Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Me and some of my friends have an idea of a underground bunker. We still don't have any ideas how are we going to put it all together, but we know already where are we going to build/dig it. On a hillside. Near a lake. It's on property of one of my friends.

I made a quick sketch-up of what the bunker will/would look like.

The bunker should support up to 6 people for 2-3 months.
I am not experienced in things like making bunkers/underground shelters, so i would like to hear what do you have to say about this idea.
Don't really know what to start with.
but some things are done already(ones i suppose we will need):
* 10x 12v led light source's
* Generator made from 2 car alternators and lawnmower engine + battery bank.
* 6x 100 liter empty barrels (for water).

Sorry for my bad english. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, control room... where are all the electronics, switches located at. Radio, laptop and stuff...
Workshop, well i would like to keep my mind busy if underground for longer periods of time.

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
With enough motivation anything is possible, now how too solve the capital part. There are plenty threads on this subject and much more on the web

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
You do not say what country or area you are in so it depends greatly on your climate and soil conditions..Either way you have to make it as water proof as you can..Study your conditions and go with the best waterproofing...Also have numerous vents and openings....
Also i recommend doing a google search on the "Cu Chi Tunnels"...These were made by the Vietnamese during the VN war...IMO the best tunnel builders ever..

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
Howdy,

Welcome to the forum from Northern California

Interesting idea. Do you have any idea on how many square feet it is?

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's a hell of a venture to partake in, I wish you the best of luck.

However, without knowing your experience with engineering or construction, an underground bunker is quite a 'deep end' to throw yourself in.
If possible, see if you can do a 6 month night class or something at a local tertiary institution on structural engineering basics. Maybe a course on applying technical principles to construction design (this will be about pads and footings etc)

If you have no experience in construction, I'd start above ground and work your way down. Start off by making a semi-submerged bunker (you know the ones, the machine gun positions seen around the Pacific during WWII). Assuming you'll be using reenforced concrete as floor/walls/roof to hold the weight of the soil, there's a lot that can go wrong (you don't want 6 tonnes of cement and re bar coming down on you). It's not a simple case of pouring a slab and placing it on the walls to create a roof, as weight bearing concrete slabs have to be poured differently to, say, a trench footing slab.

All the best though, just research the hell out of it before you pour your 'hard-earned' into it.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
I'd move the kitchen and anything else with a heat source to the back of the facility, away from the only entrance/exit. You don't want to be trapped in a hole with fire between you and the exit.

eta, and another thing. I'd move the storage close to the entrance so you don't have to haul supplies any farther than you have to. Place a weapon up high near the entrance for a "hands in the air" quick grab incase you are being forced into your bunker by a gobblin..

·
Thinking outside the box
764 Posts
Just a thought here but I would keep your stored water, kitchen and bathroom all together using ajoining walls. Otherwise you will be running plumbing lines all over the place. I also believe that you can not enough stored clean water. 600 litres of water between 6 people for 3 months? Thats just a hair bit over one litre per person per day. What about bathing, cooking and first aid?

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,659 Posts
Hi
Me and some of my friends have an idea of a underground bunker. We still don't have any ideas how are we going to put it all together, but we know already where are we going to build/dig it. On a hillside. Near a lake. It's on property of one of my friends.

I made a quick sketch-up of what the bunker will/would look like.

The bunker should support up to 6 people for 2-3 months.
I am not experienced in things like making bunkers/underground shelters, so i would like to hear what do you have to say about this idea.
Don't really know what to start with.
but some things are done already(ones i suppose we will need):
* 10x 12v led light source's
* Generator made from 2 car alternators and lawnmower engine + battery bank.
* 6x 100 liter empty barrels (for water).

Good to see someone else building or at least wanting to build a bunker.
I will never understand why all who say they are survivalists will not build one or at least have the plans to do so if necessary. Excellent and inexpensive plans here > http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm

Good idea to build it on a hillside and near a water source.
With mine I "only" have a couple good springs but they furnish more than enough water.

It would be nice to know the dimensions and square feet of your bunker.

Mine is about 20 feet long by 8 feet wide and averages 9 feet deep.

Your plans look expensive so do you have an idea of the total dollar amount to build it?

And what the building materials will be? Such as mostly concrete?

Mine cost around $2,000, mostly for the 250 eighty pound bags of concrete. Which I had to mix by hand.
I also dug the hole by hand using shovels, a wheelbarrow, buckets, pry bars etc.
You will probably use a backhoe?

Mine is built mostly of logs, 5 inch wide by 8 foot long pine poles, rocks, 3 feet of dirt etc. on the roof, lumber, a few steel beams and 2 steel doors all shown below and in the bunker link also below.

I am sure yours will be much fancier although I doubt any stronger than mine.
The bunker I built has withstood up to 12 feet of very heavy snowpack every year since 1996.

When building in a hillside take into account the pressure from the earth, especially on the uphill side.
I left a 2 foot space on the uphill side which over the years has mostly filled in with earth movement.
The next one I build will have a 6 plus foot space with the water barrels on the uphill side. So that earth movement will go into the water barrel space.

Eventually the hillside pushing down will crush, especially the uphill wall but hopefully not for at least 100 more years.

I have Never taken any classes in learning how to build a bunker, shelter or my survival retreat. I just wanted to build it since I bought my land in 1987 and finally did just do it beginning in July 1995 and am still trying to improve it all.

Will yours truly be a bunker or also a fallout / storm shelter? There is a difference as shown in the quote below.
Mine is all inclusive which I like to call it an underground cabin but it is also a bunker, fallout / storage and storm shelter. I mostly use it for good, secure, locked up and a very strong storage shelter.

Quoted from Benson's "The Survival Retreat" >
"Retreats, for survivalists, are places that provide shelter from hostile people, elements and nuclear, biological and chemical agents. Under some circumstances a retreat could be both a summer home and a bunker.

To a large extent, the concept of a defensible bunker and an NBC shelter is a contradiction in terms. A shelter must be a buttoned-up, closed-in place that will protect the inhabitants from a hostile environment.

A bunker is designed primarily to defend strategic locations from hostile intruders. Obviously one cannot defend his bunker if he has his head pulled down so far he doesn't know what is going on outside."

Mike again. > If people build a bunker then it should have portholes or a way to look out and see what is going on outside. I have a couple "windows" / holes to look / shoot out of.
I also have a homemade periscope that I can raise out of a small hole next to the back trap door.

Here is a link that a few have seen and even liked > Everything about Bunkers thread and where I tell exactly how I built my bunker is here with many pics > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=107463

I know my bunker and retreat are not expensive or fancy but they are located in an excellent survival area with an abundance of wood, wildlife and water. And in a very beautiful and remote area.
Anyone can ask me anything and I will answer, eventually.

It is a permanent shelter since it has survived harsh winters, even up to 12 feet of heavy snowpack, since I mostly finished it in 1996. Always trying to improve it. And have slept and lived in it many days - usually all of October for the past few years.

And for the many who will not even click that link and to fully answer with some pics >>>>

I used the small pole shelter plans from this book: http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm

Digging the hole >

Roof of the bunker showing layers. This roof is made of 3 layers of logs, 5 sheets of plywood, cardboard on top, layer of sawdust, sheets of plastic, layer of newspapers to protect the plastic then layer of dirt, then heavy tarp, more newspapers, much more dirt and rocks, soil on top and I have 4 kinds of grasses, raspberry bushes etc. growing on top >

Showing finished roof with grass on top with a dead tree also for more camo, stovepipe, plywood covered window etc. >

Close-up of concrete roof and stovepipe >

Another view of the roof with tall grasses and possibly everyone can see the electric fence wire across the middle of the pic.
In the upper right quarter of the pic can be seen the dark green metal roof of part of the woodshed
Below the log at the bottom of the pic can be seen the main orange extension cord that runs from the solar panels to the bunker.

Another view of the grass on the roof, the dead tree camoflaging the black stovepipe etc.

Back trap door showing 3 foot thick rock and concrete roof. Took 250 eighty pound bags of concrete mix to make the concrete roof. >

Here is a good view looking down on my private dirt road which this pic was taken only a few feet above my bunker on the hill side. >

Hope all of that helps.

If you, Guncha, or anyone else have any questions just ask me, either in this thread or even in a private message.

As I have said I have had no classes or training but just studied some books, especially this one which has several chapters in the appendix on how to make a good fallout shelter, even a blast shelter > www.oism.org/nwss

The sooner people build a bunker or at Least a storm shelter, the better. I would recommend getting it built by Oct. 2011.
It has taken me years to build what I have built. I have also built several storage sheds as well. But I have to work always alone and with little dollars.

So if I can build a bunker / fallout / storm shelter then almost anyone can. The less dollars the more hard work one has to do by oneself.

So Hope all can build what they need and want before it is too late! :thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im form midle Europe. Latvia.

To know what is going on outside, we are going to use rotating cameras.
6x 100l barrels are how many we got at the moment, but i think more are needed.

Im quite good with working with wood. Can do electronics. Not afraid to get my hands dirty.:D

How good is this idea to use the near lake as the water supply for shower?

Im not sure about the square feet total, but i consider making it in size of average flat, maybe more...

The total amount to build... i suppose around 5000 Ls. Thats around 10,000 USD. (with using some hard artillery - tractor).

The bunker is going to be more for like extreme situations. When some crazy situations take place, there's some place where i could hide.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,659 Posts
Im not sure fire would do any harm to steel doors... But a second exit would be great...
I think a second exit is a must.

One entrance / exit could get blocked somehow and the second one would hopefully be available. All the entrance / exits should be well camoflaged from the outside.

With my bunker I actually have 3 ways of escape. The two steel doors and the window. I could cover the window with sandbags or bags of concrete if necessary. It is nice to have the large break resistant window to let in light and as one more way of escape IF necessary.

If your bunker is completely underground you probably would not want a window. A periscope could be valuable to look up and out of the bunker without exposing yourself.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Latvia has a deep history of oppression from Russia, with which it currently shares a border. If I had 2,000 or 10,000 dollars, I would use it on a ticket to another continent.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Consider the distance from your shelter to your water source, and that it is well above the water table level, or your "dig" may become a swimming pool.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts