Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
American fearmaker
14,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who are stocking supplies, also remember to collect and save bullion cubes. You can get a small bottle that holds 25 bullion cubes. The cubes come in chicken or beef flavor. Here's two ways to use the cubes:

1. Fill a canteen cup with water and bring the water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, drop in a bullion cube. Let the cube dissolve and stir the cube's contents around in the water. Get the water and cube well mixed and then proceed to drink down the contents of the canteen cup. This use of the cube gives the user a warm drink with some nutrients in it to offset hunger. I would not do this more than once or twice a day. Using a cube like this would be for emergency food supplementing when nothing else was available.

2. If you stray across small wild game, like a squirrel or rabbit, cook that game. Break that game into pieces and mix the pieces into a canteen cup of boiling water. Drop in a bullion cube into water/cooked animal mixture to augment the meat. Stir the water, cube and meat mixture until the cube is fully dissolved. Using a cube like this allows you to conserve a small amount of meat which you can use several times like this. If you do it right, you can get 4 to 8 meals out of a lone squirrel depending on various factors.

Beef cubes can be used with deer, squirrels, rabbits and so on. Chicken flavored cubes can augment small birds that you come across for eating.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Bullion cubes are one of the items I keep in my food sack. along with other spices. Chicken and Beef being my two favorites. I also keep any extra packets of seasoning from Ramen packs that I didn't use. This is same as bullion cubes, but I find gives more flavore. Though very salty at times.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have looked around in the different stores that now stock Mexican brand foods.

There are bullion cubes that are ham flavor. These were in Wal Mart.

Publix market had vegetable cubes, too.
Anything like this is a great addition to the food stocks.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
One item I picked up just the other day from a health food store is a powder of many different vegitables and fruits. A small spoon full of this added to 8-12 oz of water not only tastes great, it is great for your body while backpacking. Only problem is the stuff is pretty expensive, most jars going for 40-50 USD. Below is a link to one brand.

http://www.optimalhealthsystems.com/FruitAndVeggieAd/WebsiteBackground.jpg

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I have looked around in the different stores that now stock Mexican brand foods.

There are bullion cubes that are ham flavor. These were in Wal Mart.

Publix market had vegetable cubes, too.
Anything like this is a great addition to the food stocks.
Thanks for the heads-up on the ham cubes! I have been using the beef & chicken to enhance the flavor in ramen noodles!

:thumb:

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Razor there's a cube you can get without all the salt?!?! I know what you mean, that's one thing I hate about the bullion cube is all the sodium (not a bad thing if you are in the desert and need salt due to loss from sweating).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't for get the Vietmanese or other Asian stores they have Vietmanese bullion cubes they are PHO type soup flavor's, try you may like it's something difffrent other then just the same beef or chicken flavor bullion.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
I wish they lasted longer.

I get them in a container of 75. Nothing beats a mug of chicken stock when you have a cold.

The book in the picture is a big help with recipes for backpackers which uses the cubes for their ability to pack a lot of flavor in a small light weight package.

Reactions: rridgeoutlaw

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Dude...where did you get that HUGE container of boullion cubes? What did ya give for it?

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Especially chicken stock cubes go with me. I mean, when I'm outside this is basically my only source of salt so I don't see much harm. They add flavor and some fat. If I'm poor I'd rather cook some rice in stock than just eat the boring rice. I'm usually not your online spell check but it's called bouillon cube. :)

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Dude...where did you get that HUGE container of boullion cubes? What did ya give for it?
I got it at BJ's. Tough to remember the price... I wouldn't have paid more than $13 for it though.

·
American fearmaker
14,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speed, you are right. I did misspell the word BUT my point was made and communications established. The key thing with me is communication with other people. I'll take the ding for bad spelling as long as I was right and able to help somebody else.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
:)
It was more the odd thing that most people kept misspelling!

I actually wondered what the word was, it didn't look like something I ever seen before. But then again, I'm not too smart. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts