Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Trust ***, Prep To Serve
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions on the most cost effective way (per ounce/pound) to buy canned goods in bulk. I'd like to spend up to $500 per month on canned goods and am thinking I could do better if one month I just bought TUNA...the next month CORN...and so forth...rather than taking that money to Aldi's every month.

Anyone have the scoop on where I could buy canned goods in bulk like that? Just trying to get the most bang of the buck at this point.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
If you don't mind the cans being the #10 size, you can go to a local restaurant supplier. I buy the #10 cans from Sams Club. We don't eat it all at the time of opening the can so I put whats left over in jars and eat it later in the week.

·
Trust ***, Prep To Serve
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is Sams club the best supplier? Are there any online suppliers that can ship in bulk? Would that be better?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I can understand why you would want to pursue this approach, but I urge you not to for these reasons:

1) Generally it is more useful to have a smaller but wider selection of food and other supplies than the reverse; and,

2) This approach does not capitalize on sales efficiently because it is so targeted.

I would strongly suggest you use your monthly budget to stock everything you need (food, water, shelter, warmth, medical, defense) until you have a week's supply. Then keep expanding as evenly as possible in each area.

You may already have some areas covered, and in that case I would reallocate that share of funds in the budget to areas where your stocks are lower.

·
Trust ***, Prep To Serve
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate that advice, and I see its wisdom. I might not do this forever, but for the next few months I would just like to bulk up with larger cans. My larder is just too lean.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I can understand your feelings of urgency.

Also if you have a big group you are feeding, the larger cans may be more appropriate.

Just think about serving sizes and the degree of food waste you would experience if you have no refrigeration for leftovers available.

When I went through hurricanes and the subsequent power outages, I was feeding just myself and found the smaller cans worked better (and I often had a little leftover that I fed to my big dog). I had to reduce food waste in every way possible because there was no garbage pickup -- and food waste attracts vermin of all kinds.

I appreciate that advice, and I see its wisdom. I might not do this forever, but for the next few months I would just like to bulk up with larger cans. My larder is just too lean.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,181 Posts
Watch the weekly sales ads and shop the loss leaders. It didn't take me very long at all to amass a pretty decent room full of "store what you eat, eat what you store" goods by simply buying a case or two of whatever was on sale that particular week. Any questions by noisy shoppers or clerks was answered with "I volunteer at the local food bank and they are low on X,Y, or Z."

Now I only fill in the blanks, from rotation, by shopping the loss leaders. It's a GREAT way to save money!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
BadgeBunny -- that is what I do as well.

Lately though I have taken it a step further. I will pre-order items by the case at the beginning of a sale and pickup from the store, already packaged in case lots. I get the sale prices, nifty storage boxes and a guaranteed quantity of what I want.

Also I have a clear conscience that I am being a courteous shopper and not clearing out the loss leaders for someone else shopping in the store.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Back when I was buying my food instead of growing it, I would look for the sales at the grocery where they'd have 2 or 3 cans for a dollar and then I'd buy several cardboard flats of a dozen of differant canned veggies from the stack they'd have out in the aisle. I'd get looks occaisionally from the people who'd pick two or three cans from the differant flats,lol. One time I actually had the conveyor belt at the checkout stand come to a stop under the weight of several flats. After that the checkers would just ask for a single can of each type of vegetable to scan and the number of them I had to enter into the cash register,lol. Nowadays I grow all my own vegetables. Haven't bought any in 3 years.

·
never quit
741 Posts
I've had lots of luck with Walmart.com and Amazon!
If you spend some time online and shop between the two sites, you can get great deals on bulk food shipped to your house free.
With Walmart there is a $ 45 min order to get free shipping, and Amazon $ 25 if you're not doing the 'subscribe & save' option.
I like the free shipping as it saves time and back aches!
The prices vary from pretty good to 'steals' depending on what's available that day.
On both sites I've gotten better than brick & mortar store prices.
For instance, the 4 lb box of Dry Milk at WM.com is $13, in the store it's $17.
I just bought 24 cans of Hunt's Diced tomatoes for about $ 1 a can. Now you can get those cheaper on sale with coupons, but you have to do more hunting around than I care to and then you have to lug them home.
When shopping this way it helps to price out the items per ounce so that you can comparison shop.
Hope this helps you!

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,136 Posts
You can buy the big cans of Tuna at Sam's, but only save the price of one can at most. Just buy the ten packs.

Sam’s Bush’s Baked Beans #10 117 oz $6.08 $0.052 per oz.
Sam’s Allens Baked Beans #10 115 oz $4.38 $0.037 per oz.
Bush’s Best Baked Beans, 21-28 oz, 3/$5 $5.00 $0.060 per oz.
Above with Coupons $3.48 for 3 cans $3.48 $0.041 per oz.

Looks like you can get the cheap stuff in big cans from sam's for the lowest price. If you clip coupons and look for good sales, you can get the good stuff for almost the same price.

The problem is that you have to wait for the sale and find the coupons.

I agree with your above post. Buy some bulk (#10 cans) food now to get started. For the long term, watch for sales and stock up on different items at the right time. Over the July 4th weekend, we broke open a #10 can to get rid of it. Always a big Bar-B-Q & Beans weekend.

My first stop at the grocery is always the 2 for 1 sale. We also just picked up 4 precooked hams for about 60% off. The butcher even sliced it into 3/8" slices for free. Put one whole in the freezer. Bagged and froze 1/2 as ham steak and diced the rest.

The exchange also has a case sale every so often -- never seems to work with my schedule. Don't know if the price is ever better than the 2-1 anyway.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
GFS (Gordon Food Supply) a distributor for schools, restaurants, etc., now has community stores in certain cities and prices beat Sams, Aldi, etc. No membership required either... :thumb:

Further savings (around 10%) can be had if you are the member of some organization that uses their products -- church, day care, club, etc. -- ask the manager.

#10 cans of pork and beans are about $3. Similar savings on other items.

Note that SOME THINGS are more expensive because they are branded or specialty items for high end food service. Know your prices.

http://stores.gfsmarketplace.com/

One consideration with the big cans is keeping them cool once opened if the power is out. Have to eat the whole can in one sitting unless you have other means of cold storage. Canned foods are killers once opened and warm to typical outdoor temps.

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
I get the local sales papers, when something goes on sale I stockup.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I( have to agree with a few others large cans is a refrigeration problem. I watch the sales and i hit more then one store for what I need each week it really doesn't take that long each trip. Later in the week I make a milk run and do the round of stores again in and out. Later at night when there's less people helps on a week night. I get more variety and that second trip the car's being unloaded in the dark no neighbors to see the extra trip that's almost as much food as the first.

Start a price book or get a smart phone app that'll price the cheapest in your area.

·
Super Moderator
20,663 Posts
I was reading another thread this weekend...a person on there said they buy the large cans at Sam's, opens them, and then re-cans them into pints/quarts or whatever they use. I was thinking of trying that because if it works, then it is much cheaper for me to buy the large cans and then put them into pint jars and re-can them. I have to go to Sam's tomorrow...I think I'm going to try a large can of green beans (because my garden didn't like growing green beans this year) :eek:

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,850 Posts
I'm with Shaynagirl on this. If I had $500 per month for canned goods, and not much put away, the first month or two of canned goods would be dedicated to balance. Aldi isn't that bad on price--in fact, $500 at Aldi is a lot of money.

Last time I was there veggies were 59 cents per can. If you can get two flats (24 cans) of four kinds of veggies, that will cost you less than $59. And that's a can a day for 96 days!

Then buy a bunch of tuna, salmon, whatever. Fifty cans of tuna at even a buck a can is only...$50.

There are other canned meats--things like canned hams ($3.49 each IIRC), canned corned beef (similar price), salmon (can't remember). Even at $3.49 each you can get 30 cans for just over $100.

I'd do the balance first, then target longer-term. And I sure wish I had $500 per month to devote to food preps--that's quite a lot.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
I can understand why you would want to pursue this approach, but I urge you not to for these reasons:

1) Generally it is more useful to have a smaller but wider selection of food and other supplies than the reverse; and,

2) This approach does not capitalize on sales efficiently because it is so targeted.

I would strongly suggest you use your monthly budget to stock everything you need (food, water, shelter, warmth, medical, defense) until you have a week's supply. Then keep expanding as evenly as possible in each area.

You may already have some areas covered, and in that case I would reallocate that share of funds in the budget to areas where your stocks are lower.
I gotta agree with ShaynaGirl. Buying bulk one item leads to one item possibly expiting at the same time. Figure out a week or twos overall list and do that every month would be better. Box them up in one week size containers and date them. Then start rotating them through.

Less potential for waste.

My .02

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
GFS (Gordon Food Supply) a distributor for schools, restaurants, etc., now has community stores in certain cities and prices beat Sams, Aldi, etc. No membership required either... :thumb:

Further savings (around 10%) can be had if you are the member of some organization that uses their products -- church, day care, club, etc. -- ask the manager.

#10 cans of pork and beans are about $3. Similar savings on other items.

Note that SOME THINGS are more expensive because they are branded or specialty items for high end food service. Know your prices.

http://stores.gfsmarketplace.com/

One consideration with the big cans is keeping them cool once opened if the power is out. Have to eat the whole can in one sitting unless you have other means of cold storage. Canned foods are killers once opened and warm to typical outdoor temps.
Where are you in WI? I see a couple of locations, will have to check that out.

In dealing with no. 10 cans. It may be useful to you to re-can. I buy case lots of Roma tomatoes from Costco. Quality name brand stuff for really good prices. At some point I will set up and cook those into pasta sauce or chili sauce and then can that in Ball jars.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts