Survivalist Forum banner
261 - 280 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
just can not get much done ,,,as soon as the soil is almost dry enough to start working it ,,,the rain comes again and soaks everything ,,starting to worry it might be a late start here,, going to try getting a few fruit trees /bushes in today as the garden is to wet to do much

the asparagus is starting to pop up tho so some fresh veg is just a day or so away

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
We're having that problem as well. But at least I got my potatoes, strawberries, and mushrooms in! Now it's going back to more seasonable weather, highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s. Too early for planting tomatoes and squashes but I should be able to get my CG plot prepared.

i try and have frost hardy plants in over the next few weeks ,,,but frost sensitive [tomatoes ,beans ,ect ] i try to wait till first part of june ,,or plant so they sprout around the first part of june ,,its not uncommon to get frost till then

but my spuds could go in anytime ,,,,even if they get a bit of frost they usually just keep growing from under surface,,,but i need to be working the ground to prep it for planting,,,but seeing as i cant till im working on trees/bushes
Pollution Groundcover Grass Terrestrial plant Waste

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Land lot

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
above pic is seven more apples i grew from seed in a bag of soil,,of the 16 i planted last year[in ground] 15 are showing signs of life ,,,only one not looking very good[nothing showing ] i think a mouse or something ate it off over winter

and my asparagus is coming on ,,,i swear some grew a couple inches from earlier this morning when i walked out and looked
Grass Groundcover Grass family Pollution Gas
Hand Plant Twig Gesture Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 · (Edited)
back is a bit sore now ,,but i got a bunch of plants in the ground ,,,,seven apples i started from seed and 27 goose berry plants in the ground ,,,14 from cuttings [made 24 cuttings and 14 survived to now] i started last summer and 15 from plants i saved from a job site where they were clearing the ground off to make a lawn/flatter area

the deer seem to like browsing off the goose berries so i put them in the same general area as my grafted fruit trees to protect them a bit

still got 4 current bushes to plant but not sure where to put them yet ,,and a few everbearing strawberries i need to get into the ground

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
harvested a hand full of asparagus today,,,it was so good ,,,lol i look forward to it every year ,,,that first taste every spring is the best

checked on the propagation beds full of asparagus ,,,looks like the crowns are not that deep so might be a bit easier than i thought to dig for transplant,, will find out in a few days when i get started on them

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 · (Edited)
rain on and off for the last couple days so no chance to till or plant anything ,,,lol and i kind of wanted a day off anyhow,,,the good news is the rain is helping the asparagus grow ,,,so i had a big bowl tonight for supper just finished it and the full belly is making me sleepy

lol would of took a pic but didnt want to make kitty cry lol

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 · (Edited)
just about dry enough to work the gardens again ,,but got all my bushes /trees planted [except a few raspberries] and total this year is 47 plants ,,,

12 apple trees [grown from seed]
27 gooseberries[from cuttings and rescue on construction job]
1 cherry [from seed]
5 current bushes [bought on close out last summer]
2 ? unknown ? berry bushes[from seed] that grow in a small tree like structer, with a blue berry like fruit[size and shape with a "crown " ] almost a black color ,,,that has two small grape like seeds in each berry

edit to add i forgot 10 everbearing strawberries

261 - 280 of 315 Posts