Survivalist Forum banner
241 - 260 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Is any of that edible honey?

already had taken honey,,and part of it[wax] was a build up over time,,,had on purpose pushed bees to make wax as well as honey sold enough honey to pay for bees and gear ,,lol and seeing it last forever i put quite a number of buckets of honey away in preps

looking to get back into bee keeping ,,,but the problem being this far north the bought stock from suppliers like mann lake are those are raised in southeren states or california ,and just do not survive here,,i want to set a bunch of swarm traps in areas south of here and in a area in ohio where i knew of wild bees that have been in area for years

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Bees wax is actually very handy! I've used it to make comfrey salve and it seems to be a key ingredient in candle recipes, if one doesn't want to use paraffin.

Won't the hives you've got survive? Will they not split naturally when they get too crowded? Of course, even if they split it's probably too much to ask that the new colony move into that nice, new hive next door. If memory serves bees are territorial, and territories can be fairly large. Right?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
i fought for several years trying to get them to over winter , i could get them to early spring ,[march /april ] and then they just die off ,,,loads of honey still around and above them ,but as soon as we get a day that isnt freezing at that time of year they break cluster and never get back into it when it gets cold again

as far as territorial ? i have had several hives set right next to each other without any problems,,from my understanding bees work up to about 3 miles from hive

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I hear you! Always more that needs doing than time to do it in. Since my urban plot is much smaller than yours, I've pretty much done all of the planting I can do, at least until spring. So it's fiddling with the inside hobbies! I do like lion's mane tincture and learning this skill is a throwback to my college days in mycology. So it's fun!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
this is a few pics of how i make my bee hives on a budget it is a bit of time ,,but the cost are small compared to buying a hive body and frames ,besides it gives me something to do in the long winters
Wood Kitchen utensil Ingredient Cutting board Tableware

i make a wax slab by dipping the wood piece in water [cold] then into hot wax a couple times ,,,then back into the water to firm it up ,,then it will slip off of wood ,,,then i cut it into 3 strips like seen at bottom,,these get waxed into frames so bees will tend to build along the frame more than cross combing
Wood Food Cuisine Hardwood Ingredient

i then take the strips and "paint " them into the saw cuts in frames

if i was starting out building all my own gear you would not need to notch the ends of frames i did it so these can interchange with the frames from my langstroth hives

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,563 Posts
Bushman, now that you are tens yrs into it, and have done all the hard work, here are some ways to reduce the work load. I grew up on a small farm, with a large mortgage, to say the least we were hard pressed. We fed the family of six from our garden, livestock, and chicken pens with 300 hens laying fertilized eggs..

We set up the main full acre garden along side the barn yard, and removed the fenses to allow equipment access. We plowed it in the fall with a 65 hp Allis Chalmers, then disked it in the spring.

Before we planted the veggies, we first marked out the rows with the corn planter. That allowed us to later weed the garden with the field cultivator mounted on the same tractor.

We also grew sweet corn in the main fields using the corn planter. One year we planted potatoes in the field and harvested them using a 4 bottom plow. We ended up with a full pickup bed of potatoes.

The entire famiky worked our tails off, but we eat well, and never realized that other families lived any different. Now I'm old and retired, and trying to recreate part of that life.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 · (Edited)
lol i dont have the acreage to use a tractor i own about 4 acres and between fences and tree lines ect it would be awkward to use a tractor here ,if in the future i get more land i could see the need,

i started building this property into a homestead as much because i like doing these type of chores > as a means of survival if things get bad
i like to grow different things so that = gardens /orchards
i believe we dont own the land but keep it for the future generations = why i grow organic and plant things i might never see a crop from ,a few years ago i planted about 100 butter nut trees [from nuts] and they usually dont bear for 15 years so with luck i might see them ,,,but for 50 to 100 years after someone will

this isnt my first time working a homestead,i built one from the ground up when i was younger and sold it to move and build a construction company that i closed in 08 with the burst of the housing bubble ,here is where i plan to retire to in a few years ,,,in time i see it more as a "nursery" in some ways ,,,i will still garden ,but plans are to sell plants as a income addition

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
That’s why I grow mushrooms, even though I’m not wild about eating them-as a winter hobby. That hobby might save my tail one day though! If food keeps going so high, especially meat, I might be learning to love them.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
i just couldnt wait any longer to be doing something to get the gardens on the go lol
even tho some of it [most] still has feet of snow piled on it ,,,a week or so ago i spread a little bit of stove ash on it here and there to help the melt off and then we got another 6+ inches of snow,,,the ashes are just starting to peek back out,,

so today i put a few lumber tarps and some plastic over different areas, the lumber tarps have a black side so its facing up
the plastic is some i got when they took down the "greenhouses" at the local bigger box store

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
started out today around 34 f ,was sprinkling and the soil that is thawed is soaking wet,,trying to get ahead of rush that i know is coming ,,,this is a big transplant year for me ,,,i been starting plants and buying a few to expand my production in the fruit /berry area

so i started digging holes to transplant some bushes ,,i bought 4 current bushes last fall[deer do not seem to bother] ,,,started a bunch of goose berries [deer eat all new growth],,got a few fruit trees to transplant ,,mostly apples i started from seed, a few cherries,,

lol and another fruit bush /shrub that i can not find a name for anywhere i picked it up at a job site a few years ago ...it has a blueberry size fruit that is a dark purple almost black an a pair of seeds that look like grape seeds
not even sure it is edible but the birds were going crazy for them
it has a crown like a blueberry ,and about the same consistency inside

i also have a fair amount of native fruit scattered around the property and am trying to keep these intact and also propagate [wild plumbs and saskatoon ]

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
It was pretty cool here today, but I heard that there was snow up in Kansas.
i was going to get pics to post until it started snowing ,, i still have areas around and on some spots of my garden that has around a foot of snow still .. a few places more than a foot,, but i got a ton of plants[fruit trees and bushes] to put in [rough guess 70 plants ] ,,,and transplant the asparagus from propagation beds [there are hundreds tending towards several] but if i can get them into the area i plan for it will give me a early crop and longer term use of ground my rabbits didn't seem to bother it or the raspberries so this area can be fenced and let the animals help keep grass down when i start animals going again

241 - 260 of 315 Posts