Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought of something looking at a YouTube video of "How to make a shelter" where a guy digs a hole. Places a shipping container in the hole, with drainage. Covers the container with steel I-beams and then covers the whole thing with concrete.

Why not do the same thing with an old run down, but waterproof one of these....imagine the storage space with one of those!!!

·
Banned
1,567 Posts
We have members on this forum who have done it. Search forum member "Temu" he has a whole thread about his shipping container that he burried with pics.

·
Who Watches the Watchmen?
7,204 Posts
We have members on this forum who have done it. Search forum member "Temu" he has a whole thread about his shipping container that he burried with pics.
beat me too it!

Temu has one of the best intructionals for making one of those shelters ( not concrete but with wood supports on the outside.)

I have trucks come in all day from the "hucks" and "OST" companies with the all metal super heavy overseas containers from china, sometimes i just want to take one home with me.. :upsidedown:

ohh the fun i would have with my mobile man cave / batcave.

Reactions: temu and Dr.prepper

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,438 Posts
Most people bury these and use them as storm/bomb shelters.
We're supposed to store our bombs in them? :D:

I've always thought trailers would be better than containers. They can be rolled into place without the crane and all the hassle. They don't have the wooden floor to worry about. They're just as cheap, yet larger inside.

I mean they both have to be shored up anyway. Might as well start with the easier, larger unit.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Hey blue why dont you offer something constructive to the thread instead of trolling.
ok,what happens when someone pours a flaming bucket of coal oil down the vent? :)

i am not in favor of underground conex bunkers during teotwawki and especialy during a shtf event.......but as an underground family shelter during a tornado....yes

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
While I haven't reviewed the previous threads on sealand shelters, one thing comes to mind that anyone who is contemplating it should keep in mind.

Those containers are built for tensile and compressive loading on a single axis top to bottom.
They are not designed for shear, torsional or other stresses. Side to Side shear, Octahedral stresses, etc are secondary to the ability of those containers to withstand the weight of other containers on top of them, and the lifting stresses of the dock crane pulling them out of ships, or the rail crane mounting them on a rail car etc.

If your going to use one for a shelter, reinforcement on the Y and Z planes will be required.

Post script: If a bomb does hit, or an earthquake, or anything else that creates a P or S wave in the ground, you could have your "shelter" collapsed on you without that reinforcement.

·
Registered
50 Posts

I've always thought trailers would be better than containers. They can be rolled into place without the crane and all the hassle. They don't have the wooden floor to worry about. They're just as cheap, yet larger inside.

i seen something like this on youtube

·
Registered
50 Posts

I mean they both have to be shored up anyway. Might as well start with the easier, larger unit.
good idea to do this simple

·
Registered
50 Posts
ok,what happens when someone pours a flaming bucket of coal oil down the vent? :)

i am not in favor of underground conex bunkers during teotwawki and especialy during a shtf event.......but as an underground family shelter during a tornado....yes
you plan your vent design around that contingency that's all, but i do like your thinking i never would have thought about pouring burning oil down the vet to gain access to their shelter.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,438 Posts

I wouldn't want one as a SHTF bunker either, but they'd make for great underground storage for foods and such. And an outstanding root cellar. Also, a tornado shelter in areas where that's a worry.

I've never liked the idea of being a sitting duck underground, just waiting for the people up top to figure out how to dig me out. No thanks, I'd rather have a fighting chance.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

Wouldn't that require some douche's post SHTF to actually find the vent? And if they are roaming the countryside then aren't they already probably starving, thirsty and weather beaten? And then they would have to have coal oil on hand? And then actually decide to light it and dump it down the vent for ****s and giggles?

I see the odds as remote. Remote enough that it is worth doing if someone is so inclined and has the means.

Would this thing survive a nuke blast? No, but then again neither will anyone in the area so it really is a moot point. And if you did survive (for a little while before the radiation sickness gets you), you'd probably wish you didn't.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Wouldn't that require some douche's post SHTF to actually find the vent? And if they are roaming the countryside then aren't they already probably starving, thirsty and weather beaten? And then they would have to have coal oil on hand? And then actually decide to light it and dump it down the vent for ****s and giggles?

I see the odds as remote.
around here over the years people have murdered other people and then taken the body out into the desert to bury,to my amazment they always seem to turn up,someone always stumbles across them,now imagine groups of scavengers, armed, roaming the countryside just looking for toilet paper and you get the picture ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts