Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Off Grid Wannabe
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the price is great if a bushel is actually 50 pounds but how to store it? I am into canning but out of jars so the cost of the jars to can 50 pounds of potatoes is huge I would guess. Has anyone done 50 pounds How many jars is that? Should I grab this or not they have tons left so I can grab lots of bushels but canning them and storing seems insurmountable.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Try slicing them and dehydrating them. I did a small batch last year, and they turned out good. Just remember to blanch them first or they will turn dark gray. They still taste fine but look nasty. With that amount, you will have to get creative with drying them because it would take forever with a dehydrator.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
depending on the size of your family, 50lbs isn't actually that much. The little bags at the grocery store are 10lbs!

Maybe you could use half in your day to day cooking and dehydrate or can the other half.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I canned around a bushel of potatoes a couple weeks or so back. I got 19 pints, 14 quarts, and 6 half pints out of 45 pounds, I guess that would be around a pint per pound. I think you should store them to eat fresh until they really need to be canned, unless you are buying them just to preserve them. It's nice to have quick potatoes any time you want them, browned, mashed, or in a stew etc. in just a few minutes.

Here's pictures of the ones I canned:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=74866&page=6

·
Registered
282 Posts
dont want to offend anyone but - am just wondering why so many people are canning potatoes?....today at local SuperWalmart a 10 lb bag was $1.40 and in a worst case, SHTF scenario, i think potatoes could be stored very cheaply in a "vegetable clamp" ...the money that spent on electricity, lids, etc is prob worth more than the potatoes in the jar...if its just the calories that folks are trying to store then dried beans, rice, etc are easier to store long term and provide more calories per $$ spent...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts