Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried this stuff? I bought 2 containers at Sam Club for really cheap-1 gallon for $6.75. I tried it and it is really a buttery taste, kinda like popcorn butter. It has a best by date and not a use by date. How do you think it will keep long term?

Whirl Fat Free Oil
Whirl butter flavored oil adds delicious butter flavor to everything you make, without the hassles of butter or margarine. Whirls authentic butter flavor makes it great for brushing on pizza crusts and breadsticks and as a replacement for butter or margarine in wing sauces. Best of all, Whirl is half the cost of butter! Features & Benefits: Made with High Oleic Sunflower Oil Excellent Butter Flavor Wont Scortch at High Cooking Temperatures like Butter or Margarine Maintains Great Butter Flavor Even in High Heat Applications No Need to Clarify or Refrigerate No Waste, 100% Useable Half the Cost of Butter

Attachments

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Partially hydrogenated soybean oil, contains 2% or less of salt, soy lecithin, artifical butter flavor, viatamin a palmitate, artificical color, soy protein extract, yeast extract, barley, soy, milk & egg coponents.

calories 120 for 1 tablespoon
256 servings per 1 gallon

total fat 14g
saturated fat 2.5g
trans fat 2g
cholesterol 0g
sodium 110g
total carbs 0g
dietary fiber 0g
sugars 0g
protein 0g

Doesn't have that bad of a ingredients list, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger LOL:D:

Mine is not whirl zt-wonder what the zt is for?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dad's a chef and he uses Whirl on EVERYTHING. I'm not sure if he's ever tried the fat free version. I personally like the taste. He goes through it pretty fast so I can't comment on storage life though.

For food storage probably not a bad idea, but my current findings on hydrogenated products would make me a little leary to make it part of my daily diet.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Partially hydrogenated soybean oil, contains 2% or less of salt, soy lecithin, artifical butter flavor, viatamin a palmitate, artificical color, soy protein extract, yeast extract, barley, soy, milk & egg coponents.

calories 120 for 1 tablespoon
256 servings per 1 gallon

total fat 14g
saturated fat 2.5g
trans fat 2g
cholesterol 0g
sodium 110g
total carbs 0g
dietary fiber 0g
sugars 0g
protein 0g

Doesn't have that bad of a ingredients list, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger LOL:D:

Mine is not whirl zt-wonder what the zt is for?

Sodium might kill you alone, geez its like eating a brick of salt.

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
How far out is its "best by date" most items are usable well beyond if stored properly.

The "no refrigeration" is a plus, is that after opening as well?

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How far out is its "best by date" most items are usable well beyond if stored properly.

The "no refrigeration" is a plus, is that after opening as well?
Yes it is no refrigeration needed ever, I know it is not something I would use evreyday now -but in SHTF scenerio it would probally be more of a comfort thing than a nutrition thing.

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
I'll stick with real butter, the unsalted variety, thanks.:D: At least I know what's in it, and I always leave a stick out in the butter tray on the counter, and have never had a problem with it going bad. Keeps it softer too.

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Although it's probably old hat to most of you, we just ran into dehydrated butter looking for dehydrated eggs. More eggs. Honeyville butter.

And just found Butterbuds. Didn't read too far for application.

Also New Zealand canned butter. Yummo!

Sample can.

The only problem is these options are exspensive, I refuse to pay the prices that these companies charge for these items. Most are marked up 300% - 400% compared to other options or the same item just bought at a local warehouse for resturants. I have checked around my area and there are 39 resturant supply warehouses that all sell to the public-yet there are people who would rather pay the high mark up to have it delivered to there house.

I only bought the swirl for serious SHTF situation, I can make butter from the goat milk that we get every morning. I think that I will be more worried about eating in the SHTF than whether the item I am eating has anything in it that is less healthy than other options.

From what I have found out Swirl is used by resturants (like Red Lobster, O'Charleys etc.) for breads and other items that are topped with butter. Bakeries use this item too, thats actually where I saw it first.

I just was trying to find out if it would last longer than a year or so, it would be nice to know that my $13.00 was spent on a item that would hold up-if not Lobster and crab legs for all:D:

·
Registered
255 Posts
The only problem is these options are exspensive, I refuse to pay the prices that these companies charge for these items. Most are marked up 300% - 400% compared to other options or the same item just bought at a local warehouse for resturants. <snip>
The links were just a quick search. I did not take time to comparison shop locally or online which I would definitely do before buying. I dunno if I can even get dehydrated eggs locally. Just learning bit by bit. I'll check the restaurant supplies you mentioned. I just threw up the extra ideas since the thread title was "butter subs" and not just the name of the specific product you mentioned.

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The links were just a quick search. I did not take time to comparison shop locally or online which I would definitely do before buying. I dunno if I can even get dehydrated eggs locally. Just learning bit by bit. I'll check the restaurant supplies you mentioned. I just threw up the extra ideas since the thread title was "butter subs" and not just the name of the specific product you mentioned.
I appreciate the other subs, someone may have not known about those.

Did you know you can dehydrate your own eggs? I do all the time, we scramble them (cook until done) and then dry them in the oven until they are completely and totally dried out. You can then store them as is or powder them in a blender, add water to reconstitue when you need them.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Did you know you can dehydrate your own eggs? I do all the time, we scramble them (cook until done) and then dry them in the oven until they are completely and totally dried out. You can then store them as is or powder them in a blender, add water to reconstitue when you need them.

WOW!!!

I had no idea!! THANK YOU! :thumb::thumb: We don't have many extra this time of year, but you can bet this would be a great reason to get a few more birds! Do you know how long these last and the best way to store them?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I posted this about six months ago I think. Anyway, this is how I now store butter... Canned butter link.

It's easy to do, you can really take advantage of sales and you know exactly what you're consuming.

I used to buy Red Feather but it just got to be too expensive.

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I posted this about six months ago I think. Anyway, this is how I now store butter... Canned butter link.

It's easy to do, you can really take advantage of sales and you know exactly what you're consuming.

I used to buy Red Feather but it just got to be too expensive.

I have read too many articles on canning butter like this that end up with botulism tainted butter. The process they use does not kill the bacteria that is in the butter, in some cases it just multiplies the number of bacteria in the butter. I have 2 young children and don't want to take the chance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts