Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty handy. I have a pot load of antique hand powered woodworking tools and some skills with them.

Trying to think of some things I can build using those skills and tools to barter after SHTF.

One thing I have thought might work well would be bows, and crossbows. And of course arrows and bolts.

I also enjoy building almost anything, and there is a market for that sort of thing now.

Does this sound like a good plan? Is there anything else I might do with my tools and skills.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I like that idea and think it would be a great post SHTF skill! Should be in high demand as well. Of course someone will speak up that it may be used against you, but as long as you have the firearms and those who know how to use them watching your back, you should be fine.

I doubt there will be many people who have the knowledge to build such things and you'd be in high demand!

Another thing to think about is building and repairing hand tools--gardening tools and wood-cutting tools. The metal from shovels and rakes will usually outlast the wooden handles, but if you're handy with woodworking that might also be a nice niche for ya to be that 'wooden-handle-maker-dood'. Team up with an iron/metal worker and the possibilities are endless!

Duke

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another thing to think about is building and repairing hand tools--gardening tools and wood-cutting tools.

Duke
Great idea. Maybe I should be putting in a supply of the things I need to re-handle tools, like the wedges for hammers and such. And a few extra files for tool sharpening. I already have a full set of the tools necessary to sharpen hand saws.

And now you got me thinking. Seems like I have a magazine around that told how to make two man cross cut saws out of industrial band saw blades. Got to look that up.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,576 Posts
If you have the skills, and the woods available, it might be valuable alright. But just having strong do it yourself skills and the tools to do it with may be quite a valuable barter skill set too.

·
Homesteader
1,222 Posts
That is why I bought an old forge set up with a barrel full of old blacksmith tools years ago. These days, it is a skill that is more a hobby than anything else, but in the future it could be a very marketable skill.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Great idea about the arrows. I always wonder how I would replace my arrows (yes, I have other weapons). My indian ancestors will not be proud to know, I have no idea how to make one.:( I better do some research.:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts