Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Country don't mean dumb
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ran across an interesting link recently, and wanted to post it here (for educational purposes only).

It is copyrighted information, but it is free as long as the following disclosures are presented:

Building a Home Distillation Apparatus.
Copyright (C) January, 1999 Small Still Engineering, LLC
This document is free; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the
terms of the License Agreement contained in Appendix 1.
This document is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.​

Now that the lawyers are happy, here is your very own DIY Still (pdf)(.

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
Please research ALL laws regaurding the production of spirits vs alcohol.
Under federal guidelines, it is legal too produce up too 1500 gallons per year, for ethonol too be used in your vehical with a 64% tax credit as long as you follow the guidelines and procure the permit from the federal government.
(The Permit is free)
However, your local areas ie: Police, Sherriff, Constable etc. may frown apon it.
So contact your local athuorities before any production begins.
As for consumption of your home distillates, different rules apply !!!
Warning, it is illegal too distill alcohol for private consumption.
Unlike making Beer and Wine.
It is possible too procure the permits, but you will need lots of mammon.
Good Luck !!

Reactions: madcritter

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
My grand pa was a bootlegger back during the Prohibition time seems he kind of just kept on making it after it was legal to buy booze again. He was a poor dirt farmer but purchased the first model T Ford in the area so's he could beat the other bootleggers to the bigger buyers.
Sure wish I had had a chance to know the old guy a Scot/Irish and Coratan Indian decedent died when I was one year old he was 76.
Found out about his younger days when my cousin and I were deer hunting in the woods behind the old home place and found a pile of old copper tubing and broken mason jars. Was talking about it during supper and my mother and aunt told us the store about him. Seems he had about 3 stills going in different locations around the farm.

Sorry did not mean to try and hijack. Just kind of proud of the old guy.

·
Country don't mean dumb
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a great story.
Your grandpa would have fit in real well around the "gold coast" area near my hometown of Jackson MS.

Prohibition didn't end around here until the mid 60's, and there are still a number of dry counties.

I've been thinking about alternative fuel sources, and ethanol is a possibility, provided the right feedstock.

And, building a DIY still makes more sense to me than shelling out $10k for the only commercially available ethanol production system that I've been able to find.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Thanks for this great information!

There's nothing illegal about a water still is there? I have been wanting to build one of these for water distillation, and this design looks like it would work great for either water or ethanol.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Check out your local home brew warehouse they usually carry books as well as grains malt chemicals like amylase as well. My favoritestill used to be a pepsi keg. only processes 4 gallons of mash at a time but not bad to get started with. With a good reflux column you can get really pure water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.