Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just a question for the preppers, what do you consider as an amount meeting the term "bulk", 5 pounds? 25? 50?

And I all ready know I will need buckets and O2 absorbers. But I have been looking for some place here in California, (to save on shipping cost), to purchase my bulk food. Mainly looking for Grains, Beans, Oats, Pasta, Salt, and Sugars.

I tried the local Mormon church numbers but was told "At this time our cannery is only open to members" so buying bulk amounts from them is out. I also spoke with a friend of mine who is a LDS member that they too are finding some of there shipments have been delayed or "Not available at this time".

Is anyone one else finding this in your area's?

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
Ok just a question for the preppers, what do you consider as an amount meeting the term "bulk", 5 pounds? 25? 50?
Well each item is different but if you consider enough of a product to fill one 5 gallon bucket then usually your talking somewhere between 20 and 50 lbs. Flour for example would be in the neighborhood of 50 lbs for 5 gallons while kidney beans would be closer to 20 lbs.

Now as it relates to pricing. The larger the packaging the better the per unit price. So if you can find a 25lb bag of wheat and a 50lb bag of wheat chances are the later would be cheaper than two of the former.

I buy a decent amount of my bulk food from Sam's Club.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
'Bulk' generally means something above the usual packaging size. Five pound sacks of flour are not 'bulk', as that's one of the standard packages for flour, as are ten pound sacks. However, you start in on a 25 pound bag, and unless you are a commercial baker, you're lookin' at bulk.

·
Fire Fighter
1,084 Posts
We buy in bulk for our comercial bakery at home. A typical order is around 800-1200 lbs of assorted flours and other things. Prices have been going up over the years but all we do is make a call to the place who sells it in Seattle and a delivery truck charges us around $40.00 to bring it to our town and I pick up the pallet of goodies 12 miles from our home. Bulk is in 50 lb sacks normaly. Mark

·
Standing Vigilant
504 Posts
I have purchased a large portion of my "bulk" food items
from Sam's and Costco.

25-50lb bags of rice and beans..even a 100lb bag of pintos
20lb sacks of salt or sugar etc...

In fact I have purchased many multiples of these items over the years.
You'd be surprised how few buckets you get out of a 25lb bag of pintos or
even rice.

So, for most, I would think Costco and Sam's are both good outlets to
purchase in "bulk". You should have at least one of these within driving
distance from your home.

Good Luck!

Doginit

·
Registered
206 Posts
I can't find bulk wheat anywhere (and I've contacted dozens of places) within reasonable proximity to Memphis, but I don't have a Sam's Card, so I have not checked there. Do they usually have bulk wheat? And if yes, how is it priced?

I have been considering taking my trailer on a roadtrip and coming home with a year's supply of wheat. But it would be nice to be able to get it gradually somewhere around Memphis.

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
I can't find bulk wheat anywhere (and I've contacted dozens of places) within reasonable proximity to Memphis, but I don't have a Sam's Card, so I have not checked there. Do they usually have bulk wheat? And if yes, how is it priced?
The Sams near me does not sell wheat. It does sell flour of various types.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts

I have been considering taking my trailer on a roadtrip and coming home with a year's supply of wheat. But it would be nice to be able to get it gradually somewhere around Memphis.

Google long term food storage - some places will come up that will have bulk wheat

·
Registered
206 Posts
Google long term food storage - some places will come up that will have bulk wheat
I've done that kind of thing repeatedly and most of the places that come up are long out of business. The closest place I've found is 290 miles away. I've talked to grain elevators in my area and have been told the FDA prevents them from selling to the public in bulk. One said it was "illegal" while another said they used to but it's now "against federal regulations." It's crazy.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,429 Posts
Try the local health food store. My wife works at one and they special order bulk.

No shipping costs, it's added to their regular shipment.

The employee discount is hepful too

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
My local walmart supercenter has a small bulk food section. It's only about a 1/5 of an isle.

They got the huge cans of starkist tuna, large jar of mayo, and gallon jugs of hot sauce right next to eachother. Leathal combo

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
I've done that kind of thing repeatedly and most of the places that come up are long out of business. The closest place I've found is 290 miles away. I've talked to grain elevators in my area and have been told the FDA prevents them from selling to the public in bulk. One said it was "illegal" while another said they used to but it's now "against federal regulations." It's crazy.
Should have some in TN - try the phone book for local county agent under govt. phone numbers. Also wheat is planted this time of the year - don't know how much you are into farming, but best discribed as looking like very green grass growing in the field. Stop and ask farmer where he sells his wheat. Stop by a country store and inquire - always some farmers around. Call a fertilizer company in the area - they will know - someone big like USS, Southern States, or Royster.

If you are looking for bags of wheat someone like LDS, usservivalfoods, emergencyessentials.com - any of these places has it

Try this http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=long+term+storage+grain&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try this site:

http://www.azurestandard.com/index.php

This outfit, located in Oregon, sells organic and chemical free foods of all kinds.
There is a minimuim order ($500) with this outfit but they deliver free to several drop points from the west coast to Colorado. They probably have one near you where you can pick up your product. If I don't need their minimum it's never a problem to get a few neighbors to add to my order.
I put in an order about twice a year, have it delivered free to the barge in Seattle , then I pay $47.00 to have it shipped up here to Alaska. I don't have the luxury of discount stores and with bread at $4.70, eggs @ $3.29 and milk @ $6.00 there is no way I can afford to shop in town. I don't know if this is the cheapest place to buy bulk food but I sure do like their product and customer service, been using them for years. I warn you tho, they have EVERYTHING - it takes me days & days to fill in an order. Then I have to go through it and delete the "wants" from the "needs".!
If this site looks good to you and you need help figuring out what's best, let me know and I'll tell you my favorites.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,269 Posts

I have a lot of trouble with wheat too. In some areas it's available and in some it isn't. Sam's doesn't have it from what their website shows.

I ordered the majority of mine through Walton Feed in sacks. Once you get into hundredweight shipping (200 lbs or more, in 100 lb increments) it costs less to ship. It's still too expensive that way.

If you have any health food stores in your area. You might ask if they can order it for you. They usually get it in 50 lb bags and will cut you quite a discount for buying by the bag. It's still not as cheap that way, but for some of us, it's one of the few options.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,608 Posts
I don't know the size of your family or your food preferences, but last year I purchased 12 super pails of wheat, 8 pails of rolled oats, dry milk and freeze dried veggis and fruit, and enough rice and beans to fill 4 pails each.

I bought nearly all of this from Walton Foods in Montpelier, Id.

My shipment was ordered by a bulk food COOP, and shipped via semi along 20 other orders. Part of participating in the bulk order was to help unload.

The local Mormons created and run the COOP, but it is separate from their canneries and their Bishops storehouse.

The way things are going, I plan to buy a similar amount this spring.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
I buy some of my stuff from farmers co op. Its like group buying.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Go to the local feed stores and see what they have for cleaned wheat or other grains...or what they can order for you. It is still the same kind of wheat you find anywhere else and would be cheaper than other places.

·
Registered
678 Posts
there is also Honeyville grains. Not the cheapest, but they are fast and shipping is low.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/

Emergency essentials will sell you already packed pails. For me, the prices of the beans, packed, is a little lower then my grocery store prices.

BePrepared.com look for the superpails

Reactions: Hossmiester

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK thanks folks for these great ideas and links! I think then maybe COSTCO is where I may do 80% of my bulk buying. Pasta though may have to be done elsewhere. I will be checking out my local Equine Feed Store for the wheat and oats part. Please folks feel free to add to this Post. Any and ALL ideas are wonderful.

Oh and a MERRY CHRISTMAS to all! (Even if you don't celebrate)
Hoss

1 - 20 of 40 Posts