Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy off youtube sent me this message,
Hi
You may not know but bumping the bottem of a magazine while inserted may load a round in to the BCA which in result makes the gun unsafe
Regards
Name Removed
What is he talking about? Am I missing something here???

I thought you were supposed to insert magazine, slap the bottom, slap bolt release and continue firing.

:confused:

·
3/5
528 Posts
How the hell does a round get inserted into the bolt carrier assembly by bumping it (the mag)? And if the bolt is closed, I'll REALLY need that explained to me. If it's open, what, does a loaded round just flop on out and rattle around willy nilly?

If the weapon is really dirty, as in you've seen protracted engagements all day long, put a untold number of rounds down it, I always gave my forward assist a good nudge also.

But, consider the source of the comment. :)

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Never had that happen.....
Maybe I'm not beating the floorplates hard enough? :rolleyes:

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
The reason for hitting the bottom of your mag is to make sure it is seated properly and won't jam. It gets habit forming after awhile.

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
I'm sure hes think of the bolt being locked back and giving the mag a good smack will result in the bolt running forward. (if hit hard enough).

Dude just needs a little more time at the range.

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
The only way I could see a problem with a round coming free when inserting or bumping the magazine, is if the magazine feed lips were seriously messed up.
Peter

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I personally don't slap the magazine. Although this is a popular method that I have seen and been exposed to. What I use and what I was taught was to insert the magazine in an aggressive manner, then pull down to make sure that it was seated. Nothing wrong with slapping it though.

·
3/5
528 Posts
Of course nothing wrong with slapping it, as we beat the holy living hell out of our gear, and the topic at hand never occurred. I've dropped mine with a open bolt and a full mag, off a two story structure; bolt stayed open. (and I caught more sh*t for that, idiots couldn't recall the brief, but they remembered that little move for much longer than I'd have liked them to. Aren't friends great? :) )

·
Registered
350 Posts
He may be confusing an intentional feature which is built into the HK USP, Glocks, and many other pistols which are intended to snap the slide forward and chamber a round when a magazine is intentionally slammed hard into the gun. I've never seen this with an AR as the bolt lock doesn't move easily with just a slap on the mag. Many "tactical" pistols are built with this intentionally as it makes a mag change to fire ready move with the pistol faster. When I'm at the range and moving quickly, I'll slap a mag into my HK and it drops the slide forward just due to the impact which readies the firearm quickly for the first shot out of the new mag.

--Wintermute

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
I can slap my SKS stock to chamber a round, but that's normal. An AR will push the bolt forward if you hit it VERY HARD. Anybody in the MIL knows what it's like to have the bolt slap forward during D&C. PUSH!

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
so let me get this straight...you have to slap the mags to make sure the spring works and the ammo is set?

Does anyone else think this is a quality issue? I mean, I don't have to do this to my 1911 or my ruger 10/22 or my stevens bolt action mag fed 410....

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
My spidey sense says ------- Military training.

The A2 series rifles had major bolt retention issues, pull bolt back secure charging handle and tap the stock on the ground. That snapping noise was the bolt chambering a round (with the muzzle now pointed in your direction). It happens all the time, but mostly when the stock is hit downward, not the magazine upwards into a level rifle.

A real interesting test would be to hold the muzzle skyward and ram home a magazine, see if the bolt releases, if you shoot enough rounds and wear enough parts it will. It technically is a malfunction, but it happens more than a simple problem, and no one really notices it because it only happens when the rifle is muzzle skyward. Who loads an AR with the muzzle up, or drops it loaded bolt back on the stock? LOL

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
That's very interesting...Thanks Survival Helper!

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
... I've dropped mine with a open bolt and a full mag, off a two story structure; bolt stayed open. (and I caught more sh*t for that, idiots couldn't recall the brief, but they remembered that little move for much longer than I'd have liked them to. Aren't friends great? :) )
I smell a post about Marines and someting about not the sharpest tools in the box coming on ....

;):thumb::)

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
I smell a post about Marines and someting about not the sharpest tools in the box coming on ....

Reminds me of the Army problem we had with AT-4 safety pins, soldiers would pull the pin as soon as they hit enemy fire, "just in case" lose the pin and return the weapon to armory without a pin. Not that big a problem until they reinstalled a safety pin at armory and the weapon fired on its own, happened several times. BIG safety directive to replace the pin prior to return to armory, seems that it was safer to shoot one in the open than to shoot one through the armorers chest (it happened).

My real question is who points an AT-4 at their chest when inserting a safety pin on an active "missile". Some people will always amaze me, god rest their souls....

Marines are no dumber than soldiers, we just hide it better :)

·
3/5
528 Posts

They didn't pay us to be smart :p

And on the topic of the AT4, there was a report from another company during Phantom that during house searches, a Marine squad was engaged through a mouse hole, and a stray round struck and ignited the AT4 motor inside the tube , while still on his back, spinning the sh*t out of the Marine on the ground. Burning him in the process.

The idea of having a lit AT4 on my back, doing a good impression of a break dancer just doesn't sound like much fun.

·
3/5
528 Posts
Reminds me of the Army problem we had with AT-4 safety pins, soldiers would pull the pin as soon as they hit enemy fire, "just in case" lose the pin and return the weapon to armory without a pin. Not that big a problem until they reinstalled a safety pin at armory and the weapon fired on its own, happened several times. BIG safety directive to replace the pin prior to return to armory, seems that it was safer to shoot one in the open than to shoot one through the armorers chest (it happened).

My real question is who points an AT-4 at their chest when inserting a safety pin on an active "missile". Some people will always amaze me, god rest their souls....

Marines are no dumber than soldiers, we just hide it better :)
I've always had a love affair with my HEDP, widely known fact. Wasn't a door around it could not unlock. But some guys just should not be allowed to draw ammo for one, let alone be permitted to carry one.

We had one guy, who had a nervous habit of messing with things, he had to always be using his hands. Smoking wasn't enough for him, he had to go and roll a HEDP round off his hand, spinning it along its long axis in the air. Over and over again, for hours. Like it was a football....a few of you already know where this is going don't you? :) What's inside that little bundle of love with the cute dimples? And he's spinning it...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts