Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Russian Ak is the best :) ALOT of money for "true to spec" AK. Some claim Saiga is close, its made in Russia but it aint anywhere near true spec, their forces use it, but they use near anything. True Bulgarian? Good luck, most on the market are pieced together import kits. Check who makes it, not who imports the kits. Century has been rebranding their "Bulgarian Frankensteins" into rifles for other wholesalers. I would expect a reasonable Bulgy complete and true to bring in excess of 900 bucks this day and age. A true kit is probably near 300 bucks, maybe more.

Personally, a tuned wasr is more than enough, so far as it isnt a piece of crap.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Not just any Bulgarian, but the older ARSENALS with milled recievers are considered among the finest AK's around. But they're not easily found and cost a mint if you do. The AK that has long been considered the "Cadillac of AK's" is the Chinese Polytec,again, the older ones with the milled reciever, but they also are not that common and cost a mint,too.
There are lots of solid, well made AKs around. Some of the Chinese, Hungarians,Yugo, Romanian G models, are great guns. Even the humble Romy WASR can be a decent gun, after fixing the canted sights and refinishing the wood.
And sure, original Russians are great, but try and find one. I've never even seen one.
But for the money, these days, you just can't beat the Saiga. Made in the same plant in Russia as their other AKs, with all Rusky parts ( no US receiver,etc.) and with a new chrome lined barrel. Amost all AKs you'll see in the states are built from used kits,with American recievers ( and often other parts) the Saigas are brand new, and all Russian. They're also according to most reports,among the most accurate AK's.
P.S. That Saiga in the gunbroker as has a Tapco folding stock, cheap, flimsy, and easily broken. If you like the looks of this faux-Galil stock, then check out the ACE stocks,instead.

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
Agreed, I can really kick myself for selling my Bulgarian ARSENAL.

I bought it for under $400 new and sold it for the same amount after I shot the heck out of it. That was over 8 years ago.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Russian Ak is the best :) ALOT of money for "true to spec" AK. Some claim Saiga is close, its made in Russia but it aint anywhere near true spec, their forces use it, but they use near anything. True Bulgarian? Good luck, most on the market are pieced together import kits. Check who makes it, not who imports the kits. Century has been rebranding their "Bulgarian Frankensteins" into rifles for other wholesalers. I would expect a reasonable Bulgy complete and true to bring in excess of 900 bucks this day and age. A true kit is probably near 300 bucks, maybe more.

Personally, a tuned wasr is more than enough, so far as it isnt a piece of crap.
Unmolested Russian AK's may be the most expensive, but that's not the same as being "the best". They're simply more rare and unique. Plenty of fine AK-pattern rifles were manufactured in other countries.

Saigas are manufactured at the Izhmash factory. Why is it that you believe them to be somehow out of spec? Besides the relocated fire control group and the lack of a muzzle device, what significant mechanical difference/deficiency do you see?

Saigas are fine rifles. If, however, you're looking for a SHTF rifle, I'd steer clear of the .308. The ridiculous price of that particular rifle notwithstanding, the .308's don't offer cheap, easily found full capacity magazines, and the round itself has become incredibly expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Unmolested Russian AK's may be the most expensive, but that's not the same as being "the best". They're simply more rare and unique. Plenty of fine AK-pattern rifles were manufactured in other countries.

Saigas are manufactured at the Izhmash factory. Why is it that you believe them to be somehow out of spec? Besides the relocated fire control group and the lack of a muzzle device, what significant mechanical difference/deficiency do you see?

Saigas are fine rifles. If, however, you're looking for a SHTF rifle, I'd steer clear of the .308. The ridiculous price of that particular rifle notwithstanding, the .308's don't offer cheap, easily found full capacity magazines, and the round itself has become incredibly expensive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-47
Have a read through the history of the weapon, the process of manufacture and the mis-information that is spread by the internet. It is a WIKI link so take it with a grain of salt.

Its one of those things that is close to the original, but just isn't one.

The OP asked for the best AK, my opinion followed closely by facts is that the only AK to ever be deemed the best was the true and original one, or one of its original variants. Thats not a Saiga, nor any unlicensed copy from another country.

I do have a WASR, it isnt even an "AK" not even close, but its dead on, reliable as heck, tough as nails, and current copy parts fit it. It was dirt cheap, parts are simple and the thing just works. Would I recommend one as a real AK? Not any more than I would a Saiga.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Have a read through the history of the weapon, the process of manufacture and the mis-information that is spread by the internet. It is a WIKI link so take it with a grain of salt.

The OP asked for the best AK, my opinion followed closely by facts is that the only AK to ever be deemed the best was the true and original one, or one of its original variants. Thats not a Saiga, nor any unlicensed copy from another country.

I do have a WASR, it isnt even an "AK" not even close, but its dead on, reliable as heck, tough as nails, and current copy parts fit it. It was dirt cheap, parts are simple and the thing just works. Would I recommend one as a real AK? Not any more than I would a Saiga.
How TF is a WASR Not an AK??????????

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i wouldnt get a slaped together import unless thats all you can afford. saigas are reasonably good. as far as AK's go i prefer mak90 ,mak91,vepr,or nhm91. they are all from the preband area but you still can find new unfired ones those arnt slaped together from an importer they come straight from the manufactorer.

here is a list of almost all the AK's out there with a write up on each this might help you decide

http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/index.html

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
poly tech AKs (fully milled, threaded) from Bejing seem to be the best, Bulgarian and Russian maybe second

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
Cheap good ak= Maadi
Good AK= Hung(ak not AMD), Poly, Yugo...
Great AK= Norinco, Bulg, Real Soviet...

After countless thousands of rounds through Countless AK's this is where I stand.
I have heated Full auto AK's to the point where sheapards hooks and fire control springs have lost their "spring", I've burned wood handgusrds off and melted plastic grips off the receiver. Welding gloves are usefull...

Just my opinion... Its not like I do this for a living... Wait... I do, do this for a living...lol

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Hello. I have no idea who makes the 'best' AK clone. My experience is limited to the 2 WASRs I have. I love the things. Reliable, rugged, and accurate enough with iron sites to 200 meters or so. The only changes I have made is to replace the rear sights to Williams' aperature sights. I have always done well with 'peep' sites. I paid $319 for the first one and $349 for the second one (about two years ago), from AIM Surplus.

·
Registered
142 Posts

The wiki is a good article. Mostly fact, very little opinion. The only thing to be gleaned from it, for our purposes here, is the difference between milled and stamped weapons. There's no argument from me in that regard. Those differences are quite real and demonstrable.

The real question, however, is in defining "best" in terms of the AK's that are commonly available to us. For me, "best" means a rifle that is reliable, durable, and repeatable, all at a reasonable cost. There's simply no sound argument that can be made that a Saiga is functionally inferior to any other stamped, factory AK-pattern rifle. In fact, given the issues with kit guns that are rebuilt in mass quantities, the Saiga is often superior in terms of fit and finish, reliability, and accuracy. Often for about the same money as well. The exception, of course, is Arsenal, and we all know how comparatively expensive they are.

Are we considering an historical question, or are we considering going out and buying a new rifle this afternoon?

·
Registered
135 Posts

I can't do anything about the round cost, but there is about to be a $8 mag conversion for a Saiga .308 (the mag is $8, not the adapter).

·
Banned
630 Posts
I have two milled Bulgarians I bought some years ago, very well finished, absolutely reliable, the best I have been able to do at 100yds though is a 5 inch group....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts