Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kevlar isnt all that hard to come by either
I completely Agree!! :) But I'm just posting to ask if it would be possible to make at home. Also a little worried that body armor may be illegalized someday and thought it might be a good thing to know how to make, just in case:thumb:. As stated on the following site:

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Quick_Answers.shtml

"Residents of Connecticut are prohibited from buying Body Armor unless the sale is face to face (or unless the buyer is a police officer, Police Department, or military). We can't ship to Connecticut, or even accept credit cards billed there... Some states are considering new legislation to prohibit or restrict sales of Body Armor to civilians, e.g., New York. If you are in a state that passes such a law, you would be well advised to make your Body Armor purchase now before it becomes much more expensive and inconvenient, if not prohibited altogether."

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, another trick to adding ballistic impact dispersal, if using something other than kevlar, or even with kevlar, is a neutonian suspension. You take your cloth layers, soak them in a relatively thin mixture of cornstarch and water, and seal them in a water tight bag. The cornstarch molecules are oblong, and when sharply impacted, become as hard as concrete. This is actually employed in some professional body armors. Before impact, and after impact, these pads are soft and pliable.

Its the same principle (and chemistry) as silly putty.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
The silk has been around for a long time, and some weaves of it were used in Japan, and were even pretty good protection against that extremely powerful Zen bow that was used in their little differences of opinion. I agree that inclusion of some hard items like quartz gravel to get the bullet to tip has merit, and ought to let it defeat carbine rounds. Use of a trauma plate, even if it was plain steel, behind such a vest ought to give a man a decent chance against a rifle hit from a full caliber round like the .308. All things considered, it looks good....

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
even if it doesnt punch a hole through you your still going to be absorbing all the bullets energy wich prol will break ribs and can kill you and I wouldnt trust a silk whatever or anything other than a serious vest with plates against a rifle

·
Registered
94 Posts
i dont even trust a serious vest with plates, as the plates cover very little, and are made to take rounds perpendicular to the apex of the plate... IE, you have to square up all bowlegged and stupid like for them to even be effective, which is to make yourself the easiest possible target. Anyone who has done any close quarters firing drills in an interceptor vest will tell you how unnatural this is. And yet, it is the standard.

The best defense against bullets is to avoid being shot at, and to avoid being an easy target if you are shot at. However, I think the topic is on fashioning ballistic armor in the absence of conventional (stupid) body armor. If the armor slows the bullet down enough that it doesnt blow a 3 inch wide hole in your chest, and you dont die instantly... then it has served to atleast prolong your life long enough for you to be treated, which is better than nothing.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
As I recall, the Mongols wore many layers of silk shirts to stop arrows. But kevlar still looks better to me
they did but last I checked an arrow has alot less energy in it than a bullet

and the way the silk worked to my understanding was not to prevent the arrow penetrating but when it did to go with it and slow it down an because it went withthe arrow and around the head it could be pulled out without the barbs digging in

goin from memory here so could be off

·
Registered
94 Posts
with enough layers of fabric, you could stop a freight train, a cannon ball, whatever. And it doesnt really matter what kind of fabric. Kevlar is good because its kindof hard to sheer, and you dont have to use that much of it. Silk is good because it has high tensile strength.

Comparing an arrow to a bullet is not an honest comparison. A steel broadhead would probably go through more layers of kevlar, fired from a recurve bow, than a .357 round. Why? Arrows defeat the main advantage of fabric armor, because they cut. Firing a ball round at the same fabric would have a very different outcome.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
with enough layers of fabric, you could stop a freight train, a cannon ball, whatever. And it doesnt really matter what kind of fabric. Kevlar is good because its kindof hard to sheer, and you dont have to use that much of it. Silk is good because it has high tensile strength.

Comparing an arrow to a bullet is not an honest comparison. A steel broadhead would probably go through more layers of kevlar, fired from a recurve bow, than a .357 round. Why? Arrows defeat the main advantage of fabric armor, because they cut. Firing a ball round at the same fabric would have a very different outcome.
depends on the type of arrow head there many like bodkins wich do not

and the silk was not the mongols only protection it was worn under the armor to limit the penetration into the body and facilitate it being removed from the would cleanly

abd yes you can build a fabric suit to stop a cannon but you also have to balance mobility with protection not going to do much good in a fight if your movement is impeded with 200lbs of armour

Reactions: Optimist

·
Banned
166 Posts
sounds great to be homemade. What is the do-ability/price/reliability of something like this? if it's relatively easy, cheap, and works (at least to an extent), I would definitely give it a try! sorry if this question was answered, but the link wouldn't work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.