Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
That'll be the day...
3,885 Posts
We have had the mildest winter in the Rockies in many, many years. Sure, there's been snow and precipitation, but not those negative temps as in years past to kill all the insects.....

I predict a lot of bugs this summer......

·
Master Mason
2,862 Posts
We have had the mildest winter in the Rockies in many, many years. Sure, there's been snow and precipitation, but not those negative temps as in years past to kill all the insects.....

I predict a lot of bugs this summer......
Same here. No killing frost. Mosquitoes are going to be brutal. I've already stocking up on Deet spray. But I do have several tick keys.

Reactions: scaatylobo

·
Just some dude on the net
2,327 Posts
Yeah we're already getting them crazy bad out where I'm at, so far it's mostly just dog ticks but it's way more then you normally see.

I've been using bug repellant and haven't had any issues but for some reason my wife (Go figure) who is freaked out by them has found two on her so far. We've gotten in the habit of checking for ticks frequently, which seems to help.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
what we are seein around here is a increased number of burrowing ticks, and dang Bot flies. got nailed by a couple down in Panama, didnt expect to see em in South Carolina.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Permethrin is your friend. Ticks do not like it.
I don't know how bad it will be on the AT this summer, but our long trip (130 miles) finishes up our section to the border of VA. Permethrin really is your friend.

We treat all our backpacking clothing and most the gear with Permethrin and really have no problems with ticks I think it's key to get the cuffs, collars and waist bands of your pants/shorts and shirts Socks, gaiters and even our shoes get treated. A good treatment will easily last all summer and is worthwhile insurance.

ROCK6

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I don't know how bad it will be on the AT this summer, but our long trip (130 miles) finishes up our section to the border of VA. Permethrin really is your friend.

We treat all our backpacking clothing and most the gear with Permethrin and really have no problems with ticks I think it's key to get the cuffs, collars and waist bands of your pants/shorts and shirts Socks, gaiters and even our shoes get treated. A good treatment will easily last all summer and is worthwhile insurance.

ROCK6
I have not had problems with ticks or chiggers since I started treating my clothing. I also spray my tent and treat the silk liner I use in my sleeping bag.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Was in the the mountains in Arkansas this past weekend with Old Corp, still chilly in the mountains and very few leaves but I found one on me Saturday night after a walk through the woods.

Pretty early for them to be out at that altitude.
ROFLMAO - I got to say it: I TOLD YOU SO! :D:

·
Bugged out already
4,181 Posts
Ticks are something we don't have to worry about in these parts. Wish I could say the same thing for mosquitos...

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
Where is a good place to get permethrin? I can pick it up in stores in personal spray bottles, camping supply bottle, order it bulk for horses and cattle or get it granular to spread on the yard.

Is it basically the same thing buying in bulk. I'd like to treat the yard, dogs, and camping gear/clothing.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Where is a good place to get permethrin? I can pick it up in stores in personal spray bottles, camping supply bottle, order it bulk for horses and cattle or get it granular to spread on the yard.

Is it basically the same thing buying in bulk. I'd like to treat the yard, dogs, and camping gear/clothing.
I get a 10% solution from Amazon. I dilute it to .5% That is a 1:199 mix. Use rubber gloves, soak clothes for about 90 minutes - wring out excess - hang out to dry (don't use a dryer). Your solution only needs to be 0.5%

https://smile.amazon.com/Martins-Pe...id=1490802719&sr=1-5&keywords=Permethrin&th=1

Do not use the Permethrin that has SFR.

EDIT: That is a 0.05% solution and it has been working for me.

Reactions: doorguy and InOmaha
1 - 20 of 67 Posts