Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
A nice garden

Congrats on the start of a nice garden. 10,000 sq. ft. = a little less than a quarter of an acre, depending on what you plant you should be able to feed your family pretty well. I do hope you had mechanical and human help with the tilling though, whew. I look forward to hearing about your results.
Rnd

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
You tilled 10,000 square feet,,, by hand? I dont know quit what to say,,,.
Pffft! That's nothing. When I was a kid we tilled 20,000 square feet with our bare hands - and that was up hill both ways!

Seriously though - a 1/4 acre garden that's.... ah crap, the Pens just scored against the Sens... that's awesome. Keep us posted.

-Per.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks all

I used a 5 horse tiller from sears, front tine,,funny tho the tilling wasnt quite as rough as digging out the rocks an roots that were spread all over the place,,took about 3 weeks after work in evenings an on weekends,,had to get on my garage to be able to get a pic that showed the area as best as i could

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stareted planting

ok today i planted 3 types of onions ,,,red,yellow an white all were 100 count packs from local store ,,each made a row about 25 feet long...
also planted peas[little marvel dwarf] 2.5 oz pack ,,,made 4 rows 25 feet long
planted 1 row of swiss chard[fordhook giant] 3.9 g pack{only used about half of seeds in pack} 25 foot row
planted 2 rows of cauliflower 1 is hybrid [snow crown ]50 seeds used about half of seeds,,an 1 is heirloom [early snowball a] 810 mg about 1/3 of seeds each are 25 foot rows
planted a row of turnips[purple top white globe] 4g,,as a 3 row bed 22 feet x 1 foot
planted potatoes [unknow type] about 15 lbs ,,from farmer who gave to me to get out of his root cellar,, lol ,,here on known as norton potatoes 1 row 25 feet
all seeds except turnips were planted at thininng spacings [dont see the sense in planting then pulling out ]

·
Registered
638 Posts
Grenades

If I had to do this I would plant lots of grenades and blow it all to hell.

And coming from a person who is against arms... that says a lot.

I hate gardening and the fact that it is a necessary evil.

Thank god my babe loves to garden and I love to eat. We mesh so welll!!:D::D:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
how many tillers did you wear out?

Reactions: wilderness bushman

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: bushmans garden 2010,,,almost 10000 square feet

Thanks all for the post ,,some made me lol
but first i should give credit where its due,,,the tilling was done by a 208cc craftsman front tine tiller ,,cost was just under 300 an worth every penny,,the only problems was it broke about 5 bolts where the post bolts on ,,,after the factory ones broke i just replaced with some i had in garage ...no big deal as far as im concerned...
would buy it again in a sec!!!
the ground was all fallow field with scrub,,,so it had a steady diet of roots an rocks
ok now on to the planting last weekend i planted potatoes 3 types a red,gold an white
35 lbs of each type ,,i forgot to write them down as i bought them so i need to call greenhouse an get types ,,,hope to do in a few days an ill edit post then
reds 35lbs an got 427 feet of row
golds 35 lbs an got 303 feet of row
whites 35 lbs an got 395 feet of row
total 1125 feet of row or as it worked out 15 rows 75 feet
today i planted tomatoes ,,,i know its early for here but im hoping for a early spring an i got a big sheet of plastic to cover with in case of frost
brandywine 17 plants 31 feet of row
red brandywine 15 plants 31 feet of row
yellow pear 12 plants 31 feet of row
roma 21 plants 31 feet of row
the first 3 types are indeterminate so i spaced them a bit more

1 - 20 of 190 Posts