Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to obtain inexpensive bulk grains? Does flour store as well as raw grains?

Thanks.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Flour doesn't store as ell as wheat berries. Inexpensive? I prefer to buy quality preps, but some people get grain meant for animal feed. Just make sure that it isn't treated with anything.

The LDS online store might be a good place for you to check out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I get red wheat from my local feed and grain for $11/50 lb. It is actually organicy grown but not organic certified and its locally grown. it comes in a plain brown paper bag, just because it is cheap dosent mean it is not good quailty. I'm not paying for fancy packaging, long distance transprtation or any marketing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Only difference between feed grain & "people grain" is that food grade grain is washed 3 times while feed grain is washed twice. Feed store is a great place to stock up! Get the buckets at home depot, mylar bags & oxy absorbers at http://www.shopsimplerliving.com/ & your set. Or if you want to buy them prepacked & food grade go to Sam's Club or Costco online.. some walmarts.. or if that won't do it then http://beprepared.com/

·
Registered
205 Posts
I buy from the local farmer's co-op. It comes in 50 lb bags and costs about $14. It is the same wheat berries used by Dollywood, so I feel very confident about it's safety!

I've also ordered online from LDS before I moved to this area.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
Mitch, Since you don't list what area of the country you live, it is kinda hard to tell you where to get inexpensive grain. As others have said, Co-ops or feed stores are a good place to look. I have about 3700 lbs. of grain so far, hard white wheat, hard red wheat, oat groats, spelt, barley, rye, triticale, and buckwheat. I get mine from a grain wholesaler about 90 miles from here. Others like Forestbeekeeper get it right from the farmers, as he has told us. You just have to check around, do an internet search for grain sales. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts