Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am heading out to the woods for 4 days/3 nights next weekend along with a few friends. This will really be the first trip i have taken in a year that has been longer than a night due to caring for sick family members & being in the first year of my job doesnt give me much time to escape. The trip will be consist of canoeing down a river and staying in the woods about halfway down the float for 3 nights, then finishing the float on the last day. We will be staying in the same location along the river all three nights. The river is secluded, so we will be in the woods away from people, which i very much prefer. This means we will have a primitive camp site that will need to built and set up.

This is kind of where my questions start to come in. My friends and i differ because they are more "campers" and I am the bushcrafting type. I am 23 and just got into bushcrafting seriously last summer. I have improved so much over the last year and consistently work on projects in the woods behind my house. I want to undertake some cool projects while we are just there relaxing, not to showcase my skills, but to hopefully get them interested in the craft as well.

My question is "what are some interesting bushcrafting projects that I can tackle while i am there to keep me busy and to also improve camp?" or "What projects do you like to do once the basics have been taken care of?"

Obviously I will spend a lot of the first day preparing camp with the basics. I plan to build a shelter and make sure that it will hold up well. I also want to build a small shelter to store firewood in to keep it dry incase rain comes. I plan to start a fire, of course, and gather plenty of wood. I am hoping that my friends can handle the tasks of the wood and possibly the fire if i am building. I hope that my friends can maintain the fire throughout the week so that i can work on projects to hopefully spark their interests and to improve my skills.

Any suggestions you have are very welcomed! I also hope to not sound cocky or anything when discussing skills. I still have a longgggg way to go on improving. I am just looking forward to showing them how rewarding bushcrafting can be when practiced and trained because i was exactly like them at this point last year when we took the trip. I am considering the basics like making chairs, tables, and tripods. Any out of the box or more tasking ideas are very welcomed! Thanks!

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
Just off the top of my head..........

Forage for & find a pouch full of natural TINDER & test igniting it.

If you have a hatchet, ax or saw with you?
Forage for, find & make FAT-WOOD tinder sticks.

Try building, using a bow drill to ignite tinder.

If there is water around with fish in it, try out your survival fishing gear.

If you have SNARE gear, set some & see what you get.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Here are two threads I did a while back.
They should keep you busy with plans, ideas, and even some food.

Nessmuking Around,
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=451881&highlight=Nessmuking

Dog's Head Utility
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=447513&highlight=Nessmuking

There are some light instructions in there. But the pictures tell most of what you will need.

Think about what you want to to do, see it in your mind, then make it.

Grab some twine before you go.

Have fun
LV

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Here are three teaser pictures to get you motivated,

Lashing,

Tongs, I highly recommend making yourself a set of these.

Bucksaw,

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
First talk over your plans with your friends. They may be cool with your plans but not where it involves them taking care of the fire ect.. You need to take into consideration their plans and wants for the trip.

Try googling camp gagets/boyscouts and see what comes up. Lashing is involved in a lot of the builts so bring plenty of rope/paracord. Finding and using natural cordage might besomething to look at. If you hadn't done it yet getting together a natural fire kit and practice with it would/should always be the first choice.

·
Only politics *****.
5,682 Posts
First talk over your plans with your friends. They may be cool with your plans but not where it involves them taking care of the fire ect.. You need to take into consideration their plans and wants for the trip.
^ This. While they might well be open to trying some stuff, and we of cource don't know their or your full plans, it might be that they want to hike or just relax without worrying about something like fire or setting up a primitive camp. If they bring a tent and plan on setting up camp late for example, you won't have much time to set up your camp, which will take considerably longer than 10 minutes ;). Just some considerations without knowing the specifics, but which might cause "issues". :)

If they're open to it, and they have little experience, i also wouldn't advise a bow drill or something like that. KISS works, start things small (firestarting with a ferro rod is already a big thing for people who aren't used to it, processing tinder and building a fire well.). A simple lashing, as stated by others before me, can create a lot of usefull things around camp ;) (Just clean up your site and destroy or pack out all the things you make, and spread the materials, so the site remains usable for other people too, if you're on public land).

·
Deplorable and 3%
6,656 Posts
Fashion some primitive weapons. Throwing sticks, an atlatl among other things. Learn to make cordage. You never have enough cordage.

·
Registered
181 Posts
everybody loves a maori-style hungi. plenty of how-to's online, and the food that comes out of them is a real showstopper

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
If a local stream, creek or shallow waterway containing fish is near your camp. Hour or 2 before sunrise (darkness), use a flashlight or lantern & a frog gig to spear sleeping fish. Takes practice, but once you get the hang of it, it can be very productive. I have filled a creel full in less than 1 hour.

·
-
1,485 Posts
Just a few things come to my mind, there are many many things you can do, such as:

Build a Finnish/Swedish candle;

Make a Dakota fire hole;

Dig a bottle trap;

Walk around to id native trees and plants.

·
reluctant sinner
17,913 Posts
Practice how to tread lightly. Use selective thinning to harvest your wood, it improves the chances for the other stuff. Plant more of the local food stuff. Develop water holes. Clean up a camp that someone else trashed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys! I will certainly keep the desires and expectations of my friends in mind. We've done a good number of trips before and i Kind of know what to expect from them. So i will def not put any unwanted burdens or requests on them. They will be staying in tents, I will be the only one building a shelter. That is unless one of them see mine and want to try it:thumb:. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts