Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a buckskin neck pouch. I want to add it to my GHB and maybe another to my BOB.

Plan to carry the absolute essentials for survival in it. (A really original idea, I know).

My question is

The kit came with buckskin straps for closure and for hanging around your neck. But I worry that they are not strong enough should it get hung on something they may break.

My other thought was to use para-cord. But I'm thinking if it got caught on something I might wind up hanging myself with the para-cord.

So, para-cord or buck skin?

Am I over-thinking it?

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
my thoughts...

go with the paracord, you may die by hanging, but at least you'll have your essentials with you. :D:

seriously, they are both strong enough, just use the one that you feel more comfort with. see if the nylon digs in or is more abrasive on the skin. if worst came to worst, you could use a cotton shoelace.

--------- Eric

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts

Sorry, first thing that came to mind...

Reactions: ShellbackBill

·
Primeval Tendencies
83 Posts
I've used leather boot laces for things like that, and they've always worked great for me, and they're cheap. I think I paid $3 for 2 60 inch leather laces at Tractor Supply.

·
Proverbs 22:3
897 Posts
I never use a neck pouch; cargo pockets or belt pouch only.
That being said, I would use dog tag chain for a neck pouch. I would rather loose my gear than get hung up by the neck.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Use 550 cord with a cord lock. That way if you get caught up on something you don't get hung since you can just squeeze the lock and pull it off. I did the same thing with a pouch I have. I really like the idea and think the small leather pouch is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
923 Posts
On my neck knife i use gutted paracord, knotted skull head on one end and the other end has a plastic cord lock so you have an option to press release button & paracord will slip out of plastic end. Not sure how much weight before it would slip out on its own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts