Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
USMC
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else noticing the latest trend in firearms seems to be bullpups? With the Tavor becoming the new hotness it seems as if many people are starting to realize and accept the advantages of bullpups.

Not to mention a lot of newer bullpups these days that have come out in the last 5 years or so, there's the IMI Tavor, Kel-Tec KSG, RFB, RDB, and M43, the Desert Tech MDR, and a bunch more I can't think of right now.

Anyway, do you think bullpups are the way of the future or just a firearm fad?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm not a fan of bullpups. I know there's lots of fanboys out there. So they can buy themselves a Glock and some bullpup with loads of trigger slop. Bullpups answer a specific niche but are not the panacea the witless chasers of scary looking guns seem to believe.

·
Don't mind me...
498 Posts
I like bullpups and shoot a m17s frequently, basically a bullpup AR180 that takes ar15 mags designed in the late 80's early 90's. It has been 100% reliable, the manual of arms isn't too bad to adapt to but the trigger is... well, a bullpup trigger.

My 3 problems with bullpups are the triggers, prices and the chamber right next to my spine and jugular. No way in hell would you catch me testing overpressure loads in a bullpup. The trigger I can deal with. The 2nd one is why I will likely never buy a bullpup, they are a poor value because of how small the market is. $2000 for a RFB or I can buy two PTR or DSA rifles or make a hefty down payment on a scar 17S, HK91 or MR762.
If they were able to produce and market a reliable bullpup for under $800 that uses standard AR15, AK, G3, FAL, glock or 1911 mags I would be happy to hand over my money. I don't see that happening.

Bullpups have been around since the 70's and even now haven't gained significant traction. it's a niche market.
fad or future? I say neither. It's just growing with the gun industry.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Anyone else noticing the latest trend in firearms seems to be bullpups?
nope

Anyway, do you think bullpups are the way of the future or just a firearm fad?
uh, nope and yep, in order...

Whilst I can see some of the advantages of a bullpup design, as far as I can see, their about as popular as 6.5/6.8/.300 blk. Maybe less so.

·
Some guy on the internet
3,311 Posts
Cool toys and that's about it, I haven't been overly impressed with the bullpups I've shot which include a Travor...

I think I'll stick with my rifles and sbr's for the time being, I also have to agree that the price is a deterrent from getting in on one of these platforms, If lower priced I would probably pick one up but for the 2k or so there are much better/useful choices out there

·
Gunner
493 Posts
European armies love the bullpup, but if you were raised on the AR or AK you will dislike them. They are just as dependable as any other battle rifle and just as accurate, the ergonomics are just odd compared to what most people are used to. If you want to run them, then go for it, they sling lead just as good.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
The bullpup comes and goes in firearms design. For a while it's easy to ignore the balance issues with such an arm given how easy it is to get in and out of vehicles with it, but they are not nearly as friendly to shoot as something with a more conventional balance and ergonomic cycle.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Bullpups are not a "new trend" and have been used throughout the world as primary infantry weapons in several nations. The FAMAS, AUG, and SA80 were all adopted by the France, Australia, and the UK in the 70's and 80's. Newer designs such as the P90, FN2000, and TAVOR have been used by various countries as well.

These weapons are good for CQB or urban combat and in the case of 5.56 they provide superior ballistic performance when compared to conventional short barreled rifles such as the M4 and have a shorter OAL. This is good for door to door operations or for mobilized troops when getting in or out of vehicles. I think the TAVOR is probably the most well executed example of a bullpup and demonstrates the strong point of the design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEY1XdQf_JA

As far as bullpups being the future of firearms, well it largely depends on what countries adopt them. The world will follow in the footsteps of Russia, China, and the USA.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
Styer AUG has been around for years, fine weapon, always ment to get one, never got around to it, maybe in tha future. who knows. bullpups aren't a new design, they just make tha rounds. some are decent, some are complicated, some are junk.

·
Knowledge is Power
4,562 Posts
Bullpups are not a "new trend" and have been used throughout the world as primary infantry weapons in several nations. The FAMAS, AUG, and SA80 were all adopted by the France, Australia, and the UK in the 70's and 80's. Newer designs such as the P90, FN2000, and TAVOR have been used by various countries as well.

These weapons are good for CQB or urban combat and in the case of 5.56 they provide superior ballistic performance when compared to conventional short barreled rifles such as the M4 and have a shorter OAL. This is good for door to door operations or for mobilized troops when getting in or out of vehicles. I think the TAVOR is probably the most well executed example of a bullpup and demonstrates the strong point of the design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEY1XdQf_JA

As far as bullpups being the future of firearms, well it largely depends on what countries adopt them. The world will follow in the footsteps of Russia, China, and the USA.
I know for a fact the Chinese naval special warfare at least use a FAMAS copy for virtually every role from entry carbines to squad support.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Not for me, although I have kicked around buying a Tavor for a range toy. After all the time Uncle Sugar invested in me, familiarizing me with the M16 series of weapons, I'm not really willing to learn a new manual of arms for something that feels as foreign as a bullpup. I will say, however, that my buddy's Tavor is just about the same length as my 10.5" Mk18 clone, and he didn't need a tax stamp for his Tavor...

·
Combat marxism Now!
9,315 Posts
I'm OK with them. They fill a need, and do it quite well. For example, a bullpup makes a great "truck gun". You get all the HorsePower in a more compact and significantly shorter package.

·
USMC
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You'll shoot your eye out kid! I think they are cool but as a leftie most would try to throw hot casings in my face. decidedly uncool.
If you look at some of the designs (P90, Kel tec-rfb, rdb, and m43 and others) they don't spit brass in your face.

As far as my opinion, I believe they are the way of the future. Many of the newer bullpup triggers aren't bad like the old ones. The overall length is much better allowing a longer barrel, and as a result a more powerful weapon. I believe they will slowly take over as people realize the advantages and the militaries of the world slowly start converting. The civilians will follow suit.

·
aint afraid of no ghost
2,388 Posts
I personally enjoy bullpup's but I can see how they would be a turn off for others. If you can get used to mushy striker pistol triggers the trigger on them s not that much different.
Would a bullpup be the first rifle I grab
? Probably not that goes to a shotgun. ( living in the country I am always having to take care of critters out in the barns)
Will militarys and police forces switch to them? I see a lot of resistance to that in the west (North America) But euro forces seem to be switching to them.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
like it was said earlier the bullpup fad comes and gos with americans. maybe in a country where firearm ownership is so restricted some people never have a chance to fire one until they are in the military its no big deal. in america many people are raised with non bullpup rifles and are more comfortable with the "standard" design. even the us military tested a bullpup in the wwll era but decided against it. for military and swat style use i can see the need but for civilians its more of a "getting the newest toy" idea.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.