Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping around for a good scope for an AR-15 that currently has no sights. I'm looking for suggestions on BUIS and scopes. I already know about the EOTechs but don't want to spend $500 on one.

The rifle has the 16 in barrel and will be mounting the front flip up sight on the gas block.

So any help, suggestion, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. With all the AR guys on board I hope to hear some decent advice :). Thanks
Crypto

·
Registered
90 Posts
if you are looking for a good scope then $500 is about the average. that is good for my standards so you might find a $200 scope that you consider good. a great set of irons for back up are LaRue tactical, they cost around $240 so price on the high end. considering the trijicon acog i have cost around $1300 and the eotech's i got go for around $500-$600 the iron sights are cheap. i suggest you hold out and get the higher quility. try used too.

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
do you want magnification or not?
If you think the EOTech is pricey, check out an ACOG...it'll cost more than the gun.

Are you building a range gun, or a weapon you'll bet your life on?

the EOTech was the way to go for me. I got the 512 and LaRue flip up rear BUIS. I left the front sight stock, added some rails, a grip , and a sure fire.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm currently looking for something that wont break the bank. I just bought the AR yesterday and don't have much to spend on sights. I was looking for something in the $200 range but if there is a big gap in performance I could maybe go higher. I do want magnification so right now I'm not looking at EOTechs, maybe down the road though.

Here is one scope that caught my eye for about $219
http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/catalog/tactical_dms

And this brand, Midwest Ind, of BUIS has a good price plus is american made.
http://cgwgun.com/detail.aspx?ID=317

I just wonder what the difference is with the BUIS. If they aim well and are made from the same material as the higher priced one whats the worst that will happen? I figure that whatever will break one sight will do the same to another similar sight. Witht that in mind the only downside would be that they don't sight very well.

I would like to have the scope mounted so that it can either be quickly detached or flip out of the way. I have seen both styles of mounts. The ones that remain on the rifle and flip to the side are tougher to find at the moment.

Thanks again for the responces.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i have an AR15 too that im building to be my grab and go rifle with an AK on the side but im saving for the ACOG cause i know in the end it will serve me better due to it not requiring to have batteries and it having such a good reputation with the military to me i think its worth the saving money iron sights are a must though u should always have them ready incase ur optics fail u for any reason. i personally like the PRI flip up front sight gas block. i have not yet decided on a rear iron sight but for sure it will be flip up too as so to not get in the way of the optics.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I have heard that the scope should be mounted on a raised platform to allow use of the BUIS by peeping underneath the scope. Is this really the best way to do it with a magnifying optic?

I didn't want to have to peep under the scope to use the BUIS. I thought that a quick release mount was the way to go but now I'm not so sure. Seems like those quick release mount aren't as quick to release as I thought they were

I'm not exactly sure about how all this works and I'm getting a bit frustrated. I'm not sure which way to go with this but I'm still leaning towards the BUIS from Midwest Ind.

BTW I liked the scope moulton. Its small enough to not become a problem to mount.
I almost got a CMMG AR this time around. I'm considering if I want a stripped lower by CMMG or another brand for a future build up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks guys. I have heard that the scope should be mounted on a raised platform to allow use of the BUIS by peeping underneath the scope. Is this really the best way to do it with a magnifying optic?

I didn't want to have to peep under the scope to use the BUIS. I thought that a quick release mount was the way to go but now I'm not so sure. Seems like those quick release mount aren't as quick to release as I thought they were

I'm not exactly sure about how all this works and I'm getting a bit frustrated. I'm not sure which way to go with this but I'm still leaning towards the BUIS from Midwest Ind.

BTW I liked the scope moulton. Its small enough to not become a problem to mount.
I almost got a CMMG AR this time around. I'm considering if I want a stripped lower by CMMG or another brand for a future build up.
Quick detach mounts can be found here: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok?category=Optic+Mounts($$$$)
Or youcould just get some rings with qick detach mounts built in.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So my next question then is... does the scope need to be re-sighted to the rifle every time its removed and put back?

I liked the ideal of being able to pop the scope on and off the rifle without having to worry about sighting it in every time. I just don't know if its possible or wishful thinking. :confused:

·
3/5
528 Posts

·
3/5
528 Posts
So my next question then is... does the scope need to be re-sighted to the rifle every time its removed and put back?

I liked the ideal of being able to pop the scope on and off the rifle without having to worry about sighting it in every time. I just don't know if its possible or wishful thinking. :confused:
With return to zero mounts, quite possible.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Crypto,

I would recommend going with a solid well built optic like the aimpoint.
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=19
thats farily close to your price range and has a return to zero mount. Plus its Larue if your not happy neither are they. Also most larue mounts are quick detach and shoot in the same spot when you put it back on. I would spend at least as much on the optic as the rifle. After all they better you see the better you shoot.

5.7mm

·
Registered
282 Posts
any mount u buy from larue tactical i think they have a gauruntee that it retures to zero if u place it back in the same place it was when you took it off and that goes for aimpoints eo techs watevers........ im still fond of that ACOG though even for its all big expensive price because as i said before no batteries :D but if i had a second choice i would probably go with aimpoint or eo tech its a real hard decision between the 2 acog is #1 to me though but those dang prices keep u from getting one always for a while till u save up :rolleyes:

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Millett DMS-1 Tactical Scope with a red donut. Works really well on an M-4 type rifle. Cost is about $215.00 or so.
I know just the one you mean. I've had my eye on that one too.

My update is that I have front and rear flip up sights comming. They are by Midwest Ind (MI) and it was a good deal through ebay. Both brand new as a package deal for under $190.

For optics I'm leaning towards the scope from Millett right now but I'm going to have alot of time to think this over while I'm saving up for this. I'm pretty much tapped out after buying Rifle/ammo/sights...

Thanks again to everyone who posted and feel free to keep the suggestions comming. I've still got much to learn about properly outfitting an AR. :)

Reactions: Caveman

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My flip up iron sights came in today. Its nice to be able to aim now. Maybe I misread from the MI web site but I had the impression that the front flip up sight would fold forward if it was the version made to attach onto the gas block and the other style made to be mounted onto a rail forearm would fold towards the user. My version says its for gas block mounting but it folds back towards me which is a problem due to my hand guard. So my front sight cannot fold down completely.

I hope to take the rifle to the range next week. Since its a new rifle I'm going to have to break it in. The manufacturer suggests that I clean the barrel and chamber after each shot for the first 25 shots. Then after each 10 shots for the next 100. At about a half dollar per round its going to be pretty expensive.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are some pictures to better show what I was explaining. The first pic shows how the front sight cannot fully fold down. I don't want to mount it backwards so I'll just live with it.

Second pic is with the sights up and me trying to catch a good shot of it with one hand.

Last is my basic AR with no bells or whistles. Its my first and I got it before the presidential election so I'm happy with it. :)

Attachments

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts