Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to pick your brains about sources for bulk medical supplies, online is better. To date, I have raided the Walmart bins and dollar stores for topical, rubbing / isopropal alcohol, lots of triple antibiotic tubes, etc. Decent start but that's it, starting blocks. Much further along on water, food and security and bol. This has been the orphan, the "gotta get this first" thing, and brorher, isn't that a long list! Your suggestions and clues would be gratefully accepted and appreciated. BIF, downloaded a couple med books online that I've been studying and using to make a couple application based references. Don't worry, getting each page and diagram laminated for easy cleaning, as advised! Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Years ago and asked some St John's Ambulance People where they got their kits from and they gave me a name. Can't think of it off hand. Check out with your local groups and you can track down the wholesaler that way.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine, who taught prepping, passed away. His wife had a massive yard sale. They gave me almost a full garbage bags of gauze rolls and badge materials. Told them I would distribute to the local families. One of those rolls is about $4 retail, so was a pretty generous gift. The families were really appreciative of the supplies for their first aid kits.

You can also check with you local Pharmacies. When people die, things are often sent to the pharmacies for disposal. Have an arrangement with one of them and they save the stuff "they are permitted to" for me. So far got some bandage material and a whole whack of IV stuff, which I passed on to my naturopath doctor friend. Also got a whole bunch of oxygen tubes. The ones with the nose prongs. Gave these to a religious community nearby that has its own infirmary/ old age home and has some folks on oxygen.

Also check out liquidation places. They will often self the $1 dollar store items for half price.

·
reluctant sinner
17,912 Posts
Try the vet supply places - loss leader sale items.

I bought some cheap band aids at the $store. After a few years in the med cabinet the wrappers separated. I bought real ones on Amazon at a good price by watching for specials. The little alcohol wipes dry up after a few years, so check your stock every once in a while.

I bought most of my carbide jaw needle holders and hemostats on ebay or Amazon - very handy for sewing gear. I got a Army field surgery kit from one of the catalog mail order gear supply places. You need to shop and check prices - google the item with 'best deal on "it" '

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,669 Posts
Ditto all the above. :thumb:

Dollar store, big thumbs up but other than bandages (not the sticky kind), alcohol and antiseptic stuff, the quality on those off-brand bandaids is spotty. Still a step in the right direction.

When I go through and replace the out of date stuff, that goes into my 'giveaway' pile like out of date foods do (to a point, LOL) I figure if the worst comes, something that's out of date but still good is still a plus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Befriend an ER nurse or MD. Or see if you know anyone who might be friends with one. Often times, the kits they use for traumas and other urgent procedures, are barely touched - but must be discarded once opened. A central line kit, for example, contains syringes, scalpels, numbing meds, sutures, tubing, and the like. Often, in the rush to get just one item, a kit is opened, and then set aside to be discarded.

My wife is an ER MD and she casually takes those kits before housekeeping can dispose of them. I have an entire closet filled with enough material to support a MASH unit for year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
An incredible amount of medical supplies can be obtained at huge discounts that is nearing its expiration date. Scalpels, suture needles, syringes, bandage materials... once the date elapses, these items cannot be used within the medical field, but these hard-items don't go bad. I've stocked our preps with an embarrassing amount of gear, for but pennies on the dollar of its true value. shopmedvet.com is one source for these items.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vet supply places can be awesome! I used them to stalk up our first aid kids as well as for a few friends. I work in the field though and get it through the clinic. So I'm not sure how willing whoalsalers are to sell to others.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I stock up on pads/gauze/dressings from my local dollar store and Walmart - so far I have 2 watertight bins full. I figure that since you're supposed to change the dressing on any wounds daily, those types of supplies will go fast after SHTF.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am a firm believer in colloidal silver. I make my own for pennies. Can be sprayed on a boo boo to prevent infection. Can drink to kill bacteria and viruses. Can use as a disinfectant on counter tops, in the laundry to kill germs. A little goes a long way. I bought two pure silver wires for a hundred dollars a few years ago. Now my only expense is 9v batteries and distilled water to make a gallon of it. We have used it for years. The thing is not to listen to the government trolls that talk bad about it. They use it on the space station!

·
Registered
247 Posts
For bulk simple things, I've actually made good use of Amazon.com. I typically buy bulk boxes of single-dose packets of OTC medications there, plus basic bandages, dressing, and wraps. For anything more specialized, I end up buying a lot of stuff from Rescue Essentials and some stuff direct from North American Rescue. NAR had a good deal on an "Officer's response kit" that include a new CAT TQ, QuickClot Combat Gauze, and regular Z-Fold Gauze for $10 more than what the Combat Gauze sells for on its own, plus there's 0 risk of conterfeit TQ's when it's direct from the manufacturer...

Lastly, for some hard items, I'm willing to hit up eBay to build up a kit. Last year I put together an Army WALK bag thanks to eBay. Still had almost everything in it with about 2 more years before expiration on it and the packaging still appeared good and sterile for all of about $180. The litter itself sells for that much. I've only had to replace gloves, tape, a marker, and the tie-down straps that hold the litter securely to the bed of a truck [or HMMWV], which set me back all of about $30. In two years, I'll have to replace the NAR ARS needles, the nasopharyngeal airways, the sterile dressings, and the chest seals. That'll set me back about another $75, but will have that kit standby-ready for another 8 years or so... I'll continue to return to eBay for things like the actual medical bags and pouches I buy, then fit them with supplies from Amazon, NAR, and Rescue Essentials.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
I am a firm believer in colloidal silver. I make my own for pennies. Can be sprayed on a boo boo to prevent infection. Can drink to kill bacteria and viruses. Can use as a disinfectant on counter tops, in the laundry to kill germs. A little goes a long way. I bought two pure silver wires for a hundred dollars a few years ago. Now my only expense is 9v batteries and distilled water to make a gallon of it. We have used it for years. The thing is not to listen to the government trolls that talk bad about it. They use it on the space station!
Because silver is bacteriostatic, not bacteriacidal. Anyone trained in a bit of organic biochemistry knows this.

It isn't a comfortable place for bacteria to grow, but it doesn't kill bacteria.

It's akin to moving a plant indoors for the winter. Everything slows but unless you leave it in that position for an extremely long time for it to die of natural causes then it will spring back to growth mode as soon as conditions for growth improve again.

You are probably getting more cleaning and infection prevention from the distilled water than anything the silver is doing.

Colloidal silver is about as useful as homeopathy treatments, namely just water with a huge price tag.

The only reason it isn't outlawed is because the old food and drug laws were not designed to protect you from treatments that accomplish nothing. In fact, that aspect was specifically permitted so the government could get enough congressional votes to pass laws against treatments that were actively dangerous. They made a deal with a senator who owned a series of homeopathy shops and he managed to get the rest of the votes needed to pass the laws against dangerous products. So you are free to buy any useless treatment you can get your hands on. But the law doesn't prohibit the medical professionals from calling you an idiot for wasting your money high dollar water, inert material, and placebos.

·
Longbowman
Yes
4,961 Posts
Also check out liquidation places. They will often self the $1 dollar store items for half price.
^This.

I buy alot of my medical supplies at dollar stores. They are the exact same items that other companies sell (Elastoplast, etc.), just in different packaging & they sell for alot less than the other companies charge.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Almost every city out there has a First Aid supply store; these are places that industries with first aid requirements acquire and replace their FAK and FA Rooms from.

Go in with a hand written list and tell them you just got put in charge of your small business' First Aid room (make up one if you want). Tell them it is a mess and needs almost everything. Make a point of even buying some first aid report forms. Go back same day next week with a few items "you forgot". Make a big deal how the last guy was a total douche for leaving you with such a mess to straighten out.

Instant cover. I have used this method many times. this way, even if they remember you, it is for a false tale.

Reactions: dealfinder500

·
Banned
5,016 Posts
We order from Bound Tree medical for our stuff here at work. I am not sure if the prices are good or not.

www.boundtree.com
No boundtree is NOT value priced. see buyemp.com

Tacmedsolutions.com You can negotiate a 25% discount if buying in some volume. I order about $250 when I started teaching bleedingcontrol class.

They have the by far the best tourniquet on the market (the CAT is a poor sub).

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
No boundtree is NOT value priced. see buyemp.com

Tacmedsolutions.com You can negotiate a 25% discount if buying in some volume. I order about $250 when I started teaching bleedingcontrol class.

They have the by far the best tourniquet on the market (the CAT is a poor sub).
This is a poor tourniquet? https://www.lapolicegear.com/nar-cat-tourniquet.html Can you explain why its poor?:confused:

So this is better then the CAT? https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/SOF-Tactical-Tourniquet-Wide

1 - 20 of 30 Posts