Survivalist Forum banner
221 - 240 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Looks like you've been very busy this season! Good for you. Regarding the bucket watering method, yours is similar to mine. I use buckets for exactly the same reason: to be able to meter how much water I'm giving. It works better than guessing :D My potato harvest this year was much better for it!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
it speeds it up for me ,i can hit them with a five gallon bucket in each hand and in a few minutes i know they got a gallon of water,,this was the driest year i have ever seen here and to keep all the trees alive was a task i am glad to have got done ,, besides after i can use the bucket to start different plants in to transplant whenever i get a chance

lol can you tell i like ice cream?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
put the thorn babies [goose berries] to bed for winter, i am using the "strawberry" bed,,,it was tilled ,,,enriched, and covered in cardboard and wood chip mulched,, but only had 1 crown grow, so under the plastic is mulched cardboard as you can see in first pic ,,,i dished it out under each pot[moved mulch] ,so there is a water reservoir under each pot . with the mulch on top of plastic it will protect it from sun ,,, and keep the bed under it weed free
Plant Grass Flowerpot Fruit Electric blue
Plant Gas Groundcover Soil Electric blue
Plant Botany Groundcover Automotive tire Soil

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
started to harvest "seed potato" patch,, almost a 5 gallon bucket out of 1/4 of patch , so far going to plan ,a lot of the potatoes are about chicken egg sized so no need to cut in spring ,unless i really need to stretch the seed out

i sort of got the idea from another member here when he was talking about growing potato under low light [winter] to get larger potatoes to make seed,, if i recall correct it was mountain?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 · (Edited)
in above pic you can see the top of the propagation/strawberry bed,, it goes to other corner of garden so its dimension is 62x4

the hostas were in compost ,and i had read they were edible so why not lol, next bed down is Egyptian walking onions

from there down a good ways is asparagus plants

this was a good day of tilling ,and about two gallons of gas,,this ground has been being improved[compost / horse manure] with growing for several years,, this year was a till to better depth and to weed year so not planted this year

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
How much of your veggies do you grow then? All you can eat? Half? How many square feet do you have under cultivation?
usually i grow more than i stand a chance of eating, or putting away ,,,but i dont buy many veggies or potatoes and besides the work involved the extra i sell most years pays for all the cost plus

well lol i got at least a acre i have tilled and gardened at one time or another, some of its been turned into berry beds and other longer term crops like asparagus or left fallow a year or so ,, and if you include the newer fruit trees [planted this spring] i am doing over a acre

the above plot could pretty well give me enough veg and spuds for a year if i put most of it into root crops and added a few rows of beans ect in there

just a rough guess but given a good year and the help to plant /take care of i think what i got going could feed several people a good percent of their food needs ,might get boring ,,,spuds ,,,beets ,,,carrots and stew type veggies and allow a couple people to hunt /fish to help add protein and flavor to harvest

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 · (Edited)
i wish i knew how to strip the info from google maps so i could show how i got my place set up, part of what i do here is to prep my place so if TSHTF i stand a chance of eating and helping a few people out even if it turns into a long term problem

my other belief is that its sort of a duty to improve the ground you own ,,,not so much for me as for the future owners in a lot of ways , i have planted trees [ Butternuts native 2 zones south of me] that usually do not bear for 15 or so years and only start to really bear after 20+, my chance of getting a crop is slim ,,,but sometime someone might find them and get some good from them

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Have you tried screen shots? That might work when all else fails.

I can relate about the fruit bearing trees. Getting plums to eat has been a many year journey, even though the trees I've planted were supposed to bear in 3-6 years. Garden and learn :)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
in first pic above is row of asparagus and to the left is 3 beds of raspberries

second pic is a few fruit trees that are struggling but still holding on ,,to the right of trees is some asparagus i started in a planter 4 years ago ,,,transplanted at 2 years old,, this is hopefully the bed for asparagus i got in propagation bed given enough plants its planned for 4 100 foot long rows

221 - 240 of 315 Posts