Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the new MythBusters episode, 'Coffin Punch' an improvised armor is made from "a high strength gypsum cement called FGR 95 which is filled with poly-proplene fiber. Now we've also inserted two layers of common bathroom tiles a little bit back from the front."

It completely stopped 9mm, .45 caliber, & buckshot rounds.:eek:

Deer slug & .223 went straight through.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I saw that. That was amazing. It's bulky, but still, made from household materials. Where would you put that, Type II or IIIA?

·
Registered
18 Posts
lol i watched that last night i was amazed its only good for pistol calibers tho right???
Buckshot too. But they only tested 5 different guns on it, so I think more testing is in order. Just keep in mind that most regular police issue vests won't stop a deer slug or an assault rifle round without the heavy Type IV plate. (I'm a dope when it comes to firearms, so don't quote me on that.)

Perhaps this idea can even be refined improved. Heck, some of us could probably do some development on our own.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I have wondered what a piece of 3/4 plywood between two pieces of 1/16 sheet metal would stop. I know it would do little against riffle rounds. I will try this some day soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have wondered what a piece of 3/4 plywood between two pieces of 1/16 sheet metal would stop. I know it would do little against riffle rounds. I will try this some day soon.
It's hard to calculate without actually going onto a test range, but it probably depends on the quality and thickness of the metal part. I wouldn't trust my life to it though.

One other issue I became aware of recently on the TV Show "Time Warp" is that a bullet impact that isn't contained and "absorbed" properly on impact will erupt in a blast of high-velocity lead fragments. They can be just as dangerous as getting shot.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I been trying to come up some way to make the area below the house windows more bullet resistant. Will be having new siding installed on the house around summer. Thinking now at looking at this gypsum cement FGR 95 for installation on the exterior before installing then siding over it. Depending on the expense may just do the front and main bedroom where the greatest threat would be.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Just looked it up on line and see whey it worked so well.

Hydrocal FGR Gypsum Cement's features:

Versatile - An easily decorated surface accepts most oil-base, alkyd, or latex paints, and most stains, lacquers, varnishes, or shellacs to create just the right finish for your application.

Thin and Lightweight - 1/10 in. thick Hydrocal FGR Gypsum Cement panels weigh only 9 to 10 lb. per sq. ft., reducing the costs of reinforcing the building.

Strong - Because Hydrocal FGR Gypsum Cement is reinforced with glass fibers it is strong and durable. Test results show a flexural strength of 4,000 psi, flexural modulus of 2.1 x 10^6 psi, and impact strength of 8.0 to 8.8 ft. lb./in.
Fire Resistant - Laboratory fire tests conducted on varying thicknesses of Hydrocal FGR Gypsum Cement (with 5% glass fiber content and without face coating) substantiate its noncombustibility and show no appreciable fuel contribution and zero flame spread. (The tests were conducted in accordance with ASTM E136-94A "Standard Test Method for Behavior of Materials in a Vertical Tube Furnace at 750°C")

Easy to Install - Hydrocall FGR Gypsum Cement can be precast off-site allowing less work in the field and reduction of on-site costs.

http://www.plastermaster.com/plasterpower/fgr95.htm

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
It's hard to calculate without actually going onto a test range, but it probably depends on the quality and thickness of the metal part. I wouldn't trust my life to it though.

One other issue I became aware of recently on the TV Show "Time Warp" is that a bullet impact that isn't contained and "absorbed" properly on impact will erupt in a blast of high-velocity lead fragments. They can be just as dangerous as getting shot.
That is why I think the Idea would be worth a test. The theory is, the first layer of sheet metal, glued flush against the plywood, will flatten and break up the bullet. The plywood will then slow the particles or flattened chunk, hopefully enough for the back sheet metal to contain. I may test the idea with multiple layers/thicknesses of plywood, or try high density MDF board.:thumb:

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
Protection for drive by shootings

So following Madcritters line of reasoning.
So anyway while searching ou this product i came across this product that is suppose to be used to patch roads, cement like, that in 28 days it has almost 7,000 psi strength.

(see attached )

I'm a fan of low profile, so i was thinking, what if. You took this product, used it to make outside 2X2 pavers. Use them for you walkway or patio for now, if you times got tuff and you decieded that you needed them, you just pick you patio up one pave at a time and move them into the house and place them against the wall you are trying to protect.
If you took your time and casted them right, you could stand up a whole wall of protection, in about a hour. If you had everything ready, you would need some good screws and some type of gusset, to hold the top of the bottom row and then the top of the next row and then stack the third row again with gussets. If you protected up 6' should be suffiecent.
The best part your wife thinks you are building a patio for her to use and really you are preparing for something far more important.

Attachments

Reactions: JPH

·
Registered
10 Posts
as was said on the video maybe portland cement should be tested.instead of wood,I think several layers of steel ie steel ,cement,tile..more steel,cement,tile.just a thought

CraigP

·
Just fed up.
964 Posts
How about, doing the above, but having multiple silk sheets at the back & another layer of plywood?
After all, they used silk for the first bullet proof vests.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Really? I haven't seen that. But I find it very interesting. Have you really tried this? Even if it is bulky, we could use this on our cars instead. So we could have bullet proof cars.

·
No longer a prepper
3,221 Posts
What if you used silk layers with the cement in between them?

Spanish conquistadors used layers of linen as an armor to stop arrows cold. The greeks used glued layers of linen to make their armor.

Silk is better than linen. During the time of Ghengis Khan, the plainsmen wore silk under their armor because if an arrow got through, the silk would wrap it up and make the arrow easier to extract. It also protected soldiers from the sharp tips on the side of the arrow.

Silk is good stuff. I bet if you made enough layers of this cement and silk you could even stop rifle rounds. If you made enough of it before building a house, you could probably nail it to the studs in the wall and bullet proof a room or two.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Why dont you guys buy the cheap flak jackets and pull thick aluminum on the inside of it? It would hold the metal fragments in the material

·
No longer a prepper
3,221 Posts
Why dont you guys buy the cheap flak jackets and pull thick aluminum on the inside of it? It would hold the metal fragments in the material
Because that would suck and be very heavy, it would be super uncomfortable, not work very well, and we are not just talking about personal protection.

I think the idea of the OP was to discuss protecting walls or vehicles.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Because that would suck and be very heavy, it would be super uncomfortable, not work very well, and we are not just talking about personal protection.

I think the idea of the OP was to discuss protecting walls or vehicles.
Ah, on a side note...It wouldnt weight much more than a factory flak jacket. Ive worn them many times when I was a kid and my dad was doing PT on the farm and wanted someone to go with him.

·
No longer a prepper
3,221 Posts
Ah, on a side note...It wouldnt weight much more than a factory flak jacket. Ive worn them many times when I was a kid and my dad was doing PT on the farm and wanted someone to go with him.
It depends on what thickness of aluminum you use. Plus flak jackets aren't light to begin with.

However, if you used the cement that has been discussed earlier in this thread and layered with silk on the inside of a flak jacket, then we might be talking about some good protection.

I might have to try that.

·
Registered
287 Posts
nylon cargo straps glued to ceramic tiles with heavy duty glue has promise to me...

It may not be the exact material used, but at least they are all in the same family.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts