Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got 5 bags of wheat about 2 months ago and just went to put them in 5 gallon containers and EWWWWW 2 out of 5 bags are full of BUGS!! I hate throwing food out is there anything I can do with it? I was thinking of planting some of it but what about the rest? Would it be good for sprouts? Thanks :D Kay

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
So I got 5 bags of wheat about 2 months ago and just went to put them in 5 gallon containers and EWWWWW 2 out of 5 bags are full of BUGS!! I hate throwing food out is there anything I can do with it? I was thinking of planting some of it but what about the rest? Would it be good for sprouts? Thanks :D Kay
How sad! Yes, 2 months is way too long to leave them sit.

You could wash them and sprout them... plant them... freeze the bugs and eat the grain when you are too hungry to care.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have wheat that I have had for 7+ years and I never had this problem (even sitting in their original bags) :( Very frustrating.

Thank you for you response :D!!

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
Once bugs are in wheat, there is nothing to do but throw it out.
Even if you separate the bugs from the wheat, the eggs will hatch and new bugs will remerge. The freezing thing can get rid of the adults and eggs, however the bugs seem to come back always.
The bags infected probably had eggs on the wheat when you bought it, and were not infected at your home. Thats my guess.

·
FEMA Region IV
458 Posts
Aww! Dey r wittle weavils!

^_^

Yea their eggs can lie waiting in **** for a loong time. And when they hatch they will lay dormant, but when the fresh air seeps in they will all come to the top. I notice this with imported sushi rice. Its definitely alarming..

I wouldn't consider wevils harmful tho after the fact. cook em and eat em! more protein. But you definitely dont want active weavils running around in ur stuff if ur gonna store it...so now that they are alive I dont think there is much you can do..but try freezing the stuff as soon as u get it, then storing it.

Thats the problem with organic stuff

·
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly
3,016 Posts
You should have thrown in a cup of D.E. That would have kept them at bay.

·
FEMA Region IV
458 Posts
FYI Just about any and all organic grains will have weavils in it. Their larvae survive the milling process but will die once cooked. Adult weavils when u open it means it will milled several months ago (but you kno that..u had it for a couple months).

Thats generally why the brominate or radiate flour too. But then thats not organic.

But once u cook the stuff, its still good :)

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Thank you everyone!! Chuckbyf what it D.E?? THanks
Diatomaceous earth. It's the skeletons of teeny sea creatures ground to dust. Very sharp on the microscopic level, cuts up little critters that eat it from the inside. Grrrr.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
You can put some wheat in a damp towel and put in a warm place. Leave it a few days and you can check the germination. Weevil infected wheat taste terrible. If the germination is to poor to plant. I would feed it to some chickens.

·
FEMA Region IV
458 Posts
Diatomaceous earth. It's the skeletons of teeny sea creatures ground to dust. Very sharp on the microscopic level, cuts up little critters that eat it from the inside. Grrrr.
Errrr . Actually :). It just dries them out, from the outside. Its such a good "filter" it sucks up their oily exo skeleton coating forcing them to get rly thirsty and die.

U could probly haul some around in a bucket to filter ur water too.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Actually, DE works both ways. It rubs off the waxy exterior on the hard exoskeleton and allows them to dehydrate. More or less like removing your skin. On larger soft bodied insects/nematodes that digest it, it effectively wipes out their digestive tract and slices up their reproductive organs so they can't lay eggs.

On humans though, it has zero effect and passes right through you just as any other silica product would. The first poster wasn't that far off though. DE holds about 10X its own weight in liquid. It used to be used to hold nitro in suspension to make it safe - - dynamite.

It also has wonderful microfine abrasive properties. Mix it with a bit of soap and you have a great cleanser, but really bad for shiney surfaces.

Every prepper should have at least 50# of this stuff in stock. Since it's silica, it never gets old or goes bad.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
I think that if you use diatomacious earth you can save your wheat. Just wash it before using. You can also spread it around the house (outside of course) to keep bugs away.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,581 Posts
It's probably not too late to add food grade diatomaceous earth. But you'll have little dead bug corpses to sort out when you go to use the wheat. The DE will kill the live ones and any that might hatch.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,581 Posts
Every prepper should have at least 50# of this stuff in stock. Since it's silica, it never gets old or goes bad.
I keep suggesting that. But it seems that most people are just unfamiliar with it, no matter what.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I keep suggesting that. But it seems that most people are just unfamiliar with it, no matter what.
That is very true. After reading/hearing about it numerous time here I had to look up what the stuff is. I now want to have a supply on hand because of it's many uses.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Bag it up with Mylar and O2 absorbers.

Within a couple weeks they'll all be dead and you can be thankful for the extra protein.;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts