. Spoke to my dealer today and he has none left. Sold out over weekend.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I went to the gun show on Sunday with a mission to get an SKS. Prices were crazy with the dealers. I had several friends at the show and they kept a lookout for me and before long I was striking a deal with a private sale for a chinese SKS for $275. That's more than I would have paid several months ago but hey, everything's relative. I prefer private sale cause no paper trail, no tax, no background check fee, etc.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Private party = no paperwork. ;) ;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
samcoglobal.com has unissued yugos for $250,
they are rationing them to 1 per order.
lewhorton.com has unissued ones as well through their dealer network at $340

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmmm, seems that avoiding anything that generates a paper trail and waiting to find something private party is the consensus. I'm not gunless, just 7.62-less. I've been watching Gunbroker, but most seem to be dealer items that will certainly generate a trail.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Private party is the way to go...avoid the registration, fees, etc.

And I'd go w/ an AK-74 over SKS if you can afford a little extra since
5.45 is much cheaper and well its an AK...

I thought I could go w/ detachable duckbill mags w/ my SKS but never could get em to feed right and besides they are bulky and hard to carry.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Private party is the way to go...avoid the registration, fees, etc.

And I'd go w/ an AK-74 over SKS if you can afford a little extra since
5.45 is much cheaper and well its an AK...

I thought I could go w/ detachable duckbill mags w/ my SKS but never could get em to feed right and besides they are bulky and hard to carry.

The TAPCO duckbill mags are good. As close to jam-free as it gets. However, the stock 10 rounder is definitely "10 for sure". The SKS is probably the only semi-auto out there that is MORE reliable than the AK47.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've read that detachable mags for the SKS can be finicky and it's best to stay with the fixed mag.

Anyone have suggestions on how to ferret out a private party SKS other than cruise gun shows, have friends keep a look out and talk to guys at the gun range? Anything over the internet/phone will have to involve an FFL.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I've read that detachable mags for the SKS can be finicky and it's best to stay with the fixed mag.

Anyone have suggestions on how to ferret out a private party SKS other than cruise gun shows, have friends keep a look out and talk to guys at the gun range? Anything over the internet/phone will have to involve an FFL.

Thanks!
Mags for SKS are hit and miss. I think the Tapco's are pretty good though.

As for finding an SKS, try the local trader type magazines they put out once a week or so. Cost like a dollar and people sell everything.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a tapco duckbill and it is a total POS. Basically all it is good for is stripping the spring for other mags. I wouldn't trust any duckbill in my SKS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts