Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone use bungy cord.
I've found bungy cord very usefull,You can secure items to your pack like your roll mat or sleeping bag,You can use it on the four corners of your tarp to tie it down instead of para cord and keep thing of the ground by securing them to a tree with it.Multi usege.

Hers a picture of my pack set up for winter,You can see that my sleeping bag is fixed secure with bungy cords.

Attachments

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Bungy cords are great. I keep a bunch in my truck to help secure loads and in my pack to tie down a poncho shelter. The uses are almost unlimited.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bungy cords are great. I keep a bunch in my truck to help secure loads and in my pack to tie down a poncho shelter. The uses are almost unlimited.
more ideas for the use of bungy cord please.:D

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
Just be sure to get quality bungies and not dollar store or cheap ones.
I had one break and pop me in the face. I like the flat strap type.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just be sure to get quality bungies and not dollar store or cheap ones.
I had one break and pop me in the face. I like the flat strap type.
been there done that.

i think the biggest drawback of bungies is that they can wear out. if you are looking at a SHTF situation i would suggest a mix of bungies and another type of tie down strap.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Yep, I use them all the time to hold things like my sleeping bag on the rack on my motorbike.

Also use the on my tent, when it gets REALLY windy, they give and allow the tent to move a little with out tearing.

Reactions: AncientBrit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bungees are great...but

I have always used bungees to hold things down in the back of my jeep or 4runner, when camping our just around the garage to keep things rolled up or in place. Over the last 5 years or so I started to migrate to ratchet straps since they are so much more secure. A bungee cord will not keep a cooler in position on a bumpy trail, but a ratchet strap will.

I recently went on a camping trip to moab. I was loading camping equipment in the back of the 4runner and securing it with bungee cords. I swear I hooked the end in position but when I let go that cord came ripping at my face, cut my lip inside and out and gave me a nice fat lip. That kind of force could have easily taken out my eye. I haven't sworn off bungee cords...they have their place but I have a lot more respect for the energy stored in them that before. I mention this in hope that others wont have the same experience.

Steve

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
A bungee cord can be used as a rifle rest. It can be secured between two small trees so that you have a rest while hunting stationary in heavy brush. That idea might be a stretch(pun intended), but it's worth keeping in mind. :D:

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
A bungee cord can be used as a rifle rest. It can be secured between two small trees so that you have a rest while hunting stationary in heavy brush. That idea might be a stretch(pun intended), but it's worth keeping in mind. :D:
Seems like it'd move too much for me, I like a firm rest, and would rather sit the rifle against a tree.

Sounds great for a small clothes line, could hang my socks away from camp instead of on my tents guy ropes. :thumb:

Reactions: AncientBrit

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If you needed to cook over an open flame and made a basic H style frame over the fire, the traditional S style hooks could be removed from the bungee cord and used to hang a pot (with a handle) over an open fire. :thumb:

·
1,794 Posts
Love 'em! I use many on my ATV. They are quickly installed and hold down gear such as chainsaws, gas cans, propane flamethrower, axes, toolboxes etc. when I motor on into the woods to cut firewood. Other uses I have found for them include wrapping them around a post and gate to form a quick hinge, banding sleeping bags so they stay rolled up, and I even installed a couple on a metal shed door so the tension closes the door automatically. I had the habit of leaving the doors open and the varmints would get in there at night. Last Christmas the wife wanted lights along a split rail fence. Despite the fact that there is no one else around to see our lights, I complied by draping bungies over the rails and hanging the lights on the hooks. Easy to take down too.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
No doubt the tree would be a better brace and that the bungee would give a little bit. That's why I said it would be a stretch. Of course the tree would provide better cover for you in the event that what you were hunting decided to shoot back at you. Just an idea. Might be applicable in some situation.

Here is another one I just thought of. Use the bungee to make a blind. Hook it up between a couple of small trees, then lean branches against it, hang grass over it, or whatever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts